• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

In part Don you are right that altitude does have an impact, but there is also the impact of a continental climate s opposed to a maritime one.  This year spring has been particularly slow in unfurling and temperatures generally remain several degrees below the average.  

They do here this year with have been subject to winds from the polar area much too often. Even in the south west tempertures are below expected. Of is it just my age making the difference.

Don 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Ah... I realise that photos from the time would be almost impossible, but there must be examples that still exist that show treenails that could be photo'd now....

Andy G

There was a lovely set of stone blocks for a tramway turnout at Gorsty Knoll FOD at the rear of the Mushet works hope they are still there. The Bixslad tramway was still carrying stone horse drawn down to the work as late as 1946 probably a bit too late to find someone who looked after the line. The plates had gone by the time Iwalked down it. Mayby some photos in the S&W/FOD books by Karu and Pope. I think Ian might be the best source of info on this.

Don

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a section of stone blocks on the embankment West of Lanner in Cornwall which was maintained by the Cornwall Railway Society. Pictures should be on their excellent website.

• Like 2

The stone sleeper system did not last much more than 20 years in the very beginning. It was not very durable. I´m not so sure that you will find much of wooden parts after 150 or 200 years. 

picture of  Cromford and High Peak Railway (Wikipedia):

Cromford and High Peak Railway.jpg

Edited by Klaus ojo
  • Like 3

On 01/05/2021 at 13:49, Donw said:

I remember Maypole dancing in junior school more fun than most lessons

Don

I seem to remember Sir Thomas Beecham saying that he would try anything once – except inc*st and country dancing...

Edited by wagonman
missing exception!
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that your discription of what occurred is very nicely put, but I have to say that I admire your resolve to carry on with your GER building, as I am afraid to say, that something like that would make me not want to touch them for at least several years.... 

Having said that my modelling output is at a standstill, I just can't seem to get going. I don't know if its a reflection of what is going on in the world, or whether I have had my interest diverted away to other things (I've got a new old van to rebuild, and a full sized semaphore to repair, a garage to rebuild, etc, etc). 

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 10

8 minutes ago, uax6 said:

I have to say that your discription of what occurred is very nicely put, but I have to say that I admire your resolve to carry on with your GER building, as I am afraid to say, that something like that would make me not want to touch them for at least several years.... 

Having said that my modelling output is at a standstill, I just can't seem to get going. I don't know if its a reflection of what is going on in the world, or whether I have had my interest diverted away to other things (I've got a new old van to rebuild, and a full sized semaphore to repair, a garage to rebuild, etc, etc). 

Andy G

Thanks, Andy.

I was very, very upset - rather depressed in fact - but that happened when I found that this apparently immutable deadline existed, meaning that I probably would be unable to contribute.  This drained me of motivation and I posted about this at the time, last Thursday.

All the bickering that has followed - essentially the person concerned doubling-down on the poor decision-making he was unable to explain or justify - was simply nonsense, and has not really added significantly to my little store of misery. The main issue for me was the loss of a focus for some modelling given that I struggle for focus, motivation and confidence.  I am sorry to learn from your post that I am not alone in the want for motivation; I believe it is the times in which we live. The last five years have, for me, seen the World become increasingly worrying and intrusive and lock-down has had a toll on us all in profound yet not obvious ways.  

However, GERS is clearly more than just the increasingly bad-tempered person who does not want my contribution, essentially because I disagree with him, and it's full of kind and knowledgeable people and a seat of scholarship.  I don't feel inclined to join in their community online in the light of recent events, but none of this negates the overall value of the society. 

Anyhow, looking for positives, it means that I did get round to picking up my pile of D&S wagon kits and, while I cannot say the task of building them engenders much affection for them, I feel I should continue with them, as I believe I've at least got them worried! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Just now, jwealleans said:

I'd persist with the D & S kits, James, they're an acquired knack.   I find I can knock off the simpler ones in an evening these days if I put my mind to it.  They also repay the investment, IMO.

I will, thanks.

With 4 GE D17s, I'm making small changes to them to reflect different batches - e.g. filling in the solebar hole for an early batch, adding a representation of Monarch patent door balancers for a later build etc.

Unfortunately I find several are missing their brass fold-up W irons and one has the wrong buffers, which will slow things down a bit. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, Andy.

I was very, very upset - rather depressed in fact - but that happened when I found that this apparently immutable deadline existed, meaning that I probably would be unable to contribute.  This drained me of motivation and I posted about this at the time, last Thursday.

All the bickering that has followed - essentially the person concerned doubling-down on the poor decision-making he was unable to explain or justify - was simply nonsense, and has not really added significantly to my little store of misery. The main issue for me was the loss of a focus for some modelling given that I struggle for focus, motivation and confidence.  I am sorry to learn from your post that I am not alone in the want for motivation; I believe it is the times in which we live. The last five years have, for me, seen the World become increasingly worrying and intrusive and lock-down has had a toll on us all in profound yet not obvious ways.  

However, GERS is clearly more than just the increasingly bad-tempered person who does not want my contribution, essentially because I disagree with him, and it's full of kind and knowledgeable people and a seat of scholarship.  I don't feel inclined to join in their community online in the light of recent events, but none of this negates the overall value of the society. 

Anyhow, looking for positives, it means that I did get round to picking up my pile of D&S wagon kits and, while I cannot say the task of building them engenders much affection for them, I feel I should continue with them, as I believe I've at least got them worried! 

I gave this a like because you have ended on a positive note a good sign

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Societies depend very much on volunteer members.  Sometimes the volunteers or some of them can become a bit high handed. It can be unfortunate as it can upset members and also other volunteers and disrupt the running of the society.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

"a bit" hmmm... ;)

It would be a bit unreasonable to write off the whole Society on the basis of one unsatisfactory interaction - or indeed for the Society to write off one member ditto.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

It would be a bit unreasonable to write off the whole Society on the basis of one unsatisfactory interaction - or indeed for the Society to write off one member ditto.

Oh I wouldn't dream of that .... 

But some people can be a tad over "enthusiastic" .....  

In any case, in coming up to 3/4 of a century on the planet I have, I think, managed to upset either intentionally or quite unintentionally many "well meaning" people, Thankfully I've got inured to this failing of mine. Which is a good thing because otherwise I'd feel terrible. ;)

Our host is a big boy, I'm positive he'll cope.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It would be a bit unreasonable to write off the whole Society on the basis of one unsatisfactory interaction -

As I hope I made clear.

However, the experience has discouraged me from active participation in any aspect of the GERS, perhaps unnecessarily, but for fear of more pointless grief, which I really don't need right now.

Evaluating the GERS at the moment, every so often the Journal comes out with a cracking article of use to pre-Groupers, though compared with the early Journals, which I now have on disc, the weight of content and interest has certainly shifted toward the BR era, which is not, to my mind, GE at all and just represents more of what we see everywhere.  

John Watling's guide to GE coaches (in the website) remains invaluable, although, as Annie and I have discussed, for any drawings the information necessary to model the coaches, you really need to go elsewhere. It would help if the GERS published facsimiles of the diagram books, basic as the drawings are, as, for instance, NERA has done for NER and ECJS stock.  Lyn Brooks's series of locomotive drawings also remain invaluable.  Both of these you can obtain without membership.  Most of the other valuable information is locked away in Journals 1-180, available for sale to members.  Now I have these, I suppose they could chuck me out tomorrow and it wouldn't be a great inconvenience, but they are welcome to my subscription for so long as they want it. I just shall not feel welcome, or inclined to participation after my recent interactions with them. Life's to short to seek out places where one might encounter aggravation or unpleasantness. 

The best resource for the subjects it covers (some GE locos and GE goods vehicles) is the incomparable Basilica Fields Blog.  It has not been updated for some years now and one wonders how long it will stay up.  I owe nearly everything I know about GE wagons from this source, and could not hope to model GE goods stock without it. 

• Like 6

Hey here's a question from an ignorant Aussie. How come many uk railway companies had 'Great' at the start of their names Great Western, Great Northern etc. (Ok maybe just a couple of them)  The only Great thing we have is the barrier Reef. Does great refer to them thinking themselves pretty splendid and so named themselves accordingly or does great mean in the sense of a large area like "greater Sydney" is used to denote Sydney and surrounds. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hey here's a question from an ignorant Aussie. How come many uk railway companies had 'Great' at the start of their names Great Western, Great Northern etc. (Ok maybe just a couple of them)  The only Great thing we have is the barrier Reef. Does great refer to them thinking themselves pretty splendid and so named themselves accordingly or does great mean in the sense of a large area like "greater Sydney" is used to denote Sydney and surrounds. 

England

GNR

GER

GCR

GWR

GNoER (A NER constituent)

plus some joint lines:

M&GNJR

GN&GEJR

GC&MJR

Scotland

GNoSR

Ireland

GNR

GS&WR

MGWR

the latter two the principal constituents of the GSR

No doubt some other early companies.

But only the Grand Junction Railway, I think.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I suspect it's "great" in the sense of projected size and territorial ambition rather than meaning "ooh, aren't we rather splendid", though, of course, you never know!

That might explain why there are almost no "Grand" railways ion the UK, as there was in canal naming, or it could just be a fashion shift. 

India has its Grand Trunk Road, of course, and Discworld its Grand Trunk clacks.

The GWR is, as ever, the exception, as it was "great" in the sense of being God's.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

We had our own Great Western Railway once, as immortalised by the restored Millthorpe station:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29029178@N03/34385482020/?map=1

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Great Northern Railway probably wins the popularity poll, though, with Australian, Canadian, and United States-ish examples along with the well known Irish main line and the lesser Lincolnshire potato railway.

• Informative/Useful 1

GERS.  To anyone North of Hadrians Wall living in Nicky Sturgeon's wee country GERS is Glasgow Rangers Football Club currently managed by a chap from Liverpool called Gerrard.  The one thing GERS (Glasgow) and GERS (Railway) have in common is the colour blue.

Just another piece of useless but interesting information which normally is well received on this thread.

Malcolm

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1