7 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

We were once told by a lady B&B owner in Wales that the Welsh were the Irish who couldn't swim.

Jim

Many writers over the century, have had a go at the Welsh, or just written about them from a position of assumed superiority. This must be very annoying if you're Welsh, of course, but it also seems to have left 12th-13th century cleric and civil servant, Gerald of Wales, with the need to identify someone other than the Welsh to mock and vilify.  He chose the Irish.

1549756886_geraldofwales_360x450.jpg.ef118103af4ff8e4a9d29f43e3443a6e.jpg

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You want Welshness? Try Patagonia.

I've mentioned this before, but there is a delightfully off-the-wall noir parody novel - Aberystwyth mon amour - which assumes an unsuccessful post-colonial conflict in South America; ''Patagonia, the Welsh Vietnam''.

mon-amour.jpg.7cc4d7a12249f404a2a94836b4e50339.jpg

As to our own noirist fantasies, hereabouts, as, IIRC, the Honourable Member for Sydney, St Enodoc, one observed, ''we'll always have Morpeth''

well-always-have-paris--.jpg.353be70360658b6ce68d83199e3e1778.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I can also vouch for the joy of reading Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth series – wonderful parody noir. There's a whole series of them to distract you from railway modelling...

If you want Welsh historians with a jaundiced view you could try Nennius, a few centuries earlier than Giraldus Cambrensis (or Gerry from Barry to his friends).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Where, exactly, is Through? It clearly has excellent rail and road connections but nothing ever seems to stop there!

I think it's somewhere near I'm Sorry I'm not in Service. 

Jim 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

13 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Well the South Walians barely count as Welsh

Uhm,, well as a a couple or more posters on RMWeb know,
'The Icon' first language is Welsh and he's from the Swansea Valley'
If go west of there, there's still a lot of Welsh spoken,
especially if you pop into a local pub.....

wales.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

After a while, the brainwashing takes effect and one becomes convinced that the London and North Western and Great Western Railways were Welsh companies with unimportant toe-holds in England. As an antidote, and one over on Gerald of Wales:

image.png.daec158dbc0babcd663cf35ca78bf6e7.png

By Milepost98 - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=50422363

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

What's wrong with political discussion?

Heck there's precious little political discussion happening anywhere else, at least here it can be held with reasonable people who don't refuse to accept that others have valid opinions.

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

What's wrong with political discussion?

Heck there's precious little political discussion happening anywhere else, at least here it can be held with reasonable people who don't refuse to accept that others have valid opinions.

You mean apart from the fact that it's probably against the site rules?!?

Yes, as you say, there are few places where anything that could be dignified by the word "discussion" takes place over politics.  Sadly, like the US, we are increasingly polarised and irreconcilable.

I think we're adequately self-policing here so there is no harm done, but it is easy to overlook the fact that some parishioners will find political diversions unattractive. Consideration needs to be shown to all.

Having said that, Red's statement was unusually emphatic for Castle Aching!

So, here is a picture of the latest locomotive intended for Barnstaple Town, a second Adams T1:

20201010_145906.jpg.6e0465ff968b675838a74f6aea7851f5.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

57199315-A6AE-4643-9DF0-083CC5DD2EF8.jpeg

Train station!  :ireful: :butcher:   I detest linguistic primitives who call Railway Stations 'Train Stations'.   At this rate of degradation of the English language we will all end up grunting at each other in condominiums and eating nothing but fast food purchased at McDonalds.   

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I've often wondered what they are, but never bothered to find out. I don't think we have them in England.

If people keep on calling Railway Stations 'train stations' they'll soon be popping up everywhere.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Train station!  :ireful: :butcher:   I detest linguistic primitives who call Railway Stations 'Train Stations'.   At this rate of degradation of the English language we will all end up grunting at each other in condominiums and eating nothing but fast food purchased at McDonalds.   

I rarely, if ever, advocate summary execution, but I believe I have done so in the case of people who say "train station".

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I've often wondered what they are, but never bothered to find out. I don't think we have them in England.

Posh term for salt and pepper, init?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, the SW used the order number for the initial lot as the class designator, and we have examples from T1 and A7.  IIRC the latter was built with cab door, without splasher/sandbox beading and with a Drummond (brass) number plate not an Adams (red) one, though here replaced with numerals.

There are a number of inaccuracies in the models, but I feel overall they nicely span the period of the projected layout.  

It was not always thus, earlier the SW used the number of the initial locomotive as the class designator.

Something similar happened with the GER.  Here, on official weight diagrams, the 134 Class became known by different numbers as the lowest number in the class changed!  Then we move to order number designations.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

When he's got a T3, T6, T7*, and T9, he'll have to give up the demon drink. 

*Probably too heavy for Barnstaple Town?

Weight not the limiting factor.

Only a, IIRC, 42' table (extended to that length in 1895 IIRC) at Ilfracombe at the time. The only 4-4-0 that could run on the line was a 380 Class Steamroller.  Ilfracombe Goods were almost extinct and the only other tender class that could run was the A12 0-4-2 Jubilee.  

In Grouping times, much bigger and heavier stuff went through, and I don't recall an axle weight limit, though not really my period.  New large table allowed all sorts through.  They just had to be able get up the hill from Ilfracombe. M7s often assisted.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh. I thought it was a form of Late Roman Empire divide-and-rule.

But I'm afraid those who would hold out against Train Station in such a forthright manner would be initiating a bloodbath on a scale not seen since when.. ? Probably the year before last.

If James got my previous attempt at humour, he's been very polite about it.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2