• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Even Scots who have come over the border get assimilated

From this statement, I guess you don't live near, or have ever lived in, Corby?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Which brings to mind the famous quote “What have the Romans ever done for us?”.

Umm kept the Scots out? :jester:

Ah but weren't the Scots in Ireland at the time of the Roman occupation*? Or was it the Irish in Scotland? Either way, it was Picts who were on the wrong/right (delete to taste) side of the Wall. Then, or a little later, Strathclyde was Welsh. 

*Busy people, the Romans. Always needing to do something to keep themselves (and, especially, other people) occupied. NB It was climate change and pandemic disease that did for the Roman Empire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Wonderfully, the country wasn't "English" back in Roman times but variants of the inhabitants of the islands who were pinned back into Wales and Scotland by the "waves" of invaders (see 1066 and All That), who became, more or less, English over time. Then England got the Norman disease, which was more or less a continuation of the "waves" via a long way round. It took a while for the Norman bu@@ers to get assimilated, but so it goes.

England is a country of waves of assimilation, it just takes time and some waves are more tricky to digest than others.

Even Scots who have come over the border get assimilated, and they're tough!

No, it wasn't English because the Anglo-Saxons hadn't come over.  However, the point was to say how we in England view the legacy of Roman occupation. 

I suspect that the Norman takeover was more of a genocidal kulturkampf than an assimilation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Even Scots who have come over the border get assimilated, and they're tough!

They're doing missionary work.  It takes time to convert the locals!  :jester:

I was once told by a welsh lady that the welsh were the Irish who  couldn't swim.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

20 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah but weren't the Scots in Ireland at the time of the Roman occupation*? Or was it the Irish in Scotland? Either way, it was Picts who were on the wrong/right (delete to taste) side of the Wall. Then, or a little later, Strathclyde was Welsh. 

*Busy people, the Romans. Always needing to do something to keep themselves (and, especially, other people) occupied. NB It was climate change and pandemic disease that did for the Roman Empire.

I was joking - there's no need to be a pedant. Good grief.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 05/05/2021 at 06:44, monkeysarefun said:

See also the  Funnel Web Spider, Red Back Spider,  Blue Ringed Octopus and Mount Buggery.

Speaking of Australian spiders meet Mavis, she's a Huntsman or in this case a Huntswoman spider. Great things to have around the house a they keep a lot of pests away. Quite timid creatures like most spiders actually, but when they do come in they just wander around and clean up the corners.

Spider 2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Speaking of Australian spiders

Ah yes. I am reminded of JA swimming in "Walkabout". Decency forbids posting an image.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I was joking - there's no need to be a pedant. Good grief.

I was attempting levity not gravity!

31 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Ah yes. I am reminded of JA swimming in "Walkabout". Decency forbids posting an image.

I expect I can speak for many in saying that I am glad not to see an image of you being reminded of that...

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Speaking of Australian spiders meet Mavis, she's a Huntsman or in this case a Huntswoman spider. Great things to have around the house a they keep a lot of pests away. Quite timid creatures like most spiders actually, but when they do come in they just wander around and clean up the corners.

Spider 2.jpg

Ah, nature's pranksters..

I love the places they find to hide so they can scare the crap out of you.

My favourite joke of theirs is when they sneak  onto the back of your sunvisor In the car and you're drive along and think hmm the sun's in my eyes think I'll put my visor down and you flip it down and there's a huge spider sitting on the back of it about 6 inches from your face as you are doing 100kmh into the sun.

I usually just crash.

Im not as brave as Malcolm.

image.png.684fa9294b2c4854651d2025d2ecf4b7.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

My favourite joke of theirs is when they sneak  onto the back of your sunvisor In the car and you're drive along and think hmm the sun's in my eyes think I'll put my visor down and you flip it down and there's a huge spider sitting on the back of it about 6 inches from your face as you are doing 100kmh into the sun.

I usually just crash.

Or when they crawl out of the air vent.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I expect I can speak for many in saying that I am glad not to see an image of you being reminded of that...

The expectation is far, far worse than the actuality.

But glad to have planted the image into your mind, and that you have done similar to others...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:
11 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I usually just crash.

Or when they crawl out of the air vent.

Correct me if I am wrong, but people do actually choose to emigrate to Australia nowadays, rather than being forcibly relocated?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but people do actually choose to emigrate to Australia nowadays, rather than being forcibly relocated?

Right now, people are being forcibly prevented from travelling to Australia.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Right now, people are being forcibly prevented from travelling to Australia.

How the tables have turned...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

36 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I saw this in today's news and thought this thread was the best place to announce it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-5700711

In a similar vein here. (ie sequel to a much loved  children's classic)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-19/mad-max-new-movie-starring-chris-hemsworth-to-be-filmed-in-nsw/100077950

Edited by monkeysarefun

Spiders in cars .... 

In the Caribbean where I lived, there was nothing that could actually kill you, but a few things that could seriously ruin your day.

Tarantulas I had a great affection for.  They used to live in holes in the bank at the back of the house. In the day you'd just see their legs at the mouth of the holes; like most UK spiders, they come out to hunt at night.  They are rather shy and retiring, not the slightest bit aggressive to humans, and you'd have to work really quite hard to get bitten by one.

There were some long-legged bright orange b8ggers, though, that were really territorial and aggressive and they were bl00dy fast. leaping in great bounds right at you. They scared the bejeezus out of me.

One day, while driving some Ford SUV (which handled on the hairpin mountain roads like an ocean liner handles on hairpin mountain roads), one of these orange b*ggers shot at high velocity out of the blower and pinged around the car.

How I didn't crash, I'll never know, but we've never exited a car faster than we did that day! 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Charlize Theron? J'adore! :^)

ct.jpg.43ee73f508959e0477029e0debdbd20c.jpg

I get the uncomfortable feeling that the costume is merely spray painted and accessorised with stuck on sequins and bead necklaces...

Hubba hubba hubba!!!

:crazy:

• Like 2

On 04/05/2021 at 12:51, Regularity said:

It has been a while, hasn't it?

spacer.png

I saw a reference to Herself reprising an appearance in a remake of "The Railway Children" Don't expect it will involve underwear being torn. 

Edit... beaten to the punch !!

Edited by DonB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, DonB said:

I saw a reference to Herself reprising an appearance in a remake of "The Railway Children" Don't expect it will involve underwear being torn. 

Probably not, but red flannel granny pants don't really appeal, do they?

Or do they?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Probably not, but red flannel granny pants don't really appeal, do they?

Or do they?

I think this might be an S scale thing, along with the 'all Imperial' approach...

• Like 3
  • Funny 5