Not sure if it is ‘King Haakon VII’ - that one is usually carrying a lighter green livery. This one looks like linked black (though that might be the light) which would make it ‘Norwegian’ from the KESR. Though I can’t recall if ‘Norwegian’ has ever been away from home.

Lovely locos they are - the original locos are from a design by David Jones on the Highland Railway, and built by Dubs and Co. - if only they’d been built for this country!

http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/steam-locomotives/no-19

I think it is 377 ‘King Haakon VII’ from Bressingham - 376 has always retained the brass numbers on the cab side.  Although the 21c class like 376 and 377 only dates from 1919, the earlier 21a class dates back to 1904, so was eminently Edwardian.  376  is a regular performer on the K&ESR at the moment, often with the "vintage" carriage set.  See photo I took about a fortnight ago -

post-29439-0-98579600-1535487778_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yes, and we might date that change from the adoption of the Adams design.

Home grown Beyer 4-4-0 designs for New South Wales and Norwegian Government Railways, 1876-7.

Then, they build the Adams 4-4-0s, then the very similar 4-4-0s for Lynn & Fakenham (1882) and Buenos Aires & Rosario Railway (1884).  Not sure the WNR would have stretched to one in the 1880s!

That's one heck of a chimbley.

Looks like it was King Haakon. It was repainted at Bressingham and then taken to Warner Brothers studios to be used in "The Legend of Tarzan" film.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/what-s-on/bressingham-steam-locomotive-plays-part-in-upcoming-legend-of-tarzan-film-1-4600741

I took the photo's in July 2014, so probably on it's way to the studio. Film released in 2016.

Looks like it was King Haakon. It was repainted at Bressingham and then taken to Warner Brothers studios to be used in "The Legend of Tarzan" film.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/what-s-on/bressingham-steam-locomotive-plays-part-in-upcoming-legend-of-tarzan-film-1-4600741

I took the photo's in July 2014, so probably on it's way to the studio. Film released in 2016.

As a film buff I can tell you that the film... Well it's not great.

As a film buff I can tell you that the film... Well it's not great.

Few films are, though some are ok....

I must admit that "The Legend of Tarzan" is so far below my radar that it may as well be considered a mole! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

A film of a book by Sir Henry Rider Haggard, would be more appropriate than Edgar Rice Burroughs, Since HR Haggard was born just 11 miles from Castle Acre and lived through the right time period..

• Like 1

A film of a book by Sir Henry Rider Haggard, would be more appropriate than Edgar Rice Burroughs, Since HR Haggard was born just 11 miles from Castle Acre and lived through the right time period..

I had read the usual novels, but was hitherto unaware of his wide-ranging and prolific Times correspondence, which includes a number of letters on matters Norfolk, which it would be very interesting to track down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_H._Rider_Haggard

I recall when living in the West Indies, a visiting correspondent introduced himself as representing "the London Times". 

"No", replied the Memsahib, "you are not from the 'London Times'.  There is the Irish Times, the New York Times and the Times of India, all no doubt excellent newspapers, but there is no such thing as 'the London Times', your paper is simply The Times".

• Like 2

Few films are, though some are ok....

I must admit that "The Legend of Tarzan" is so far below my radar that it may as well be considered a mole! :jester:

It's not even managed "OK" though. It's just bad. And not even funny bad like a 50s B-movie, just plain bad.

A film of a book by Sir Henry Rider Haggard, would be more appropriate than Edgar Rice Burroughs, Since HR Haggard was born just 11 miles from Castle Acre and lived through the right time period..

Issue is I don't know any books by Haggard... Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Premium

I recall when living in the West Indies, a visiting correspondent introduced himself as representing "the London Times". 

"No", replied the Memsahib, "you are not from the 'London Times'.  There is the Irish Times, the New York Times and the Times of India, all no doubt excellent newspapers, but there is no such thing as 'the London Times', your paper is simply The Times".

As a descendant of journalists as well as librarians, I would like to spring to this journalist's defence. A quick bit of googling throws up The Caribbean Times, a since-defunct weekly, so there was clearly the need for some disambiguation. To have said simply The Times might have smacked of presumption. He may have meant "the London Times" rather than The London Times. Some sort of apology for working for that publication ought to have been intended, at any rate. Let us hope that he has moved on to better things.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

As a descendant of journalists as well as librarians, I would like to spring to this journalist's defence. A quick bit of googling throws up The Caribbean Times, a since-defunct weekly, so there was clearly the need for some disambiguation. To have said simply The Times might have smacked of presumption. He may have meant "the London Times" rather than The London Times. Some sort of apology for working for that publication ought to have been intended, at any rate. Let us hope that he has moved on to better things.

Unnecessary qualification.  Only one paper is the Times. His was merely unforgivable pandering to the "London, England" and "Paris, France" way of speaking.  If I mean you to understand that I refer to Ontario or Texas, I will say so.  Otherwise it is quite clear, at least anywhere outside Ontario, that London refers to London.  The Times is called just that; its name isn't qualified and it is of sufficient antiquity and cultural prominence for the qualification to be redundant. That is precisely why newspapers called the Times elsewhere distinguish themselves from the original in their names. 

"The Times of London" and he might just have got away with.

Issue is I don't know any books by Haggard...

Follow the link in my last post and your issue will be resolved.

• RMweb Premium

Unnecessary qualification.  Only one paper is The Times*. His was merely unforgivable pandering to the "London, England" and "Paris, France" way of speaking.  If I mean you to understand that I refer to Ontario or Texas, I will say so.  Otherwise it is quite clear, at least anywhere outside Ontario, that London refers to London.  The Times is called just that; its name isn't qualified and it is of sufficient antiquity and cultural prominence for the qualification to be redundant. That is precisely why newspapers called the Times elsewhere distinguish themselves from the original in their names. 

"The Times of London" and he might just have got away with.

Well, I still have some sympathy for him - I hope that after this set down he got some good copy out of you. And as to "of sufficient antiquity and cultural prominence for the qualification to be redundant", there's clearly something in that, witness The Manchester Guardian's confidence that it was and remains THE The Guardian.

*Note my little adjustment to your orthography.

• Like 1

Malta, population about the equivalent of Gateshead, has over a dozen national  newspapers four of which are in English (Gareshead has one ailing weekly) .

Of the English the Times of Malta is the senior group founded in 1935 by the pro British Stricklands at the time of heightened tension between Italian and British factions.

A  frequently overheard conversation in a Valletta shop (strarring a typical looking Brit.Timesreader)

"A Times please"

"Yes certainly Madam, Malta Times or English?"

"The Times of London of course!" (this said very loudly - all other parties exchange glances with one another)

Now I've just googled the masthead of the ToM :

post-21705-0-83026400-1535533501.jpg

The bottom one surprised me

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Going back to bogie singles, Beyer Peacock, and Argentine railways, reading up on the Gorton firm I learn that in addition to the two singles Victoria and Albert built for the Great Northern's mail trains in 1885, it also turned out a batch of five, works Nos. 3156-60, for the Beunos Ayres Great Southern in 1890. I'd dearly love to see a photo of one of those!

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

It's not even managed "OK" though. It's just bad. And not even funny bad like a 50s B-movie, just plain bad.

Issue is I don't know any books by Haggard...

Never heard of "King Solomons Mines"?

Edited by TheQ

Well, I still have some sympathy for him - I hope that after this set down he got some good copy out of you. And as to "of sufficient antiquity and cultural prominence for the qualification to be redundant", there's clearly something in that, witness The Manchester Guardian's confidence that it was and remains THE The Guardian.

Several years ago 'The Glasgow Herald' became 'The Herald'.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Similarly The Kennel Club, is just that, Not the American Kennel Club, the Canadian Kennel club etc..

• RMweb Premium

Many interesting engines but not, alas, the elusive bogie singles.

Similarly The Kennel Club, is just that, Not the American Kennel Club, the Canadian Kennel club etc..

OK I get it. I'm in the dog house...

Many interesting engines but not, alas, the elusive bogie singles.

OK I get it. I'm in the dog house...

Warning: One of my increasingly frequent Ed Reardon moments.

Yes, this is a b8gger, because I had the Manchester Museum of Science & Industry's online database of BP works photographs and drawings saved as a favourite. I could easily have seen if there was indeed a picture or drawing of said bogie single.

Now, thanks I have absolutely no doubt to the same asinine Twelve-Year Olds who decided to spend untold £s re-branding the NRM the RM and, I notice MMOSI as MOSI, the link is lost, and I have not been able to discern from the Science Museum Group's collective dumbed-down, talk-down website whether, and if so where, the online archive is to be found.  

I haven't seen anything in this re-brand and re-structure that offers even the slightest improvement, but much to cause dismay, disappointment and irritation.

If I'd suspected even for an instance that some Inane Grinning Third-Sector Twerp would pull the BP online archive, I would have downloaded every image, as it is, I merely took a selection of the more British outline BP designs supplied overseas and to minor UK concerns as my interest was in possible motive power for freelance lines.

That was your Rant of the Day.

RIP Beyer Peacock's online archive.

I leave you with an Australian Ilfracombe Goods!

post-25673-0-24745700-1535538511.jpg

• Like 3

I emailed MOSI to complain bitterly about this backward step the other year, pointing out that free access to historic photos as had been provided further their mission to educate and inspire, whereas "you can buy one or two from sslprints and some are on Getty images" kind of fails in that respect. Their reply did not address elements of sarcasm and irony found elsewhere in my missive but did state that essentially they'd been made to put their website on the same platform as the rest of the science museum group, they were hoping to restore access (no progress 2 years later) and that I could order any print or drawing if I needed them. I may have pointed out the chicken and egg situation of not being able to see said photo or drawing online and therefore not knowing which one to order...

Rubbish isn't it, public records being made less available after all the hard work of scanning them has been done.

Are the Fowler works photos still available from (I think) Reading University? They were accessible from their website once, then disappeared from their search facilities. I did find an old URL which when suitably edited got me to the root directory and I then downloaded all 208 narrow gauge images (for safeguarding you understand) and 199 pages of catalogue scans, but that 'door' was closed shortly afterwards.