• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I've decided to bolster the WNR wagon fleet.

Bishop's Lynn means Baltic timber to carry, so I hacked up a couple of single bolsters from Cambrian Kits Gloucester 15' under frames ......

20210819_183405.jpg.88e1369d0bc45f73972d4239c81b75af.jpg

any sign of the contrators and their motive power ?

• Like 1

I’m now imagining Cambrian Railway draughtsmen engaging in all sorts of utopian doodling when slightly under-employed: sketching seat-cushions for third class, sneakily adding continuous braking to wagon drawings, that sort of thing. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m now imagining Cambrian Railway draughtsmen engaging in all sorts of utopian doodling when slightly under-employed:

A (the ?) draughtsman on the M&CR clearly had artistic pretensions  - the plans for a new signal box at Currock Junction, Carlisle have shading and shadows carefully added, which is no mean feat given the complexity of the stairway involved.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/08/2021 at 23:10, webbcompound said:

I hesitate to raise a query, given the fleet manager's erudition level, but I wonder if the timber bolsters are likely to still be dumb buffered at this date. This would certainly appear to be the case for the LNWR.

On 19/08/2021 at 23:46, ChrisN said:

The Cambrian, that power house of modernity and inventiveness, had sprung buffers on their 1901 drawing of their timber bolster wagons.

It's not abundantly clear in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 but the D12 timber wagons seem all to have been built with dumb buffers - from 1870 to 1911 - with later conversion to self-contained sprung buffers, according to a note dated 7 Jan 1914 on GA17 reproduced in the book. The D13 twin timber wagons were built in the mid 70s, then 1894-1902. GA46 showing dumb buffers is dated 12 May 1898 but soon after there was a change to conventional spring buffers, GA53 dated 12 April 1899.

On the Midland, dumb buffered timber trucks were built up to 1901 then when after a gap of several years construction continued in 1908, spring buffers were fitted. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 20/08/2021 at 19:19, CKPR said:

A (the ?) draughtsman on the M&CR clearly had artistic pretensions  - the plans for a new signal box at Currock Junction, Carlisle have shading and shadows carefully added, which is no mean feat given the complexity of the stairway involved.

Or the sun ever being out there.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

We went into a café in Conniston one afternoon when there was that constant heavy drizzle that soaks right into you and which had been on all day.  When we commented on how miserable a day it was, the lady owner said 'That's not proper Lake District rain, it's just a little damp!'

Jim

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Which doesn’t really deal adequately with Manchester, unless granite setts also need a lot of rain to thrive.

The rain helped the Mancunian ratepayers because the costant precipitation meant the council didn't have to invest in water carts to wash the (pre-grouping, obviously..) streets clean.  So, in a way, granite setts did need a lot of rain to thrive.  :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

We went into a café in Conniston one afternoon when there was that constant heavy drizzle that soaks right into you and which had been on all day.  When we commented on how miserable a day it was, the lady owner said 'That's not proper Lake District rain, it's just a little damp!'

What in the West of Ireland is called "a dry day".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Jim

If it’s raining in Coniston, you can’t see The Old Man.

If you can see The Old Man of Coniston, then it’s going to rain…

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Just now, Regularity said:

If it’s raining in Coniston, you can’t see The Old Man.

If you can see The Old Man of Coniston, then it’s going to rain…

There's a similar one around here.

If you can see Wales, its going to rain.

If you can't see Wales, its raining!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You've all been having the sort of holiday we've just had. Tarn Hows answered the above descriptions of moist atmosphere exactly. We headed east for one of our finer days:

1543721673_EgglestoneAbbey.JPG.931f2d59ef610769e9e464a43e5fe88d.JPG

English Heritage are not wrong in describing Egglestone Abbey, looking down on the Tees, as an excellent spot for a picnic. We went on to Barnard Castle, visiting the castle, which I'd not done before. The North American on tickets had his patter well honed, excusing the lack of guide books on the increase in visitor numbers since Dominic Cummings' infamous trip - they'll be putting a statue up to him in the Horse Market before long!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not that I can be all like superior sitting  here in the Australian  sunshine given the forecast here today is for 80mm of rain...

Yeah, but your August is like our February…

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1