• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, DonB said:

I believe that many industrial museums were closed due to government funding cuts a couple of years before the 'plague'.  Certainly the Local Studies and Industrial Museums at Derby were closed and unless someone can correct me I think they still are closed.

The Industrial Museum in Derby - the Silk Mill - has recently reopened as the Museum of Making after a major refurbishment (involving, inter alia, the removal of a lot of asbestos). Home of the Midland Railway Study Centre; I was there last Wednesday.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The Industrial Museum in Derby - the Silk Mill - has recently reopened as the Museum of Making after a major refurbishment (involving, inter alia, the removal of a lot of asbestos). Home of the Midland Railway Study Centre; I was there last Wednesday.

Great, so they should have a copy of the Charm of Making

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The Industrial Museum in Derby - the Silk Mill - has recently reopened as the Museum of Making after a major refurbishment (involving, inter alia, the removal of a lot of asbestos). Home of the Midland Railway Study Centre.

Delighted to be corrected, not been into Derby for 15 months now and don't buy the local news paper. Must make the effort to visit , It's only 8 miles from here.  I have a vested interest since i donated some Railway related glass negative plates to the museum  about 18 years ago. I wonder if they have survived all the upheaval ? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Only if Excalibur was made in Derby, which it wasn't - Eastleigh.

Yes, but why not Museum of Manufacture, which would sound far less New Age Pretentious B0ll0cksy Perfect Curve Brand Management garbage?

But then, I have decided that my superpower is Being Unnecessarily Oldfashioned.

I hope the Twelve Year Olds haven't stripped the museum of any meaningful narrative content, like they have at the National Army Museum. 

Edited by Edwardian
Grammar
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, DonB said:

Delighted to be corrected, not been into Derby for 15 months now and don't buy the local news paper. Must make the effort to visit , It's only 8 miles from here.  I have a vested interest since i donated some Railway related glass negative plates to the museum  about 18 years ago. I wonder if they have survived all the upheaval ? 

Probably Dave Harris, the Study Centre Co-ordinator, would be the person to ask, via the Study Centre website.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

why not Museum of Manufacture, which would sound far less New Age Pretentious B0ll0cksy Perfect Curve Brand Management garbage?

For precisely the reason you mention.

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

But then, I have decided that my superpower is Being Unnecessarily Oldfashioned.

Ah, you see, you're not their target audience. You'd go to an Industrial Museum whatever it was called. It's the people who wouldn't go to something called "Industrial Museum" that they need to get through the doors. Remember that tomorrow's boring old f**ts are today's trendy youngsters.

22 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, you see, you're not their target audience. 

They'll regret when I go all Ed Reardon on their ass!*

The point is, how many Lottery Millions mediocre Third Sector types in the Museum Industry (rather than the Industry Museum) waste on paying even greater Oxygen Wasters from PR agencies to dream up asinine crap in the name of 'making the museum relevant' to the educationally sub-normal?!?**.

* Though that does seem a tad harsh from the donkey's point of view

** Or, these days, probably just normal

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The point is, how many Lottery Millions mediocre Third Sector types in the Museum Industry (rather than the Industry Museum) waste on paying even greater Oxygen Wasters from PR agencies to dream up asinine crap in the name of 'making the museum relevant' to the educationally sub-normal?!?**.

Ah, y'see folks, he's Cantab. They're an earnest lot. Oxonians just sit back and derive pleasure from whatever and in whatever way they can, preferably with a glass of port, either before, during*, or afterwards.

*Can be tricky, that.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, y'see folks, he's Cantab. They're an earnest lot. Oxonians just sit back and derive pleasure from whatever and in whatever way they can, preferably with a glass of port, either before, during*, or afterwards.

I thought the essential difference was that Cambridge produced martyrs, whereas Oxford burned them…

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I have no details of building dates etc. but at Watchet the Gasworks was not close to the railway. Of course being a port with the Welsh coast nearer than the main line at Taunton coal for the gasworks would most likely come by sea.

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Re:_  post grad lunches :-

Does anyone actually drink Port these days?  I associate it , ( Never having partaken, or even had it offered, as a post dinner drink). with older ladies  sipping their "Port and Lemon"  I have two bottles in my drinks cabinet , neither have been opened in the las 10 years, they just get dusted every so often and we mutter that "we must get rid of these" as we put them back into storage.

Is there a rule "always pass the port to the left" and if so, why?  I assume this doesn't refer to navigation? 

Edited by DonB
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, DonB said:

Does anyone actually drink Port these days?  I associate it , ( Never having partaken, or even had it offered, as a post dinner drink). with older ladies  sipping their "Port and Lemon"  I have two bottles in my drinks cabinet , neither have been opened in the las 10 years, they just get dusted every so often and we mutter that "we must get rid of these" as we put them back into storage.

Is there a rule "always pass the port to the left" and if so, why?  I assume this doesn't apply to navigation? 

I like port, however, but it very much dislikes me; more than a glass or two and my head splits the next day, whereas I can take claret to the point of unconsciousness without the same effect.

As to the direction port is passed, I do not know if the origin of that tradition is known for certain, though there is more than one theory.

My Lord, the port is with you ....

06tr020.jpg.129b7ece3695639798eae80079de29a6.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I will hold my hand up to drinking Port - usually a good bottle brought from Xmas and drunk with cheese.  Also from time to time a glass of chilled white Port drunk as an apperative.

Stilton.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Stilton.

The Ultimate Cheese.

Sorry, France, much as I love the seductively powerful taste and industrial strength stench of your many fine cheeses in all their gloriously offensive varieties, there is only one Supreme Cheese; Stilton!

When I am finally tried and sentenced to death for sedition, I will elect a slow, pleasurable suicide; eating myself to death with Stilton. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

Showing my age, I always associated port [fatuously, as it turns out] with gout.

Stilton, I associated with the clergy.[Angled, rather than t'uther lot]

Stilton no longer agrees with me [ A fact if life I have generally become used to...there are not a lot of things in life who, or which, agree with me!]

Black Bomber I find agreeable.

As well as LIdl's finest Moustrap!

As for alcohol?

In my economically-simplified state I find less use for it.

I have a half bottle of Asbach in the cupboard. Been there a good ten years, occasionally used to disinfect wounds, or in attempts to clean the drains...

I find nowadays I need to do everything to keep my senses [Or do nothing which further befuddles them?] on an even keel.

Even to shunning trips on waltzers!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I will hold my hand up to drinking Port - usually a good bottle brought from Xmas and drunk with cheese. 

45 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Stilton.

Both go exceedingly well with a slice of Christmas cake.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DonB said:

Does anyone actually drink Port these days? 

Yes, if I'm given it - as I said, Oxford education. Just last night finished the last bottle I had under the stairs. I've generally dropped gentle hints when the gift of a bottle of something might be in the offing! When I had a secondary school year 9 tutor group, I did quite well at Christmas and the end of the summer term from those pupils whose parents understood What Teachers Need. Any port in a storm, as they say.

The thought of contaminating it with lemon appals me. Cheese of any sort but especially blue; also chocolates.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, if I'm given it - as I said, Oxford education.

Ah, that explains it.

My degree was independently verified by a statutory body, rather than the awarding institution, so obviously am used to earning and enjoying life's pleasures rather than waiting to be given them...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 11/09/2021 at 10:34, Nearholmer said:

Small gasworks had small pumps, and limited networks of pipes, and were ideally situated near the centre of the area they served (lots weren’t), and given that on a lot of towns the railway station wasn’t central, that might cause the two to be far apart. 

The same considerations applied to the tiny little generating stations built by some early electric light companies.

Our local gasworks was fairly large, and slap bang next to the railway, but had no siding, which seems a bit perverse. 

My Brighton Railway search seemed to indicate that well over half the gas works located at or near stations didn't have a siding immediately serving the works. Presumably the coal was unloaded into carts etc and moved across the yard to the retorts.

As for the amount of coal delivered, a Goods Working Book from the LBSC from 1918 has a list of expected wagon loads serving various sidings, including a number of gas and electricity works, which may be enlightening. An alternative source suggests that the Mitcham gasworks, over a mile from the yard that served it, received around 200 tons a day in the 1930's, which tallies, roughly, with the 20 wagons a day from 1918.

image.png.7dfeb166efc10f3d1f29e635d588d7cb.pngimage.png.42a5b22868d72324d4e8801d72d9657f.png

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

image.png.42a5b22868d72324d4e8801d72d9657f.png

As many out as in - coke, presumably, with the occasional tar tank. Where there a fewer loaded wagons out than in, presumably coke is being sold locally - but why isn't that happening everywhere? And what was going on at Portsea?

• Like 2

Fascinating, Nick, thank you.

Such apparent inconsistency!

Small town gasworks tend to have one or two large holders or one such plus one or two small ones.

Bognor: 2 Gasometers

Portsea: 1

Horley: 2

Leatherhead: 3 

Both National Library of Scotland maps and Britain From Above are good resources.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Regarding gasworks and stations, on the CK&PR itself, Cockermouth gasworks were adjacent to the line to the west of the station and had its own sidings, whilst the Keswick gasworks were nearer to the town centre and separated from the railway by the River Greta. Hence, all the coal would have been carted for 1/4 mile or so up Station Rd, down Bank St. , along Greta Side and thence to the gas works on Otley Rd. ( and no, I've no idea either why there is an Otley Rd in Keswick).

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5