9 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

that looks very compliantly built  beware as it may be  OOf or what ever its called

Nick B

Thanks.  Things seem to run weill enough.

So, here is what I have done by way of wiring, applying my complete lack of understanding to the problem. 

685756457_20210411_185429-Copy.jpg.f7c1535bab76140d431d964cad61b3b8.jpg

Now, I cannot actually see the blue connections, so was literally soldering blind.  One or other of the connections was not good, so I re-did them and now my little Pecket runs through the turnout onto the track beyond effortlessly. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 5

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

But where do all the wires go?

Hopefully this drawing will explain things better.

image.png.ae24addcf522fbebebc11d5125cfc1be.png

The magenta wire is the mechanical connection between the switch and the tie bar.  It has no electrical purpose and needs to be fairly stiff.  Depending on how far it is from the switch to the tie bar it may need some guides to keep in from flexing laterally. The connections on the switch will be on the underside.  The centre one (black wire above) goes to the crossing, while the red and blue connections go to the stock rails as shown.  Ideally they should be connected at the bottom of the drawing, but I didn't want to complicate it.  In fact it doesn't matter where about on the rail it is connected.

Hope this makes things clearer.

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

That would do, but it doesn't have any fixing holes.  the one I linked to would be better.  You need to make a rectangular hole in the baseboard into which it will just fit and then secure it through the two screw holes.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done James - the test layout is coming along very nicely.  

I will admit that I was particularly enamoured with the narrow gauge models in the background though - did I spy a model of one of the single Fairlies from the NWNGR? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

Well done James - the test layout is coming along very nicely.  

Thank you Neil

6 minutes ago, NeilHB said:

I will admit that I was particularly enamoured with the narrow gauge models in the background though - did I spy a model of one of the single Fairlies from the NWNGR? 

Indeed, I believe so.  I take it to be of the  Moel Tryfan and Snowdon Ranger ilk.

Moel_Tryfan_works_photo.jpg.2485d43f2569f286ac2b540b34b46047.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

A question to the assembled knowledge base.  I have in my mind, and possibly an urban myth, of a Lord who wanted a railway across his land so as he could have a pub open at all times as moving trains were exempt from the licensing laws?  Could someone remind me of any truth in my memory?  Google hasn't helped me but I now do have a longer list of pubs that I may like to visit...

Thanks in advance

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

A question to the assembled knowledge base.  I have in my mind, and possibly an urban myth, of a Lord who wanted a railway across his land so as he could have a pub open at all times as moving trains were exempt from the licensing laws?  Could someone remind me of any truth in my memory?  Google hasn't helped me but I now do have a longer list of pubs that I may like to visit...

Thanks in advance

David

Obviously not the case you had in mind, but nevertheless an exemplar of the same legal loophole.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/12/railway-distillery-owner-uses-legal-loophole-to-sell-gin-without-a-license/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, 90rob said:

'Activities in certain locations not licensable

(1)An activity is not a licensable activity if it is carried on—

(a)aboard an aircraft, hovercraft or railway vehicle engaged on a journey,...'

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/section/173

A 15" gauge system in the grounds of Aching Hall might well be welcomed by parishjioners.

effie.jpg.3b6102bebbcb997c679bdee2b7ada1c9.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 90rob said:

'Activities in certain locations not licensable

(1)An activity is not a licensable activity if it is carried on—

(a)aboard an aircraft, hovercraft or railway vehicle engaged on a journey,...'

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/17/section/173

So, we could have included a bar on the hovercraft we built as a school 6th form project. If only we'd known...

• Like 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

At one time in Scotland alcohol could only be served on a Sunday to 'bona fide travellers'.  My father told me that the bus service between Hamilton and 'The Popinjay' at Rosebank, in the Clyde valley, was very busy of a Sunday, as was the bar in the hotel!  It was the first hotel on the route.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Tangentially related. I was re-reading the history of the Coronation Scot carriages (in pursuit of the mysterious 8 ft wheelbase bogies). The 1939 sets - that never ran as the Coronation Scot - were originally intended to include a first class observation saloon with cocktail bar (in competition with the LNER Coronation I suppose). This was objected to as it was thought that third class passengers would pass through the first class areas in order to get beer. The design was changed to a brake end - on went on the North American tour; II think the other two were completed in 1946/7.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Tangentially related. I was re-reading the history of the Coronation Scot carriages (in pursuit of the mysterious 8 ft wheelbase bogies). The 1939 sets - that never ran as the Coronation Scot - were originally intended to include a first class observation saloon with cocktail bar (in competition with the LNER Coronation I suppose). This was objected to as it was thought that third class passengers would pass through the first class areas in order to get beer. The design was changed to a brake end - on went on the North American tour; II think the other two were completed in 1946/7.

If you'd gone through Crewe at 113mph, you'd have had no need to stir your martini!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

40 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Musical interlude clearly called for, although, the composer's inspiration was. apparently, his trips on the Great Western. So that's a Swindon exhaust beat I imagine we're hearing, but, then, Stannier was a Swindon man, so ...

A classic '50s recording (with prettu pictures)

What sounds like a modern performance, but with contemporary footage

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

This was objected to as it was thought that third class passengers would pass through the first class areas in order to get beer. 

Presumably this could have been circumvented by the cocktail bar expediently not serving any beer.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

The WNR's early 1870s Metropolitan Carriage and Wagon Works coaches have now been retrofitted with continuous upper footboards and through, vacuum, brakes.

I note the designer has included the name of the owning company and its Carriage Superintendent! 

1501520711_UnderframeRender1-Copy.jpg.390b86c993a3e7a639e5d7da920a803d.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2