Scotland

GNoSR

Ireland

GNR

GS&WR

MGWR

the latter two the principal constituents of the GSR

No doubt some other early companies.

But only the Grand Junction Railway, I think.

Great Orme Tramway - but perhaps does not count in the same sense as the others

And

Very nearly

Great Southern Railway had the proposed amalgamation gone ahead.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Andy Hayter said:

Great Orme Tramway - but perhaps does not count in the same sense as the others

And

Very nearly

Which brings us nicely to the Great Northern and Southern Railway!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Which would have led to the further complication of having a GNR and a GSR on both the principal islands of the archipelago. Just as well there wasn't actually a GN&SR to confuse matters further!

It's bad enough with GSWR - at least the ampersand is differently-placed: GS&WR in Ireland, G&SWR in Scotland.

Are there more with Western in the name than with Great? 

In Ireland:

GS&WR

MGWR

WL&W

INWR (a GNR constituent)

In Scotland:

G&SWR

In England:

LNWR

GWR

LSWR

"Little" NWR (absorbed by the Midland)

Possibly not. But for the lack of a pre-grouping Southern, one can box the compass:

LSWR - GWR - LNWR - GNR - NER - GER - SER.

Any other games?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2021 at 19:38, Edwardian said:

I think I'll stick with the lesser mammals for now.

Ummm... James, as you're referring to your black Labradors, you might want to rethink this description - I'm pretty sure they can bend you to their will as they see fit!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Hey here's a question from an ignorant Aussie. How come many uk railway companies had 'Great' at the start of their names Great Western, Great Northern etc. (Ok maybe just a couple of them)  The only Great thing we have is the barrier Reef. Does great refer to them thinking themselves pretty splendid and so named themselves accordingly or does great mean in the sense of a large area like "greater Sydney" is used to denote Sydney and surrounds. 

As an Aussie, I'll point out that we also have the Great Dividing Range, the Great Australian Bight, the Great Sandy Desert and the Great White Shark (amongst others).  What we seem to lack is a great imagination when it comes to naming things (perhaps we're a bit da Quirmian...).

- Scott

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

the weight of content and interest has certainly shifted toward the BR era, which is not, to my mind, GE at all and just represents more of what we see everywhere.  

This is increasingly the case, or as I have seen elsewhere, people taking about preserved locos which ran over the line of interest.

The best resource for the subjects it covers (some GE locos and GE goods vehicles) is the incomparable Basilica Fields Blog.  It has not been updated for some years now and one wonders how long it will stay up.  I owe nearly everything I know about GE wagons from this source, and could not hope to model GE goods stock without it. 

I spoke to Ade recently: for various reasons, he is completely off modelling, but has not intentions of letting his blog disappear.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Which brings us nicely to the Great Northern and Southern Railway!

It has been a while, hasn't it?

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Evaluating the GERS at the moment, every so often the Journal comes out with a cracking article of use to pre-Groupers, though compared with the early Journals, which I now have on disc, the weight of content and interest has certainly shifted toward the BR era, which is not, to my mind, GE at all and just represents more of what we see everywhere.  

This is really annoying to my mind.  I received my GER Society welcome pack which was very nice and it contained a random assortment of the GER Journal and the GER News.  Two of the GER News magazines had modern error toothpaste tube trains on the front cover which put me off somewhat.  I can't fault the production quality of the society magazines, but why on earth is there so much content that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Great Eastern Railway?  I can just about tolerate the LNER invasion of GER territory and possibly even the very early BR years, but absolutely not the modern error with its hideous rail vehicles that I can't even think of as being trains.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 16Brunel said:

As an Aussie, I'll point out that we also have the Great Dividing Range, the Great Australian Bight, the Great Sandy Desert and the Great White Shark (amongst others).  What we seem to lack is a great imagination when it comes to naming things (perhaps we're a bit da Quirmian...).

- Scott

Not to mention the Big Banana, the Big Merino, the Big Lobster, etc., etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia's_big_things

We also have the GAFA, which is another name for the outback. It's an acronym for the Great Australian F*** All.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, 16Brunel said:

- Scott

Great Australian Bight + Great White Shark = Great Australian Bite?

My absolute favourite, which I love, is "Great Sandy Desert" it's so ... literal!

12 minutes ago, Regularity said:

It has been a while, hasn't it?

spacer.png

Ah, Castle Aching's equivalent of 'Mornington Crescent'

Well played Sir.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Ah, Castle Aching's equivalent of 'Mornington Crescent'

Well played Sir.

Snuck it in under the radar...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

You set em' up, and I'll bowl 'em.

Just don't expect me to bat.

Or at least, not for long.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

"The Great Western, Eastern, Northern, Southern, Central and Underground Railway" would have been a company that thought that it had covered all possible contingencies with its name. Though it would properly have been bankrupted by its huge outgoings for signage and printing expenses.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

46 minutes ago, Annie said:

This is really annoying to my mind.  I received my GER Society welcome pack which was very nice and it contained a random assortment of the GER Journal and the GER News.  Two of the GER News magazines had modern error toothpaste tube trains on the front cover which put me off somewhat.  I can't fault the production quality of the society magazines, but why on earth is there so much content that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Great Eastern Railway?  I can just about tolerate the LNER invasion of GER territory and possibly even the very early BR years, but absolutely not the modern error with its hideous rail vehicles that I can't even think of as being trains.

Is the problem, that of an exhausted mine?. That it is increasingly difficult to uncover fresh information regarding a pre-grouping railway company. The pace that the GER society has accumulated further data about the GER  must have slowed down over the years, with no new documents or photographs coming to light.

This must be the case for all pre-grouping railways. It is depressing to imagine how much that would have been of great historical interest to railway/model railway enthusiast has been discarded/disposed of over the years.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the society has even come close to exhausting the resources that they have archived away rocor.  Going through the index for the journals that have been published so far I can see a lot of gaps that have yet to be filled.  To clarify the 'Great Eastern Journal' does stick closely to the steam era railway when it was still identifiably the Great Eastern Railway no matter who owned it at the time.

The 'Great Eastern News' seems to cover the area of the country that the Great Eastern Railway served, covering the modern error as well as the preservation era with an occasional nod at the pre-grouping railway.  The Great Eastern News does have its moments though as I found an article on GER wooden goods sheds in the Spring 2021 issue that I knew almost nothing about.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, rocor said:

Is the problem, that of an exhausted mine?. That it is increasingly difficult to uncover fresh information regarding a pre-grouping railway company.

Join the Cumbrian Railways Association, as new information on the M&CR, etc is coming to light at what seems to be exponential pace.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Join the Cumbrian Railways Association, as new information on the M&CR, etc is coming to light at what seems to be exponential pace.

Don't! I really, really want to do a model of Piel, with one of my favourite little Sharp Stewart 2-4-0s, and, of course, I am hugely fond of the Brampton.

More importantly, I could do with expanding my very meagre knowledge of the M&CR!

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An ideal society journal will have a good balance of articles on company history, staff history, infrastructure, rolling stock, other equipment, operation, tickets... and strike a balance across periods, including the contemporary scene. However, the editors of a society journal can only publish the articles they receive, which will reflect the interests of those in the society most eager to write. In case of a shortfall in page count, they have to write something themselves!

As to archival resources, many line societies now have more material more readily accessible to researchers than ever before - those of which I am a member have study centres at Kenilworth and Derby and are working towards digitisation - a slow and not inexpensive process, which does of course mean that most of the material is accessible to members only, membership subscriptions being an essential source of funds.

I don't think there can be many line societies that disdain to embrace post-1923 developments on their company's lines. After all, to the end of steam and beyond, in most places the infrastructure remained of pre-grouping origin, with just a thin veneer of grouping or post-nationalisation modernity.  There was someone getting very steamed up a while back on the LNWR Society facebook group - which non-members can join - over posting of a 1950s photo of a "Midland" locomotive. What on earth had this to do with the LNWR? Apart from the fact that the location was definitely LNWR, I had to point out that the 4F in question had been built at Crewe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I suffered a mildly dyslexic episode upon first reading your post, and briefly found myself  wondering how a large amount of information had come available about a small pre-grouping railway in Wales.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, rocor said:

I suffered a mildly dyslexic episode upon first reading your post, and briefly found myself  wondering how a large amount of information had come available about a small pre-grouping railway in Wales.

Confusion with the M&LRTC Ltd? 

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Confusion with the M&LRTC Ltd? 

Well!, I've a confessed to my mistake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

..... as, for instance, NERA has done for NER and ECJS stock.  

And the Caledonian Railway Assn. for both wagons and carriages, and drawings for many are in Mike Williams' excellent books.

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Scotland

GNoSR

Great it was not (in any sense of the word!

Jim (ducking for incoming)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1