The Ostrich is also quite a long building. And tall, three stories (dormers in roof) when compared with the smaller building to the left in your image

That will help break up the skyline, but might stand out to much.

Also, possibly reduce length by one set of windows.

attachicon.gifDSC08323-1024x768.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08312-1024x768.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08314-1024x768.JPG

Leave out the two to the left of the through cart entrance? Just have a vertical support wall? Why not make up a rough model from old cereal packets, etc. Just to get/test the visual balance.

Dave

Dave, I agree and this may be one for the mock-up.  In terms of scale and roofline, I have to balance the Castle Acre High Street Cottages to the left with the Georgian lodge from Docking to the right.  Tricky.

Of course, I'll have to get some more printer ink first anyhow!

I then think I could do it on the basis of your photographs, assuming you were happy with that.  I had never thought to include the Ostrich, so I don't think I have enough useful shots.

Crikey, that was quick! Pictures too.

Yes, that was exactly what I had in mind. I think Iain Rice drew a plan for a fictitious station at Clun, with lots of similarities. And, do you remember Llareggub by Dave Rowlands (IIRC)? Then there's a hooge 00 or EM layout depicting somewhere Up North, with a great swathe of gritty townscape sweeping up a hill - saw it at St Albans exhibition.

K

• Like 1

Dave, I agree and this may be one for the mock-up.  In terms of scale and roofline, I have to balance the Castle Acre High Street Cottages to the left with the Georgian lodge from Docking to the right.  Tricky.

Of course, I'll have to get some more printer ink first anyhow!

I then think I could do it on the basis of your photographs, assuming you were happy with that.  I had never thought to include the Ostrich, so I don't think I have enough useful shots.

If you want to use the photo's no problem. That's why I took them so they could be of use to someone.

There's a few in my gallery, but for higher resolution ones, PM me your e-mail and I'll send them to you if you want them.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The buildings are excellent and the pub will be to the same standard, I'm sure. It looks like you can end up with a very good looking village and a simple tramway type line and small station in front of it, and lose a fancy layout with sidings. Nothing wrong with that surely? I'm a fan of the Madder Valley as well, although the castle at the back is a bit overpowering. Printer ink at that price?? Do some searches on this electronic mangle in front of you. I had the same problem and found a warehouse (in Switzerland, rather suprisingly, I thought it would be coming from the backstreets of Slough or some such) which would supply the pukka ink at a fraction of the price elsewhere, now all I want is a printer that works, as the one I've got is elderly and has conked.

The Ostrich is also quite a long building. And tall, three stories (dormers in roof) when compared with the smaller building to the left in your image

That will help break up the skyline, but might stand out to much.

Also, possibly reduce length by one set of windows.

attachicon.gifDSC08323-1024x768.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08312-1024x768.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC08314-1024x768.JPG

Leave out the two to the left of the through cart entrance? Just have a vertical support wall? Why not make up a rough model from old cereal packets, etc. Just to get/test the visual balance.

Dave

Apropos nothing very much, there are – or used to be – several pubs called the Ostrich in NW Norfolk as most of the land in that area belonged to the Holkham Estate and that exotic bird featured on their family crest. By the time the College of Arms had finished with it the ostrich often looked more like a dodo...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure the latest cottages are too big. Looking at houses round here, there are enormous variations in floor height even with buildings of similar age and construction. And anyway it would be a pity if no-one could see them hidden at the back.

Jonathan

• Like 1

No sooner do I start to form a question .......... I was beginning to wonder why a Norfolk pub has that name. K

Wagonman has answered my unspoken question there.  I might have assumed this was a whimsical modern name, but the pre-WW1 Castle Acre directories showed it as the Ostrich even then, so there had to be an interesting explanation.

Dave, I really like the Baby Ostrich, however, if I move Docking Lodge further to the right, as I suspect I must, I might have room for the Full Ostrich!

You may enjoy this.  I was up this morning at some ungodly hour, suited and booted for court in London (I usually dress like a tramp), closing the gate as my wife backed the car.  Now our cottage is on a farm and a lot of the ground is muddy this time of year.  As the Memsahib started to reverse, the front wheels span sending up mud spray in precisely my direction.  Instinctively and with fortuitous speed, I pulled my overcoat across my front and turned side-on like a duellist to minimise the impact.  I still got mud on my coat, on my suit and, most comically, all over my face, but mercifully my clean white and only serviceable shirt was missed!  

Well, Kevin, I started at the Bar, many, many years ago, with wig and gown and whatnot, dancing my dance like a "semi-despondent fury".

These days I am a solicitor, and yesterday I was instructing Counsel.  It was a highly contested interim hearing in a commercial matter; we came away with exactly what we wanted, but it has been a very stressful week getting there, so I have not been that active on the modelling front.  Still, until the house sells I need to keep working every hour I can! 

• RMweb Premium

One warning on printer ink. At one time there were genuine toner cartridges around but only a quarter full - but half the price. We worked out that they left the factory by the back door. Neither I nor the retailer were caught more than once.

But the same could happen with ink cartridges.

There are some respectable clones, though.

Jonathan

The Holkam Estate didn't have a connection with the Forest of Dean did they? There's a rather nice pub called The Ostrich in Newland.

They did have other land holdings – famously in the Manchester area which the 1st Earl had casually sold off without even realising it sat on millions of tons of coal (he was more interested in his turnips and sheep) – but I'm not aware of any in the Forest of Dean. The archives at Holkham Hall are very comprehensive though...

No modelling so far this weekend!  We continue our close relationship with cars and mud, however.  Last night, the A1 being closed, all the Artics were diverted via a particularly unsuitable alternative route that the Memsahib was also forced onto.  A lorry containing bitchumen, or some such thing, for the repair of the said A1, tipped up when his load slid to the back of his wagon, blocking the narrow stone bridge over the Tees.  The Mem was forced to pull onto the sodden verge to allow another artic to come to tow the first one off.

And there the car stuck.   The lone copper deployed had lacked the means to stop traffic further from the bridge, hence the log jam, but at least it meant there was someone to give the Mem a lift home.

After a bracing 3 or so mile walk, much pushing and wheel spinning, and, finally, a kind farmer with a tractor and chain, we still managed to get the Boy to school on time this morning, so he won't get Gated.  Hurray.  Off for my breakfast now.

Much empathy regarding mud and rain. The combination isn't a good one.

Son and I just back from a match played on a sodden pitch, in a steady downpour, during which the lads on his team progressively succumbed to injuries and the cold, leaving only four of them, playing a team of seven. Son scored the only goal for his side in a 4-1 defeat.

I think it is called "character building stuff".

K

Progress still slow, but I think I have resolved one issue that was niggling me.  I thought that the full-size brick house (right side of the pictures) was not fitting in.  I realised that, as the first full-sized building in the street, it needed to sit lower than the 98% (or so!) house next door, otherwise it was sat on the lower vanishing point line at the same height as the smaller (slightly) building.  It might be hard to judge from the pictures, but dropping the house just the depth of the cutting mat seems to have made all the difference.

I am also trying to judge the placing of Docking Lodge.  This is a much taller and grander building than the Bailey Street cottages, but built at about 3mm scale, whereas the small end of Bailey Street is at 3.5mm scale (HO).

I am starting to feel a bit more confidence that the composition will 'come off'.

post-25673-0-56747000-1460881154_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-34377800-1460881168_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-56747000-1460881154_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-34377800-1460881168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 17

Not much achieved today on the modelling front; finished the yellow brick cottage, so I am still edging along Bailey Street, and dashed off some Aidan Campbell workmen in relaxed poses.

Did sample the delights of the Thorpe Light Railway, however.

post-25673-0-51786200-1460917387_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-61026300-1460917400_thumb.jpgpost-25673-0-24644500-1460917419_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-51786200-1460917387_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61026300-1460917400_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-24644500-1460917419_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 17