• RMweb Gold

This is all beginning to remind me very strongly of ........

Although, I suspect that the geology of the wash us such that, after a short time, only the very top of the spire would be visible above the ooze.

K

It may just be me but I have no idea of what you are talking about except the second implies a drowned village. Is something missing?

Don

Ah a picture has now appeared it makes sense.

Edited by Donw

In the lovely Betjeman film about the Lynn-Hunstanton railway line he correctly informed us that the normal way to pronounce the name of this village was "Snet'sham". Which is true. Although most of us locals who don't live there simply call it "Snet". I can't think of a more appropriate sounding word for it.

With apologies to any residents...

Paul

Great find that, Fenman Paul.

Required viewing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnyOnnlKWk

"Long lines of level drains and then the grey North Sea"

And then out of the flatlands into "Royal Country"

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Hunstanton is also pronounced "Hunston": I apply the same to Nunnstanton.

In Norfolk, the village of Wymondham is pronounced "wind-ham" (wind as in what blows) but the identically named village in Leicestershire just out side of Melton Mowbray is "why-mond-ham".

We are getting close to Mr Throatwarbler-Mangrove...

You're a very silly man and I'm not going to interview you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzK4kEkLzfs

If you want a small English island in an estuary, then Roa Island near Barrow is a good example - connected to the mainland by a causeway and wth a tiny railway station (called Piel)

Piel_railway_station.jpg

What a wonderful station; you've just added to my growing list of "must model" locations!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You're a very silly man and I'm not going to interview you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzK4kEkLzfs

Was that meant to be in spanish or has Youtube just decided I am Spanish, will we discover Osbourne has sold the UK to Spain to fund his retirement.

As for pronunciation of place names locals will suit themselves despite what the BBC used to think Shrewsbury was always pronounced like the animal the Shrew by locals when I lived there. There is a marvellous story of the Guard at Aspatria in Cumbria would would announce Aspatria change here by the first class carriages  Spatcher all change by the second class and Spatty get oot noo by the third class.

Don 

• Like 5

You're losing me here, chaps - where is this strange place you call "Norfolk" ? It's not on my 1908 RCH map of Maryport and Workington and it's not even on my big map of the known world,  a 1899 map of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and that goes to some godforsaken place in the far east called Kingston-upon-Hull. I'm beginning to think that you're making it all up...

• RMweb Gold

You're losing me here, chaps - where is this strange place you call "Norfolk" ? It's not on my 1908 RCH map of Maryport and Workington and it's not even on my big map of the known world,  a 1899 map of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and that goes to some godforsaken place in the far east called Kingston-upon-Hull. I'm beginning to think that you're making it all up...

Now that is strange, as I live no more than a mile from World's End Hill and it there are none of the above mentioned places between me and the end of the world.

Ambition limited.

This is the room, with Simon Dunkley's track plotting for CA reduced to scale.  Thank you, Simon, for this.  It proves it fits for one thing!

Not a lot of room left in which to fit Flitchinham, Achingham and a fiddle-yard for Everywhere Else! 

post-25673-0-54739600-1468607560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

a 1899 map of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and that goes to some godforsaken place in the far east called Kingston-upon-Hull. I'm beginning to think that you're making it all up...

You need to understand that KoH is not Godforsaken.  It is just an impression given to keep the riff-raff from Leeds and beyond out.

• RMweb Premium

I'm enjoying this trip around a part of the country that I actually know something about. I'm learning stuff too, I never knew that the row of cottages just above Babingly was Cats Bottom (and I'm a local, being born in Lynn!)

I'm wondering if you could fit Wolferingham in at the right hand turn of your room, with perhaps a fiddle yard that sticks out into the centre of the room along the top side?

Edit, looking at the room plan, could you have the fiddle as just a fan of loops along the top wall? You probably won't be running long trains, so a three way point, leading to another three way, would give you four loops and a centre through road to Wolferingham.

Andy g

Edited by uax6
  • Like 2

Wilst going through some archives I found a old map of the West Norfolk Railway that had been drawn up by one of Theo. O'Doolite's apprentices.

A lad by the name of Percy Lumbline. Ant how, its was a bit basic, so I've overlaid it onto a more modern OS Map.

Blue is GER

Yellow is M&GNJ

Green is WNR (Green/Red is proposed line)

Northern Section

post-3744-0-00234000-1468614494_thumb.jpg

Central Section

post-3744-0-21055800-1468614501_thumb.jpg

Western Section

post-3744-0-02092800-1468614513_thumb.jpg

Southern Section

post-3744-0-25436300-1468614521_thumb.jpg

All Sections - Reduced Resolution

post-3744-0-16153200-1468614913_thumb.jpg

I have a larger single map file, but it's to large (4.8M) for RMWeb. If any one wants a copy PM me your e-mail address.

• Like 7

Wilst going through some archives I found a old map of the West Norfolk Railway that had been drawn up by one of Theo. O'Doolite's apprentices.

A lad by the name of Percy Lumbline. Ant how, its was a bit basic, so I've overlaid it onto a more modern OS Map.

Blue is GER

Yellow is M&GNJ

Northern Section

attachicon.gifWNR 1.jpg

Central Section

attachicon.gifWNR 2.jpg

Western Section

attachicon.gifWNR 3.jpg

Southern Section

attachicon.gifWNR 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWNR_small.jpg

I have a larger single map file, but it's to large (4.8M) for RMWeb. If any one wants a copy PM me your e-mail address.

Wow!

This is all beginning to remind me very strongly of ........

I don't know about others, but for me, to whom the area we're talking about is part of a foreign land, the line bordering reality is becoming rather blurred.  Presumably the additional part of Norfolk came about through volcanic action taking place in The Wash, causing a split in the land mass which was filled with ash and solidified magma.  The remnant core of the volcano remains as a rocky outcrop , the seaward side of which has high cliffs which support large seabird colonies.   Yes, you've guessed it, these are the source of a ready supply for the guano industry! :declare:

Or am I getting carried away in the fantasy here?  :senile:

Now that is strange, as I live no more than a mile from World's End Hill and it there are none of the above mentioned places between me and the end of the world.

There's a pub in Edinburgh called 'The World's End' which was originally beside one of the city gates.  It was at the end of the world as far as Edinburgh folk were concerned!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Ambition limited.

This is the room, with Simon Dunkley's track plotting for CA reduced to scale.  Thank you, Simon, for this.  It proves it fits for one thing!

Not a lot of room left in which to fit Flitching, Achingham and a fiddle-yard for Everywhere Else! 

Isn't that the case for most of us! Model railways can eat space especially 0 gauge my proposed model based on Dolgelley  would probably need 60m in reality I have about 6m although I might grab a bit more by bending the loop round the curve. We all have to do the best with what we have. The consideration of where the rest of the railway adds believability to operations. You create a train and set it off on one level you know it is only going to a fiddle yard across the room but you also think of it as the 8:20 to Birchoverham  or the early morning goods to Wolfingham with a box van to be left at Cats Bottom. Just running a train because you fancy seeing it can soon pall but running a service helps to bring it all to life. I look at Peter Denny's Buckingham it seems more real than the reality but considering the building of Milton Keynes nearby perhaps given a better rail connection Buckingham could have grown big enough. The West Norfolk Railway as a busy rural affair seems just as plausible to me.

If there are parallel universes perhaps we are on the wrong one.

Don 

• Like 1

Ambition limited.

Not a lot of room left in which to fit Flitching, Achingham and a fiddle-yard for Everywhere Else! 

So, the ambition is to run the line from CA along the remaining length of the room.  At the corner (top right as one views the plan) we might start Flitching Junction on the curve.  The mainline runs to the rear, completing the turn to the straight at the bottom of the plan, terminating by the door.  This is logically where the fiddle yard must go.  It is across the doorway from CA, and, so, a single operator can conveniently turn from one to the other.

The question is, do we have room to divide the line at Flitching and to run an inner curve to a terminus (Achingham) to lie in front of the fiddle yard?

Visually, all the stations are rather close together.  With minimum platform face lengths of 3', and a minimum 3' radius, this is starting to look like an impossible squeeze.

But, I like the idea of CA services having both an on, as well as an off, stage destination and I have a prejudice against visible expanses of off-stage area; when viewing the stage, one should not be distracted by the sight of back stage. 

post-25673-0-07423800-1468652611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

Blue is GER

Yellow is M&GNJ

Northern Section

attachicon.gifWNR 1.jpg

Central Section

attachicon.gifWNR 2.jpg

Western Section

attachicon.gifWNR 3.jpg

Southern Section

attachicon.gifWNR 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWNR_small.jpg

Larger copies would be appreciated.  You and Kevin between you seem to have a far better grasp of where the WNR went than I have.

• RMweb Premium

The fiddle only needs to go at one end if you are planning to have lots of stations, I think having the fiddle in the middle could represent the junction without actually modelling it.

You could of course go a slightly different route. You could build it on a rising gradient , so that the railway corkscrews its way up you walls so that you could then model more of the main line and actually have a railway that runs from somewhere to somewhere....

Andy g

• Like 3

What about building two separate levels, and using a cassette to move between them.

attachicon.gifWNR Room.png

Brilliant, Dave.

Application would need careful thought, but a cassette would cut down on fiddle yard space. 

I have to think very carefully about height, however. 

The boards are to be mounted quite high (1) because I like a low view point and (2) because the efforts at perspective at CA depend upon not being able to view from too far above.  I was thinking of baseboard height at around 4'3".  

If I dropped that to 4' and allowed a 15" gap between boards, and 2" depth for the upper board and frame, I am pretty much dead eye level.  That would mean narrow board and difficult operation.

There is an additional difficulty in relation to the CA board; in the top left corner of my plan is a hill with a castle on top and I don't think anything could cross over the CA boards at less than 24" above rail level!

The alternative would be to make the CA sections on the higher level, at 4'3", which would mean mounting the lower level at, say, 34" from the ground.  This is starting to sound like a case for a low level fiddle yard connected to 'the surface' via a train lift.  Great fun, but beyond my carpentry and engineering skills I would guess! 

I hate to pour cold water on things but if this is your first layout I would keep it simple and possibly regard it as expendable. My advice would be to get something built and running ASAP so as to maintain enthusiasm.

My main layout Pott Row is now on version 4, the first two were built with Peco track and version 3 with SMP. Version 4 is a scenic rehash of 3 which looks very different and soon I will post photos on my thread, just not had the time recently. The four versions cover a period of around eighteen years. I started around the time our first daughter was born and she is hopefully off to university this year! I built a layout using set track in our loft before that on terrible base boards, it was soon dismantled but I learnt loads about how not to do things.

I have also built a number of micro layouts during this time to test out new ideas, Rickett Street is the most recent and I hope to start work on further developing that layout soon. Upbech St Mary was a box file layout featured in the Modeller around 2011 and Leyton Street dates from around 2003 with boards built of balsa.

This might seem like a lot of layouts but I've learnt loads from each one and recycled as much as possible. The signal box on Pott Row was built for my very first layout over twenty years ago and this layout has taken around eight years to get to its current unfinished state.

Sorry teaching habits coming through here!

• Like 1