23 hours ago, webbcompound said:

And in the context of the other nautical references throughout the song this makes eminent sense.

Unfortunately the first verse blows it

"By the old Moulmein Pagoda
Looking eastward to the sea
There's a Burma gal a settin'
And I know that she waits for me"

As we know the Burma gal would be looking westward.

What this tells us is popular song is not a reliable source of navigation advice.

In my copy of 'Mandalay', it reads '....lookin' lazy at the sea...' which removes the problem.

It's probably been rewritten by those fine geographers who gave us 'Krakatoa, East of Java'.

• Like 5

On 25/10/2020 at 11:04, sem34090 said:

This has all been occurring to me since I took it... As I say I was going for something relating to espionage (Hence why everything else in the shot is British) but you're quite right.

Currently seeing if I can go for "BR Goods Office".

321100703_IMG_20201025_112632_6953.jpg.13666ce5f7fdec674ba1bff9996d188a.jpg

And in B&W;

1159297825_IMG_20201025_112632_6955.jpg.dfec099c2b075e02f6f55dfede782fcc.jpg

If anyone can suggest how they fit the theme of "Home"...

I keep coming back to your photograph, First I thought that it was a photo montage featuring an image of Graham Moffatt. After I googled his picture, I could see that it wasn't.

How did you make your likeness portray in the photograph look like it is a highly detailed model?. Was it a clever use of makeup? (many years ago, the first time that I saw a 'robot' dancer, it did momentarily have me wondering, is this real?, that was largely down to the makeup that she wore). Did you achieve the effect with photo editing software?.

Nothing so fancy as that; I definitely didn't use make up! All I did was adjust brightness, contrast, highlights, shadows etc in my mobile's basic photo editor; Not much more than a skilled person could achieve in a darkroom I should think. No full scale manipulation or anything like that!

• Informative/Useful 2

1925 saw the first year of Model Railway News.  Annie put me on to a facsimile edition of the first 12 magazines as one would have received them had they been sent to MRN to be bound.

20201107_083709.jpg.c8873515b53dbbb7ea7b9ac0e7a83b47.jpg

Striking is the fact that Grouping has yet to have much impact on the modelled scene and that 80% of the modelling is LNWR, 10% LB&SCR and 10% everything else.  As I grew up while outraged correspondents wasted their time and ink bemoaning the fact that there were too many Great Western model railways, that made me smile.  

The volume came to my attention when Annie realised, beautifully, a retro-virtual version of an O Gauge "system" layout that featured in the May 1925 edition, though Nearholmer had identified the plan. 

5FK3mL7.jpg.380b58c8619115ddaf96750bec6686f9.jpg

System layouts are an unfashionable and neglected genre, though I rather like them. Annie has done the type proud.

The layout in appearance seems pretty typical of the Gauge O, 1, 2 and 3 layouts featured throughout the year and is, of course, LNWR, representing Euston, Crewe and Liverpool in an attic.  Splendid!

20201107_082332.jpg.5d7d30733dde9c3bd8294a0e112b8db5.jpg

20201107_082407.jpg.2d886c4ef3eeb31aa479df492bbe411c.jpg

20201107_082450.jpg.63f706197094309106fe067201d7ea4c.jpg

There is already talk of 'realism' however, and I was blown away by this stunning, pre-Ahern house in card, probably representing a new house of the time ...

20201107_083417.jpg.b23066345f483564c23f9d19ec0d4caf.jpg

So, there us much to explore, including the nascent OO and HO scene.

One layout plan leapt out at me, however, because it is a great combination of two classic configurations I'd always liked the idea of; continuous run and out-and-back.

It's an O gauge plan, but, frankly, I'd use a similar space to build the same plan in OO; 18'-20' x 12' would be perfect, a large single garage or shed. The 3'6" radius curves would look fine for pre-Grouping stock in 4mil, if the gradient is split, you could probably replace the 1 in 36 with something more like 1 in 80.  The small gauge would open up opportunities for line-side development.  It's near perfect as it is.

20201107_082636.jpg.10d0095044cee5f055a1a6381d702795.jpg

It seems to me that a busy urban layout is suggested by the plan, and it might form an ideal scheme for a 1900s-1910s layout based on a fictitious West Riding mill town that could run by turns combinations of NER, MR, GNR, LNWR, L&YR and H&BR!  I can even see where, in the OO version, I might include a corporation tram system!

20201024_145945.jpg.59c73ab01b6efe2773e23d7f6eb1f0c9.jpg.92620ce831000888c1daae21918fa097.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 14

My ealiest memories of the MRN and MRC  are the year 1950, where IRCC I looked open mouthed at the size of a layout owned by a guy called Fleewood Shaw. His background was never mentioned as far as I recall. Edward Beale seemed to be everywhere, I still have his book "Modelling in 2mm scale"  from that era.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh good you purchased a copy of MRN Vol 1 for yourself James.  I'm still working my way through my own copy and finding all manner of delights.  The book is very much a snapshot of a particular era within the hobby and while I did at one time have a large collection of 1950s model railway magazines I'm finding 1925 to be refreshingly different.  As you might expect 'O' gauge clockwork railways being treated in a serious manner is a major plus for me and is something I'm very much enjoying.

Mr Ashford's amazing plan that you found has certainly drawn my attention, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a large undertaking as that just yet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DonB said:

My ealiest memories of the MRN and MRC  are the year 1950, where IRCC I looked open mouthed at the size of a layout owned by a guy called Fleewood Shaw. His background was never mentioned as far as I recall. Edward Beale seemed to be everywhere, I still have his book "Modelling in 2mm scale"  from that era.

39 minutes ago, Annie said:

Oh good you purchased a copy of MRN Vol 1 for yourself James.  I'm still working my way through my own copy and finding all manner of delights.  The book is very much a snapshot of a particular era within the hobby and while I did at one time have a large collection of 1950s model railway magazines I'm finding 1925 to be refreshingly different.  As you might expect 'O' gauge clockwork railways being treated in a serious manner is a major plus for me and is something I'm very much enjoying.

Mr Ashford's amazing plan that you found has certainly drawn my attention, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for such a large undertaking as that just yet.

Yes, I did and it has to be 'buy of the month' for me, thank you for the tip Annie.

Rev. Edward Beal indeed has cropped up by June, with a GW-type coaling stage drawn in his characteristic fashion.

Also featured in the MRN 1925 volume are Henry Greenly and Stewart Reidpath, of course, and correspondence from W J Bassett-Lowke (presumably spinning away in his marble vault at the thought of Hornby's 'Bassett-Lowke' resin-crud grunge-punk, sorry, 'steampunk' range.)

There are some delightful noms de plume; 'Pedagogue' (school railway), 'The Looker-On', 'Controller', 'Sparks', 'Electroscope', 'Ovidian' (perhaps in need of a change?), 'Disgruntled', 'Lord of the Isles', 'Shunter', 'Great Western', 'Enthusiast', 'Interlock', and, simply, 'Father' No 'Edwardian', sadly.

We learn of the forthcoming GW/LNE locomotive exchanges from an inmate of the King Edward VII Sanatorium, Midhurst, perhaps, therefore, a TB sufferer. He concludes "Whether the  use of steam expansively will compensate the Castle engine for the huge boiler used by the L.&N.E. locomotive remains to be seen".  Well, the World soon saw!

The church and the armed forces are well-represented. Squadron Leader Cushion writes from Simla, as does Commander Lockhart from the Atlantic Fleet ...

I was particularly pleased to find a Lieutenant Hutchinson RA among the contributors, surely the Sir Eric of the eponymous 'notebook' of wagon drawings I recall from my father's '50s RMs?

Finally, I must ponder why the term "Railwayacs" did not catch on as a term for hobbyists.

All in all rather a trove of treasures.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

Congratulations folks, you have joined a ‘readers club’ of which I have long been a member, indeed Edwardian has included two layouts that have appeared in my thread because they are such perfect examples of the old school in 0.

I’ve got 1926 unbound, with adverts too, and that opens another window.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The design for a working weighbridge for a model railway in the April chapter captured my interest even though I'm not entirely sure what I might need one for on any O gauge layout I might build, but the fact that someone thought of it is perhaps the most fascinating thing.

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Congratulations folks, you have joined a ‘readers club’ of which I have long been a member, indeed Edwardian has included two layouts that have appeared in my thread because they are such perfect examples of the old school in 0.

I’ve got 1926 unbound, with adverts too, and that opens another window.

There's another classic layout in the March chapter that's a continuous oval with two terminus stations set one either side of the continuous run that could be the basis of my next virtual layout.  If I don't watch out I could very well end up hunting for more pre-war model railway magazines.

The thought of 1926 unbound made my heart flutter for a moment..........

• Like 3

I have a theory that the best way to collect model railway mags, unless one lives in a huge mansion, is to have the first two years of each one, because the editors and ideas are then at maximum freshness, and they capture a moment in time, rather than great long runs of the things. 

Which does not really explain why, having been given them, I then gave away the first two years of Railway Modeller. Ditto MRJ, which I actually bought as it was published.

Trouble is, about once a decade, I get too carried-away with de-cluttering - tends to happen when I open my big cupboard and realise that there are things at the back that I haven't seen since last time I de-cluttered!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

The Model Railway News, a magazine that I fondly remember from the dim and distant past. I started regularly buying MRN in the late 1960's, and  then in 1971 the publishers decided that the format was too "old fashioned" and changed the magazine to the all singing, all dancing 'Model Railways'. I continued buying it for around a year but decided that I had much preferred the older publication. At one time I also owned a collection of MRN that covered the period from the early 1950's to mid 1960's, that I bought when a local model railway club was increasing its funds by reducing its library.

• Like 4

I've just realised that I've got a few copies of Model Railway Constructor from its second year (1935), because I started to try to assemble the first two years of that, but gave-up, because at that stage it was actually a pretty poor offering in some ways - not much to read.

What it does seem to have been good at was scale drawings, including large-sheet folded inserts. There's a good article in one describing the GWRs new 48xx, comparing it with the 517, with drawings of both, for instance. All cracking stuff for the scratch-builder, and I guess they didn't want to read great long essays, just scratch away.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DonB said:

Edward Beale seemed to be everywhere, I still have his book "Modelling in 2mm scale"  from that era.

I wasn't aware of that book, but I have his 'West Midland' which was an inspiration to me in my teenage 'Hornby Dublo 3-rail' years.

Jim

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I've just realised that I've got a few copies of Model Railway Constructor from its second year (1935), because I started to try to assemble the first two years of that, but gave-up, because at that stage it was actually a pretty poor offering in some ways - not much to read.

I loved that magazine ... though have only seen much more modern copies.

The 'mass market' magazine sector is already loaded with 4 titles, so a revival to the Constructor by whoever owns the rights to that name seems unlikely. By a report of the kind that really makes one question the calibre of the people allowed to make decisions that affect the daily lives of many, apparently Hornby Magazine had to be so-called because the buyer at WH Smith wouldn't put it on the shelves without the name tie-in.

I have always hoped that there would be a niche for a magazine, perhaps a quarterly, devoted to modelling the historic railway, which, these days, I'd define as anything pre-Nationalisation (and, therefore, largely pre-mass market interest/living memory).

It seemed to me that this would probably present the ideal opportunity to place an emphasis on modelling, by which I mean making rather than just buying things, which suits endeavours in the earlier periods.  I could thereby honour the Constructor in the name of the periodical; Historic Model Railway Constructor.

It was at that point I realised that if I tried opening a bank account in the name of HMRC, I'd probably go to prison.  

• Like 6
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian Allan did consider using 'Model Railway Constructor' for 'Hornby Magazine' but the research that they did showed that:

• Most of the target market hadn't heard of MRC so there was no benefit in using the name.
  • Those that HAD heard of it expected/wanted it to be just the same rather than the planned style.
  • The newstrade and public associated the name 'Hornby' with model railways and it came with a certain cachet.

Thus the die was cast and the magazine then spent a considerable amount of time and effort in persuading people that its remit covered the products of other manufacturers, scales other than OO and was open to kit and scratch-building.  :banghead:

• Informative/Useful 3