Back to Neil Kinnock for a second.

This I had not remembered:

A few months after the general election, Kinnock gained brief attention in the United States in August 1987 when it was discovered that then-US Senator Joe Biden of Delaware (and future 47th Vice President) plagiarised one of Kinnock's speeches during his 1988 presidential campaign in a speech at a Democratic Party debate in Iowa.[27] This led to Biden's withdrawal of his presidential campaign.[28]

Very strange thing to do.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

A few months after the general election, Kinnock gained brief attention in the United States in August 1987 when it was discovered that then-US Senator Joe Biden of Delaware (and future 47th Vice President) plagiarised one of Kinnock's speeches during his 1988 presidential campaign in a speech at a Democratic Party debate in Iowa.[27] This led to Biden's withdrawal of his presidential campaign.[28]

To plagiarise a speech? Or to withdraw when found out?

Standards have changed in the intervening 32 years. Especially in the last four.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Going back to your smokebox door issue, if you can’t get it out, you can just file it flat with the face of the smokebox. 
To make a new door is not actually that difficult. You need some plasticard and a very technical instrument. A pair of dividers, but with a screw adjuster, so that you can set the pointy legs at the radius you require, and it will stay there. You then just keep turning them round and round on the plasticard and you will have you door blank. The it is just a case of filing the door to the shape you want. 

Thinking in the back of my mind, is the shape you want like the superheated Black Motor’s one? I’ve probably got one or two of them kicking around somewhere....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

There’s one of him as a Roman in Hull

607CDED3-C667-498A-ADD2-449DC89F4675.jpeg.8e1dd69ab8d8a5e49ae64ee6123fe758.jpeg

A statue of William III as a Roman, in Hull, or, as a Roman in Hull?

I think the people should be told.

29 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I distinctly remember that episode, indeed, I suspect I only knew that Kinnock had made that 'thousand generations' claim because a US politician had pinched it.  It was, thus, a sort of double-stupid; stupid to plagiarise and stupid to plagiarise a stupid line.

What I had completely forgotten was that it was Joe Biden.

Well, well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

On DJT, I have a theory - he will lose the vote, but play the 'fraudulent postal voting/covid stopped me campaigning properly' cards and take it to the Supreme Court, which he has loaded with his lackeys and who be reminded on which side their bread is buttered.  As a result he will gain a second term.  He will then try and do a 'Putin', trying to amend the constitution to get himself unlimited terms of office.  When (if) that fails he will shoehorn in one of his sons/sons-in-law as a candidate in 4 years time, ensure he gets into office by whatever means are necessary and so continue to pull the strings.

It has been said that Ivanka harbours political ambitions...

Of course, if the Great POTUS were to parrot one of BoJos bombastic efforts, the moment he was found out the would be tweeting that it was fake news and/or that BoJo had pinched it off him...

Wouldn't get HIM withdrawing his candidacy!

Yes, I too remember the Kinnockgate incident but beyond wondering why if you'd pinched one of his speeches and neglected reducing the verbiage by two thirds, I didn't remember the disgraced candidate.  Things were only half as bad then as they are now!

As for the statues, both Billy and Olly get a mention by Flanders and Swann....

• Agree 1

Biden used the Kinnock passage(s) on a few occasions previously and always attributed them.  On the famous occasion he forgot and that sunk him.  He and Kinnock are on friendly terms and have joked together about the story.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

As for the statues, both Billy and Olly get a mention by Flanders and Swann....

I had to be very careful to make sure my earphones were plugged into my phone before playing that again; I now live in Wales and I know there's at least one Irishman somewhere around here and probably a Scot somewhere too!

Probably most of the others mentioned too, actually...

Although meant entirely in jest, as I've always understood it, such details as that tend to get missed these days when people want to complain about things.

Edited by sem34090
  • Agree 2

More joy this morning, this time from my trade rag (Law Society Gazette).  I tell you this, regardless of one's politics, once the politicians start undermining the justice system, we should all worry. To paraphrase, yesterday they came for the migrants and I did nothing ....  Echoes of James II and the judges, too.

It's also an egregious attempt to shift the blame for our creaking criminal justice system onto those who administer it and away from those (Ministers) who have failed to fund it. Honestly, I could slap that mendacious buffoon silly sometimes. 

In his keynote speech to the Conservative Party conference, Boris Johnson [said] "we are also backing those police, and protecting the public, by ... stopping the whole criminal justice system from being hamstrung by what the home secretary would doubtless and rightly call the lefty human rights lawyers and other do-gooders"'

James Mulholland QC, chair of the Criminal Bar Association, said: 'The politics of cuts to justice knows neither left nor right only right and wrong in terms of the delay created by government’s wilful running down of the criminal justice system. Regrettably, the government’s short-sighted approach to criminal justice means that after more than a decade of cuts to the rates set for legal aid fees and lack of investment across the entire criminal justice system, it has strung itself up, creating a backlog of criminal cases that are at five year highs, charging rates which have fallen to a record low of just 7% - less than half the rate of five years ago - whilst police reported crime levels are at all time highs.

It's a piece with earlier spin to the effect that legal practitioners, merely discharging professional and ethical duties to the Court and their duty to present the best case possible for their clients are in fact, as a result "activists" because Minsters wish to demonise the people they represent.   

It's pure popularism; 'don't blame us for everything that's wrong, it's all the fault of those migrants/rapists/anyone we can think of and the lefty activist lawyers who conspire to harm Glorious Britain by letting them into the coutry/keeping them out of prison.  Let us deal with them'.  To my mind, though the methods will be far less horrific, you've only got to substitute the words "jews" and "communists" to see a family resemblance in this kind of deliberately divisive populism. Thus I fulfill one of the laws of internet posting, So, why not substitute 'Mexicans' and 'Democrats', if you prefer; it's all the same thing once you start talking in this way, and Bozza's starting down the road to Full Trump. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Very, very, very uncomfortable times, because a great many people have been marinated for so long in populist journalism, the LOOB (I’ll let you work it out) that circulates via Facebook, and even such apparently innocent things as lifestyle magazines, that they genuinely don’t see anything wrong in actions that simultaneously de-civilise society and massively disadvantage the most vulnerable (I mean the clients there, not the lawyers!).

Trouble is, there’s no ‘alternative voice’. The Trades Union movement and things like cooperatives, workers educational groups etc used, aside from whatever else they did, and whether you agreed with some of that or not, to act as that alternative voice in the ear of enough ordinary people to give a different perspective ...... we now seem monocular, if that’s the right word.

Even the ‘green’ critique of ‘how things are’ is muted and very definitely ineffectual, probably because it is all stick (doom) rather than carrots (a better existence beyond consumerism and thoughtless exploitation of resources).

And its bl00dy well raining again! And there's still a pandemic on!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Very, very, very uncomfortable times

I will not comment, but just ask people to read this Bill, now past its second reading in the Commons.

Then, if its implication remain unclear to you, read This Article in a respected right of centre periodical.

Other views are available.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a very long-established general principle that obedience to the law is subject to conscience - there can be occasions where it is right to disobey the law, for example where the law is manifestly unjust, or to follow the letter of the law would have consequences of greater evil than to break it, or where the law conflicts with the laws of a higher court. However, hand in hand with this ancient principle goes the caveat that if one is disobedient to the law, one must be prepared to accept the penalty.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

There is a very long-established general principle that obedience to the law is subject to conscience - there can be occasions where it is right to disobey the law, for example where the Law is manifestly unjust, or to follow the letter of the law would have consequences of greater evil than to break it, or where the law conflicts with the laws of a higher court. However, hand in hand with this ancient principle goes the caveat that if one is disobedient to the law, one must be prepared to accept the penalty.

As you conclude, just try it and see where it gets you!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, simonmcp said:

Apparently my family line was traced all the way back to William's right hand man, Fido (faithful) that's why so many dogs were called it:rolleyes::D:wacko:

We called our each of our dogs 'Phydough' :pleasantry:,
The Vet wasn't to happy having to write that name down each time we visited.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

As you conclude, just try it and see where it gets you!

The state of Israel?.

The good Friday agreement?.

If you planning on taking on an opponent with the size and encompassment of a sovereign state, you had better be sure that you are in a position to do it enough damage that it will either compromise or concede.

There is much talk of attacks on Civil Liberty and human rights, but with all liberties come responsibilities, one of which is not to do anything which will do harm to your fellow citizens.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Every right has its conjugate duty and vice versa.

2 hours ago, rocor said:

If you planning on taking on an opponent with the size and encompassment of a sovereign state, you had better be sure that you are in a position to do it enough damage that it will either compromise or concede.

Or, that its moral turpitude will become self-evident.

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Every right has its conjugate duty and vice versa.

Or, that its moral turpitude will become self-evident.

I am not sure if this comment is going to be regarded as an evocation of Godwin’s law, but should not the moral loveliness of Nazism have been recognised by the German populous for what it was prior to everything going…  well, nasty.

Oh!. hell I predict that Andy is going to soon show up,  and put the first penalty  points on my licence.

4 minutes ago, rocor said:

Oh!. hell I predict that Andy is going to soon show up,  and put the first penalty  points on my licence.

I won't tell him if you don't!

We do take liberties here, it's true, but then, we use them wisely. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, rocor said:

I am not sure if this comment is going to be regarded as an evocation of Godwin’s law, but should not the moral loveliness of Nazism have been recognised by the German populous for what it was prior to everything going…  well, nasty.

“Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than “politics.” They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.” - Naomi Shulman

• Like 6