5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't underestimate the value of this to railway modellers though. When we moved into our present (and, hopefully, final) home, a big part of the justification for building a larger railway room (council considers it to be a garage) was to deal with the Accumulation of Stuff. Large quantities of said Stuff are now stored underneath the baseboards, out of the way but easily accessible. This amount of Stuff demanded a lot of space, which therefore resulted in a large railway room with a large model railway in it. Happiness and contentment for all.

Very much my view.  The Caste Aching boards are deep enough to store the large 64L Really Useful Boxes end-on 2-deep!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tom Burnham said:

P1010701-medium.JPG

Moving from left to right I saw a 3rd class and then an 8th class. Who knows what the standard of accommodation would be in there. Probably just one big saloon compartment with no seats and straw on the floor. Then I noticed the tiny little gaps in the "8" and realised it was just a 3rd

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

Very nice!

Of course, the lower orders don't need glass, they're used to being outdoors in all sorts of weather so the roof and ends would have been sheer luxury, and they don't need to keep books/newspapers dry to read while travelling as they probably can't read. And then its a good idea if the weather keeps the straw dampish so it doesn't catch fire if ashes from pipes fall on it!

Good ventilation too, who'd have thought that the railway company had anticipated Covid back then?

• Like 3

A magnificent coach.  However, to reassure the Lower Orders of West Norfolk in the 1850s, their Joseph Wright coaches will be adapted to their climate.

For, whereas:

New South Wales enjoys a year-round sub-tropical climate, with warm semi-tropical summers, particularly in lower central areas and cool winters.

In the springtime from September to November, New South Wales comes alive with lush greenery and enjoys balmy, sunny days ...

Summer in New South Wales, December to February, is characteristically hot and dry, with maximum temperatures reaching 30°C.

In Norfolk, on the other hand ....

kw-cromer-weather-25-september-fe13bf52.jpg.0a00358b33abe75914d47bf7ddc7fd9c.jpg

So, little smoked-up windows and the dark fug of shared oil lamps it is!

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

In the springtime from September to November, New South Wales comes alive with lush greenery and enjoys balmy, sunny days ...

Surely that means that at times its going to absolutely bucket down!  Warm rain is still wet...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Having lived sometime in a tropical climate where the rain is warm, I can attest that, for me, it is the coldness of our native rain, rather than its wetness, that is its decisively unpleasant characteristic!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A word of warning for the Directors of the WNR on through carriages.  One of the General Managers of the Cambrian was asked in a Board meeting, in the early 1890s or there abouts, why they were paying out rather than gaining, or drawing even on through coaches.  His reply was that the mileage that the mileage on foreign metals was much more than on home metals.  The WNR would probably be in the same situation.  It may be that the Cambrian did not have enough coaches to do turn and turn about with the other companies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

A word of warning for the Directors of the WNR on through carriages.  One of the General Managers of the Cambrian was asked in a Board meeting, in the early 1890s or there abouts, why they were paying out rather than gaining, or drawing even on through coaches.  His reply was that the mileage that the mileage on foreign metals was much more than on home metals.  The WNR would probably be in the same situation.  It may be that the Cambrian did not have enough coaches to do turn and turn about with the other companies.

The Directors of the WNR could try asking the companies whose through carriages they are accepting to guarantee  a certain rate of return.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

3 rd class on NSWGR No 1 train didnt waste windows on those who couldnt afford them.

As I think I've said before, 4th Class on the E&G when it opened didn't even have seats, never mind roofs or windows!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Yesterday I had a happy day trimming these free of supports.  The WNR's Sharp Stewart standard classes.  These are 3D prints from Sparkshot Custom Creations (@Knucklesif this parish), including a couple of conversions therefrom.

All that is missing are the four planned 4-4-0s, but @Knuckles has kindling said he'll draw these up when I'm ready.

20210711_184106.jpg.34110eb2f885b0e9cc61cb2c7fd10b13.jpg

At the bottom of the picture we have six 2-4-0s.  Above are the six 0-6-0s.  One I split, cutting the frames away from the boiler.  The boiler is to be used for a tank engine version, the frames are married to a larger boiler and 6-wheel tender, representing a recent rebuild.

That is an impressive sight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, now those look absolutely delightful! Is that a GBL Wainwright C tender at the back for the larger 0-6-0?

I shall very much look forward to seeing these in WNR livery, but don't envy you the lining! With that many similar locos, might it be worth ordering a few sets of custom transfers designed to fit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Oh, now those look absolutely delightful! Is that a GBL Wainwright C tender at the back for the larger 0-6-0?

Yes, indeed!

This is courtesy of Simon @Regularity, IIRC.  I wanted a larger boiler and, although not an exact match, the inspiration was the appearance of the later Sharp 'Ottoman' 0-6-0s of the LT&SR.

Then I looked at drawings of them and saw that the C Class tender could be tweaked to resemble their Sharp 6W tenders. 

ltsr50-L.jpg.4b1b6fe44201d402e4ce17f0cfcd7f7f.jpg

2 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

I shall very much look forward to seeing these in WNR livery, but don't envy you the lining! With that many similar locos, might it be worth ordering a few sets of custom transfers designed to fit?

Yes, indeed; the plan has always been to commission transfers!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I had a happy day trimming these free of supports.  The WNR's Sharp Stewart standard classes.  These are 3D prints from Sparkshot Custom Creations (@Knuckles of this parish), including a couple of conversions therefrom.

All that is missing are the four planned 4-4-0s, but @Knuckles has kindly said he'll draw these up when I'm ready.

<picture snipped>

At the bottom of the picture we have six 2-4-0s.  Above are the six 0-6-0s.  One I split, cutting the frames away from the boiler.  The boiler is used for a tank engine seen, the frames are married to a larger boiler and 6-wheel tender, representing a recent rebuild.

That really is a fine sight James.  Absolutely lovely.  I really do like 'Sharpies', they are the perfect engines for small and minor railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

At the bottom of the picture we have six 2-4-0s.  Above are the six 0-6-0s. 

Stop it.

You will make me want to model the Furness for the umpteenth time!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Stop it.

You will make me want to model the Furness for the umpteenth time!

This loco will not appear on your layout (unless you build it).  It might be worth asking @Knuckles if he would print one in S, as he has done one or two locos in that scale. Go direct, though, not via Shapeways.

Rampside-Railway-Station-Photo-Barrow-Piel-Furness.jpg.08434d310fffd9c6b663d4f14af49440.jpg

• Like 5

Can print some S items here although some (at the moment) have to be Shapeways only as they have bigger printers.   If interested though please send email at sparkshot082@gmail.com and can have a look.

That said I recently brought a Elegoo Mars 2 along side the 2 Photons and it has a bit more print space. 

The big printer/s will have to wait until the top shed is renovated though.

--

Must say I'm really looking forward to seeing some of those loco's completed. :)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1