8 minutes ago, drmditch said:

There is a good line in one of the Ben Aaronovitch books:

'Woman so busy inspiring her followers that she doesn't have time to pull her dress up.'

(or words to that effect.)

(Can recommend the 'Rivers of London' series. Good light relief, although have not abandoned the 5th century - see above.)

Yes, sorry about Delacroix' 'male gaze', but it was the only stirring 'manning the barricades in the cause of liberty' picture I could think of.

The Rivers of London series looks fun, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Well, I'm 50% Yorkshire by blood, but I know what you mean.

Up here you realise that there is The North, essentially equating to the ancient kingdom of Northumbria, and then there's Yorkshire and that the two are really rather different.

As I understand it, the Kingdom of Northumbria was formed by the union of two earlier kingdoms, which may have been British kingdoms taken over as going concerns by the hordes of immigrant Angles: Bernicia, the area between the Tees and the Forth, and Deira, from The tees to the Humber - to a very rough approximation, Northumberland and Yorkshire but Bernicia took in much of what is now southern Scotland along with Westmoreland and Cumberland while Deria encompassed Lancashire. The western side of the kingdom must have had significant settlement by Angles as when the Norse arrived, by boat from the Irish Sea, they had to take up hill farming.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As I understand it, the Kingdom of Northumbria was formed by the union of two earlier kingdoms, which may have been British kingdoms taken over as going concerns by the hordes of immigrant Angles: Bernicia, the area between the Tees and the Forth, and Deira, from The tees to the Humber - to a very rough approximation, Northumberland and Yorkshire but Bernicia took in much of what is now southern Scotland along with Westmoreland and Cumberland while Deria encompassed Lancashire. The western side of the kingdom must have had significant settlement by Angles as when the Norse arrived, by boat from the Irish Sea, they had to take up hill farming.

Yes, though you lose Yorkshire once it becomes Viking*

*You'd understand this if you'd met my mother.

15 hours ago, Edwardian said:

1877724572_Eugne_Delacroix_-_Le_28_Juillet._La_Libert_guidant_le_peuple.jpg.8aeb291018709da4a0a48d4afb4217d6.jpg

In the interests of French maidenhood I would like to point out that she has averted her eyes at the display of moribund wedding tackle by the chap who lost his culottes in the heat of the moment. The chap in the front, who is having a lie down, had the decency not to lose his.

Otherwise why isn't it that our modern armed mobs aren't led by half naked sheilas?

Is this yet another unforeseen result of the Metoo movement - "I swear I was out in front of this mob of angry Parisians, when someone said it would be so much more uplifting in a French way if I exposed my  upper body, well I did, and next minute this yobbo ripped off his trousers in front of me. Fortunately a Royalist musket ball taught him to keep it zipped and we felled the Bastille"

Vive la exposé 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

we felled the Bastille"

Point of order: as an allegorical depiction of the July Revolution of 1830, the Bastille didn't come into it, having been demolished in 1790. 

Facts, ladies and gentlemen, facts. They are the enemy of totalitarianism. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Point of order: as an allegorical depiction of the July Revolution of 1830, the Bastille didn't come into it, having been demolished in 1790. 

Pedant! as a person of British descent I prefer not to be conversant in French erhumm!! history. And if you don't like those facts I have another set completely interchangeable with them .....  

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

why isn't it that our modern armed mobs aren't led by half naked sheilas?

Dunno, it's not as if you haven't the climate for it

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Once, perhaps .....

1010458409_LeagueofDecency1.jpg.6020e4a8ba20e205a3f5595ab34c3550.jpg

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

And have no place in modern tabloid journalism! 

Or social media

1270648935_LeagueofDecency2.jpg.617c3a6113106d1ac784dc6452b986b5.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

The chap who got man-covid...

Could you take those down, please?   Or at least replace them by pictures of Donald Duck (rhyming slang for what we could not give for him)?

Pretty please???

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought this might be the last place I would see images of the mad emperor of America.  For the sake of basic human decency could they please be removed.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Bastille was opened in 1859, ready for any more revolutions to come along5304DE26-1BE6-4A1A-8C71-4B8C6F232EAE.jpeg.48c37b8313460a29299afab82832c6d5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 08/10/2020 at 20:32, Hroth said:

What a bonkers picture!

A gal without a top, and a bloke without his trousers...

Very French....

Truly one of the sans culottes...

Late to the party again. Tant pis.

Edited by wagonman
Autocorrect tried to change 'Tant' into 'Want'...

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The chap who got man-covid...

Could you take those down, please?   Or at least replace them by pictures of Donald Duck (rhyming slang for what we could not give for him)?

Pretty please???

1 hour ago, Annie said:

I thought this might be the last place I would see images of the mad emperor of America.  For the sake of basic human decency could they please be removed.

Because I care ....

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

So now we've gone all Septic (rhyming slang alert) Does that mean anything pre-grouping, which in this case is realistically pretty well anything before 1976, is on message? Norfolk and Western anyone?

1948_Norfolk_and_Western_Railway_-_Land_of_Plenty.jpg.87b69f015856c07902eed39487e4ccb1.jpg

That's a pretty impressive outdoor layout.  Is it HO or O?  I'm so used to 2FS that I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between the larger/monstrous scales.

Jim  

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Bastille was opened in 1859, ready for any more revolutions to come along5304DE26-1BE6-4A1A-8C71-4B8C6F232EAE.jpeg.48c37b8313460a29299afab82832c6d5.jpeg

Looks more like a covered market for vegetables!

9 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

That's a pretty impressive outdoor layout.  Is it HO or O?  I'm so used to 2FS that I sometimes find it hard to differentiate between the larger/monstrous scales.

Jim  

Its one of those Lionel "O" gauge 3-rail layouts the Americans love, I believe.

8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

And, why are all those factories being eaten by a giant nematode? 

Its where Frank Herbert got his ideas for "Dune" from, they're all going to be turned into Spice...

• Like 3

Just now, Caley Jim said:

I haven't heard 'He who shall not be named' called that before, but it's very apposite!

Jim

Apparently contracting Covid-19 was a "blessing from God".

And you thought it couldn't get madder!

Still, it hardly matters, as within a few weeks it seems that all of us in the North East will be wiped out by the Plague.  Indeed, it won't be many months after that that Westminster will notice the fact.

I'm having an awful sense of déjà vu.....

177918505_RemainIndoors02.jpg.d92420ffb1947873d249aee0efb416a6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5