1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Not an idea I can contemplate without a feeling of queasiness.

According to Wikipedia, 'Rocky Mountain Oysters', 'Prairie Oysters', 'Lamb Fries', 'Criadillas', and I'm sure there is also a splendid Italian name which I couldn't find in a quick scan.

Personally, if I am prepared to eat an animal, I think it disrespectful not to be prepared to eat all the edible parts of it. 

(This is where the Spongiform Encephalopathies  which caused all the scares twenty or so years ago are such a nuisance.  I'm sure I was told I was fed Lamb's brains as a child, presumably in those far of days no-one worried about Scrapie!)

EDIT - To bring this more in line with pre-grouping railways:-

In my 1923 edition of 'Modern Railway Administration' (largely reflecting pre-grouping and pre-WW1 practice)

In Division II Section 4 of 'Perishable Merchandise by Passenger Train or other SImilar Service' are listed:-

Meat Offal, including inter alia

Chitterlings

Feet

Giblets

Plucks

Tripe

Trotters.

(There are more listed but it would take for ever to re-key them all)

Presumably the organs referred to in the above posts would be elsewhere in the alia.)

Edited by drmditch
More data
  • Agree 1

I think you chaps are being overly hard on this sketch - it sustains super-high quality to the very last-but-one second, IMO. 

Whether it is as funny to people who don't love and cherish traditional hardware shops I don't know.

Once when I was exploring bogs in Ireland, I managed to finish-off a pair of walking boots, one sole almost completely detached, so went to a "hardware and workwear" shop in a small town to see what I could get as urgent replacements. Boot choosing and fitting involved ascending three flights of rickety, and progressively narrower and twistier, stairs to get to a huge, dusty loft. On the far side was "the boot department", consisting of a drystone-wall of cardboard boxes, about six feet high and twenty feet long. Sure enough, I got a pair of sturdy "bog boots" - not your fancy modern 27-layer gortex jobs, but serviceable enough for the time being.

That is the sort of reason proper hardware shops need to be immortalised.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That is the sort of reason proper hardware shops need to be immortalised.

Fortunately there are two such establishments (or as near as one can get these days) locally.  One here in Biggar and one in Lanark.  The one here is a rabbit warren of rooms and there's not much he can't get for you.  Having said that, I recently went in to try and get a replacement plastic fitting to attach a sweeping brush head to the shaft (no comments about Trigger's broom, please!) .  All he could offer me was a large metal one clearly designed for the type of brush you would sweep a builders yard with.  I did manage to find what I was looking for on line.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

In the town where I grew up there was a hardware shop like that and it was wonderful since almost anything to make things could be purchased and the staff had the knowledge to explain how something should be done if I wasn't sure.  Eventually the shop was 'modernised', the wise old staff members retired and it became considerably less useful after that.

The hardware shop here in town still manages to keep that spirit alive though with stocking useful amounts of just about everything that a householder in a farming town might need as well as having staff who know all manner of things about the proper use of tools and what is best for the job you might have in mind.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think this is what you need...

Home | Odell & Co. Ltd. - Ironmongers & Cookshop -  odellandco.co.uk 

open for 275 Years...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I think you chaps are being overly hard on this sketch - it sustains super-high quality to the very last-but-one second, IMO. 

Due to the recency effect, the last impression tends to stick in the mind, rather spoiling the whole sketch.

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

odellandco.co.uk 

Sometimes I make-up reasons to go there, just so that I can go there.

The present Mr Odell Snr keeps bees and sells very good honey, too.

I remember when they had two shops, but the other one has been about fifteen different restaurants since then, and I think it might be a conveyancing firm now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

I have a friend (he may be a member of this forum?) who denies the electron flow theory, instead smoke somehow 'carries the power' along the conductor in very thin bore tubes, the proof being that it sometimes escapes ....

At least that's an hypothesis based on observation.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just goes to prove that electronics is all smoke and mirrors.     When you get a short circuit the smoke gets out.  The part then doesn't work because you can't get the smoke back in again! 

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Just goes to prove that electronics is all smoke and mirrors.     When you get a short circuit the smoke gets out.  The part then doesn't work because you can't get the smoke back in again! 

Jim

I'm sure that it would  if you caught ALL the smoke.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Regularity said:

I prefer the Buddha pizza myself.

”Make me one with everything.”

A fellow ordered one such and paid with a 50-pound note. When he asked where his change was, he was told "change is within".

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

Yes, I knew it looked Brightonesque (as in the company, reminiscent of Brighton London Road, Portslade or St Leonards West), but I was imagining it parallel to the track, which threw me for a bit, then I thought, hang on, if at a right angle to the tracks, it looks a dead ringer for Kemp Town.

1019904706_KempTown01.jpg.40a1a0a82efab34d0b91c6de920cb573.jpg

1867442940_KempTown02.jpg.d924882921843d63113f3a1036d2452d.jpg1926341628_KempTown03.jpg.6891c7d038b982559b26cba5f399abe0.jpg

1392348177_KemptTown04.jpg.89281f1556eab88241a498be45278adb.jpg

In which case, I've just bought a model of Kemp Town.

I knew this would come in useful one day ....

IMG_9790.JPG.b31a297d6dce1eef8be56774e99e2ee5.JPG

Just need that Balloon Trailer!

• Like 13

Hah, Kevin, I thought you responded to my edited post, but it looks like the moment of recognition came simultaneously.  I was being slow, thinking you'd know it was Kemp Town, which, of course, you did, instead of questioning it.  Having had a moment now to dig out some pics, I don't think there can be the slightest doubt that it's Kemp Town.

Always liked the idea of Kemp Town as a layout; I believe it was you who first advocated it as a subject hereabouts in the umber is the new black topic. 

Terrier research for Rails took me repeatedly back to Kemp Town!

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Very similar to, but slightly smaller than, London Road:

https://brightonmrc.wordpress.com/

Yes, it was thinking of Brighton London Road in particular that made me think it was a LB&SCR station.

• Like 4

Even the great edifice of Tunbridge Wells West contains similar features, but gone a bit mad, and Groombridge is the little sister of that one, and, and ..........

Ideal station to buy, really, since it had an "exit to fiddle yard" second only to Ventnor for its convenience to railway modellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It got served by a surprising range of weird things at your date too, because IIRC the petrol rail motors, and possibly the steam rail motors were used on the branch. Ideal place for trying out new things, being on the doorstep of HQ.

You could 2-4-0T one of those Terriers too. Boxhill would be ideal, because it was still in SIMPEG and numbered 82, which I'm sure is a kivery that somebody makes.

And, you could have the local Terrier "Kemptown" (alloneword).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

Well, you know me, I have a weakness for nice old architectural models that deserve TLC and extended life.

I know it's a bit self-indulgent, but it only set me back a pony and, if you compare that with the cost of model stations of similar size in kits or resin-plant, I get a lovely hand-built model for less than many new Exactly-the-sames-ville stations; even a Metcalfe big station kit is £22. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, 1905-1909, Boxhill was a 2-4-0T, with the front wheels smaller, but otherwise exactly like this, I think https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35694/Dapol-4s-010-001-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1-class-boxhill-improved-engine-green-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-82-dcc-ready

From memory, was Boxhill the one that stayed named in IEG, while the other convert blazed the umber trail?

I forget such details so quickly!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes, it was exactly like the Rails model, bar smaller front wheels.

I don't know how the chassis and drive fits together on those models - hope to goodness they aren't driven via the front axle, because that would mean you'd have to build and paint a kit (while we all watch).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, it was exactly like the Rails model, bar smaller front wheels.

I don't know how the chassis and drive fits together on those models - hope to goodness they aren't driven via the front axle, because that would mean you'd have to build and paint a kit (while we all watch).

Well, apart from the fact that she would almost certainly have lost her condensing pipes by 1905, but, yes otherwise exactly so.

Just checked the model; rear axle driven

• Like 4