I was reading the predictions that some  south London clairvoyant who was a lion in a past life and who has lived in another galaxy has made for 2022 and he  reckons that the 90s band 'Steps' will see a huge resurgence in their popularity.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Now you're talking, James!  Santa has been really good to you!  Just confirms what I always thought, you have impeccable taste! :fan::D

Here's the real 828.

DSC_0945.JPG.f3c71312e379ab4967bbce0515c162e1.JPG

Now, how about a through carriage from Glasgow to CA?  :scratchhead:  There was a daily one to Bristol, so not too far fetched!

Jim

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2021 at 13:08, Edwardian said:

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

I hope father Christmas paid you all a visit.

This year he proved open to suggestion .....

1703229244_20211225_125230(3).jpg.64f4401ceb76ec774c2b498a10f631e1.jpg

633614074_20211225_125402(2).jpg.9e871887c5a52c43723556bd666aa1e9.jpg

All that engine for one little carriage truck?

Belated New Years Greetings to all and sundry.

I too had books, as discussed elsewhere.

New Year, new mojo, new modelling!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

All that engine for one little carriage truck?

In the absence of a 'frown' reaction and in the words of my old tech teacher, I will treat that remark with the contempt it deserves!

Jim

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, micklner said:

The Hattons LNER 6 wheelers , when they arrive look good too for the NER.

Kirkby Stephen or similar ? very nice .

Beat me to it! Richmond, if I'm not very much mistaken. deep in the soft south from James' perspective, even if it's diametrically opposite on the compass from the Surrey one!

But I agree: whilst the Hornby 6-wheelers are closer to NE carriages than they are to NB, the Hattons will be even closer... I wouldn't say that was entirely accidental.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 23/01/2022 at 21:17, Compound2632 said:

But I agree: whilst the Hornby 6-wheelers are closer to NE carriages than they are to NB, the Hattons will be even closer... I wouldn't say that was entirely accidental.

:D

On 23/01/2022 at 21:24, Nearholmer said:

So, have you just whipped that splendid station into being?

No. If I'd had the time to do that, CA would have its station building.  The Drill Hall took 5 months of my modelling time, so there is no way I could manage to take on a subject such as Richmond.

You know I have a curatorial fondness for old card scratch-built buildings, so when this one came up for sale, I could not resist.

There are three NER branch termini particularly attractive to me as subjects, the Newcastle & Carlisle's Alton, the NER' Middleton-in-Teesdale and the York & Newcastle's Richmond. Now I have a realistic chance to recreate one.

Richmond was part of the George Hudson empire and the justly celebrated G T Andrews the architect. He adapted his standard designs for the engine shed and warehouse, but he really pulled the stops out for the station, produce a unique structure to suite the historic grandeur of the town. On the opposite bank of the Swale he built a very fine school in the gothic style, also still extant.  The station is nowadays my local cinema, as I've mentioned a few time before.

Anyway, the model of the station building was constructed by Louis Heath in, I believe, 1975.  I do not have the pleasure of knowing the gentleman, but I gather he is still among us, a noted LNER modeller and savant. The roof was recently renewed, using bespoke 3D printed parts by Chirs Grouse, who has, today, handed the baton, so to speak, to Yours Truly.

There will be some minor changes required, as, me being me, this is no longer to be a representation of BR condition Richmond. The most obvious change that springs to mind is the large 'goods' door inserted at the far end of the façade.  This will need to be restored to a window.  I think the central door in behind the entrance colonnade needs to be filled in, too. However, the station changed remarkably little and Ken Hoole's excellent NER branch volume has excellent drawings showing the 1912  condition, so that is what I shall refer to. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

So not the one I linked to? The two models seemed more alike in detail than could be explained merely by their both being very good models of the same building...

No, you found the right one. The layout I acquired today is the one in the video (I have the station boards) and the reference to mid-life crisis is my propensity to buy stuff like this on impulse!

The gentleman in the video replaced the roof, but it's Louis Heath's original build otherwise. 

Richmond has a number of other buildings.  The signal cabin, goods warehouses, engine shed and pump house are part of the layout. These were built as commission pieces to supplement's Mr Heath's 'vintage' model of the station itself.  I understand these models were built by one Matthew Darlington, rather appropriately, as the service to Richmond ran from there. 

Other buildings are not featured due to space: The station master's 'villa', the coal agent's house, and a pair of brick cottages, all still extant. These may or may not be modelled by me depending on the layout footprint.

EDIT: You can see all three of these domestic structures in the picture below. Left foreground is the coal agent's house, to the right the pair of brick cottages and behind and to the right of the station train shed is the station master's 'villa'. What fun it would be to build these!

1146461325_Richmond02.jpg.599d5347b6fde963c9f5aac28fb70014.jpg

I'll have to model the coal drops too, of course.

That leaves the worker's cottages and the ruined St Martin's Priory.  Some Metcalfe cottages were doing service for the former, but I would build a replacement block.  Again, these buildings are extant, but readers may recall them from the model in the Richmond Museum, which has featured here before. 

IMG_2045.JPG.aa0096218d9ed13db8c3ab3f91903b79.jpg.8a40a198ae0671f63265d2b72ca53d64.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

No, you found the right one.

I withdrew that post, since your subsequent post adequately explained the history. But the Youtube videos can be found readily enough - after all, it only took me three minutes to track them down. I had a hunch I'd seen the model before but it may have been the museum one I was remembering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I withdrew that post, since your subsequent post adequately explained the history. But the Youtube videos can be found readily enough - after all, it only took me three minutes to track them down. I had a hunch I'd seen the model before but it may have been the museum one I was remembering.

It has an RMWeb topic too. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Now that is a lovely piece of modelling James.  Like you I have a liking for quality scratchbuilt card models and that model of Richmond station is a beautiful thing to behold.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2