4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The GER seems to have been rather sparse with their mainframe timber lengths!

Anyways, those are looking very nice James. May I ask what couplers you intend to fit?

Douglas

3-link. Probably Slaters.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I hope I've picked up all the necessary points.  Fortunately I spotted that one side mirrored the other, so that, as drawn, on one side all the hinges, door handle etc were on the wrong side.  I know of a RTR coach where no one managed to spot that same error in time (one that was nowt to do with me, I might add!), so a lucky escape there.

Given the need to print a number of the same coach at a time (I don't yet know how many), rather than tweak the CAD each time, I am thinking of using this version both as is and as the basis for conversion.  I can, for example, convert some to gas by using cast lamp tops (probably Midland pattern, which will please Stephen) and a home made cylinder. Gas piping is probably best added, rather than printed anyway. Similarly, I can add my own emergency brake rodding to the coach end.  I can also modify slightly to make an ex-LSWR Isle of Wight version, or a straight LSWR version.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I think we're there ....

172130414_Picture5-Copy.jpg.3bdcd002e07454bc87da71e31aaedc81.jpg

With apologies, but it is late in the evening.....

I just have ask, quite how large is the interior and how it had arrived...   and does the blue light still work?

• Funny 7

8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

With apologies, but it is late in the evening.....

I just have ask, quite how large is the interior and how it had arrived...   and does the blue light still work?

I believe thats Gallifrey from the outside!

• Funny 2

That is looking very good!

Do you think you will have any problems with the "layers" building up from printing the large panels? I'm assuming you have one of the melty-plastic nozzle printers rather than the fluffing-powder-zappy kind.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

That is looking very good?

Do you think you will have any problems with the "layers" building up from printing the large panels? I'm assuming you have one of the melty-plastic nozzle printers rather than the fluffing-powder-zappy kind.

Douglas

Probably more likely a  gooey resin one.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

On 31/05/2021 at 02:52, Florence Locomotive Works said:

That is looking very good!

Douglas

On 31/05/2021 at 03:13, monkeysarefun said:

Probably more likely a  gooey resin one.

I have been away, spending time with my parents since the restrictions were relaxed to permit this.  However, I'm back now, so plan to pick up where I left off with the GER wagons. I knew this would happen, but, as I recorded elsewhere, the Great Eastern Railway Society (GERS) decided not to allow submissions to their ''showcase'' on a rolling basis, insisting, for reasons they were unable adequately to explain under cross-examination, on a cut-off date, as if it were an exhibition, with necessarily fixed dates. With their inadequate explanations, misleading information, apparent and arbitrary changes of position and generally unhelpful attitude, the GERS organisers managed to hack me off thoroughly in the process. So well done them, p1ssing my considerable goodwill up the wall! 

In the meantime, the WNR coach CAD was scheduled for a test print on Saturday just gone. It was an epic fail; the iges to STL trasnformation apparently resulted in 233 disconnected open layers.  However, designer and printer are collaborating to fix that, because, aside from the issues thrown up by file conversion, the printer believes that the CAD is viable, fits the parameters of the process etc.

I cannot comment on that process, for various reasons, so parishioners will have to tolerate a mysterious silence.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I wish I knew what you’re talking about, what’s wrong with sticking bits of plastic together?

People have been known to work wonders with Papier Mache. ( I should explain that I do not speak from personal experience  !)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

This is as good as my sticking bits of plastic together efforts ever got.

20210602_105402.jpg.ae850dd64e5347bfeee38bb171ec746d.jpg

And that was, I think, the third attempt.  It took too long for too indifferent a result, so I decided to to try the 3D print route.  The jury's still out on that option, but I'm hopeful. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Nowt wrong with sticking bits of plastic together that's really what 3D printers do. Trouble is these computer thingy's cannot think for themselves. A simple slip of a finger on a keyboard, do they spot it no! just try to do the impossible or downright stupid. Worse than Children for taking things literally. Mind you at least with computers there is none of that nappy changing and potty training. Well not for the computer maybe the operator needs it.

Looks to be quite promising. No experience of the software and all that so cannot suggest what the problem might be. Usually it is pedantic crossing Ts and dotting Is  to get the program to understand what you want. 

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Northroader said:

I wish I knew what you’re talking about, what’s wrong with sticking bits of plastic together?

4 hours ago, DonB said:

People have been known to work wonders with Papier Mache. ( I should explain that I do not speak from personal experience  !)

A number of old books that I have in my possession, describing how to go railway modelling, swear by timber, thick and thin card to produce some splendidly realistic* coaches and wagons!

* Compared, I think, with low end rtr of the era...

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

They all look great on the renders, but the quality of print I have had via that supplier's Shapeways shop is not, in my view, acceptable. The surface was rough and powdery 'finish', and the definition was poor. For instance, the raised waist band moulding simply wasn't there along the lower horizontal bands. Not a defective print, but the quality you get.  By the time you've sanded it to a smooth enough finish, there won't be any detail left!  I don't recognise the price, however, as my similar coach cost about £50.  The last Shapeways order I almost placed magically increased the price quote once it was in the basket, so I'm rather wary. 

Having sampled the W&U No.16 (converted from an 1870s GER Brake Third) pictured below, I wasn't going to touch their 1860s GER Brake Third.  

1540966226_IMG_8874-Copy.JPG.f413f8fb67716c8cdf8ff5530e08e9ae.JPG

820255743_IMG_8871-Copy.JPG.1104b473d8533b442113b03304bd939b.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

The last Shapeways order I almost placed magically increased the price quote once it was in the basket, so I'm rather wary.

I think I saw where they have been bought out and are under new management, that may have something to do with it. I’ve never had any problems with them though, but I’m in the USA so maybe their dollar to pound algorithm is off somehow. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I don't recognise the price, however, as my similar coach cost about £50.  The last Shapeways order I almost placed magically increased the price quote once it was in the basket, so I'm rather wary.

... but £13.63 seems to be for the N scale(1/148) version!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I think I saw where they have been bought out and are under new management, that may have something to do with it. I’ve never had any problems with them though, but I’m in the USA so maybe their dollar to pound algorithm is off somehow. 

For instance, an item (a set of wagon parts, not the coach, or supplier under discussion) that claims to be $36 jumps in price once you try to proceed to payment, thus:

ORDER SUMMARY
Items (1) $45.40
Processing $2.20
Shipping $23.99

Total: $69.39
VAT 20% $11.57
Your order will be charged in EUR. Your total is €56.87 EURi

You'll see that the item itself has jumped, in the same currency, from $36 to $45.50. 

The shipping  cost is a bit of a killer too!

My thought was 'b*gger this for a game of soldiers'

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

For instance, an item (a set of wagon parts, not the coach, or supplier under discussion) that claims to be $36 jumps in price once you try to proceed to payment, thus:

ORDER SUMMARY
Items (1) $45.40
Processing $2.20
Shipping $23.99

Total: $69.39
VAT 20% $11.57
Your order will be charged in EUR. Your total is €56.87 EURi

You'll see that the item itself has jumped, in the same currency, from $36 to $45.50. 

The shipping  cost is a bit of a killer too!

My thought was 'b*gger this for a game of soldiers'

Yep, price algorithm has certainly had a fit. I think that may even be illegal in the USA if they don’t state the reason for the price increase. I would suggest contacting them, although that may be a long and arduous battle.