• RMweb Gold

Ah the lesser known Erstwhile Hound - I believe this was the inspiration behind the Hound of the Baskervilles. Wasn’t there a mention in Conan Doyle’s journal about a visit to see his relations the Erstwhiles - during which the Hound put in an appearance?

• Like 1

The other point is that it is a double-acting engine, and that the ideal that I postulated is only ideal with force in one direction. With force in the opposite direction, crank at 85 degrees, it would seem right to have con rod and piston rod at 90 degrees. Since the piston rod can’t be at both 95 and 90’degrees, put it half way between the two at 92.5 degrees, which suggests cylinders inclined 2.5 degrees from the horizontal, which I think was common.

In practice, I think that some French locos might have downward inclined cylinders, but that all sorts of clearance issues actually dictated various angles from zero to about 7 degrees from the horizontal, especially on three and four cylinder locos. I know that the crank angles on Gresley three cylinder locos were not evenly spread at 120 degrees, so as to catch the forces from inclined inside cylinders.

Have I got all this right??

I think for the practical limits of good design one need look no further than the Riddles 9F, where all the compromises of weight, rotational forces, skew effects, metallurgy, cost, pressure effects, harmonics, and outright good design were demonstrated.

The speed at which rods and motion rotated on a 9F at say 85mph were comparable to the fastest A4s, Merchant Navys Kings and Duchesses, were they not?   Also our NZR 4-8-4s and 4-8-2s which could and did reach a bit over 75mph with 4' 6" drivers and Walschaert's or Baker valve gear.

In the other hand, I believe the Midland had it all sorted by 1880.

post-7929-0-88066200-1535751885_thumb.jpg

My apologies for being a bit slow to react to the thread here, we have a thing called days and nights here.  :)

And being one who values ORIGINAL THOUGHT at tuppence ha'penny 

here is another version with a competent engine, the crew breathing through oiled rags, exhaust erupting after throttle opened, sanders on, enough to brig tears to the eyes of a grown man...

post-7929-0-47412500-1535748577_thumb.jpg

I was going to colour the first pic blue and call it a GER Holden ....   the car I drive is a Australian GM Holden Calais, a resource-friendly LS1 Chev V8  and a smiling driver who resembles me, but it's probably been photoshopped so I'd pay no attention.

post-7929-0-22752300-1535748790.jpg

Back to the Hounds of the Baskervilles.  Apologies to all and sundry.    I do like steam. 

typo edit 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

Nice colourisation but I should point out that the horsebox, despite its grimy and unwashed condition, should be red.

Oh dear.  Not a horsebox from another railway then?    :)

edit I will fix it.

edit 2.  done   cheers

Edited by robmcg

....The speed at which rods and motion rotated on a 9F at say 85mph were comparable to the fastest A4s, Merchant Navys Kings and Duchesses, were they not? Also our NZR 4-8-4s and 4-8-2s which could and did reach a bit over 75mph with 4' 6" drivers and Walschaert's or Baker valve gear.

In the other hand, I believe the Midland had it all sorted by 1880.

attachicon.gifmidand_2-4-0_tunnel_3abcde_r1200.jpg

My apologies for being a bit slow to react to the thread here, we have a thing called days and nights here. :)

And being one who values ORIGINAL THOUGHT at tuppence ha'penny here is another version with a competent engine, the crew breathing through oiled rags, exhaust erupting after throttle opened, sanders on, enough to brig tears to the eyes of a grown man...

attachicon.gif4707_47XX_2_tunnel_3abcde_r1200.jpg

I was going to colour the first pic blue and call it a GER Holden .... the car I drive is a Australian GM Holden Calais, a resource-friendly LS1 Chev V8 and a smiling driver who resembles me, but it's probably been photoshopped so I'd pay no attention.

=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif]VX_Rob_2_r1450_crop_r650.jpg

Back to the Hounds of the Baskervilles. Apologies to all and sundry. I do like steam.

Do we assume the 2-8-0 to be emerging on the up road out of the Severn tunnel with two barely conscious enginemen aboard?

As you suggest, the blue Holden is obviously doing a Decapod in defiantly facing down any ideas of Kiwis going electric!  You'll be banning cats as pets next.... :jester:

Happy to say we had an early morning Indexing confab the Chief General Manager and I; the Black Dog seems to have wandered off back on the A 66 once more up towards Stainmore ...

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 2

Do we assume the 2-8-0 to be emerging on the up road out of the Severn tunnel with two barely conscious enginemenn aboard and the blue Holden doing a Decapod in defiantly facing down going electric.

Sounds about right, apart from the 2-8-0 (A 28xx?  wheels look too small for a 47xx) apparently running wrong road....

Do we assume the 2-8-0 to be emerging on the up road out of the Severn tunnel with two barely conscious enginemen aboard?

As you suggest, the blue Holden is obviously doing a Decapod in defiantly facing down any ideas of Kiwis going electric!  You'll be banning cats as pets next.... :jester:

Happy to say we had an early morning Indexing confab the Chief General Manager and I; the Black Dog seems to have wandered off back on the A 66 once more up towards Stainmore ...

dh

There is a grey cat here who takes exception to your remarks, and has threatened to write your name down in the big book of bad luck.   Gareth Morgan, our erstwhile proponent of a feline-ban, failed rather completely in the General Election, but he likes to think laterally. 

As to steam trains in tunnels, I'm not sure if 47XXs were particularly tested by the Severn Tunnel,  but my own experiences on such as A class 4-6-2s in 1967 were definitely of the suffocating kind, banking on a 40-wagon goods train on 1-in-45 over the Reefton Saddle at little over walking pace, another A at the lead. We all got on the floor and the driver just left the engine to it. The driver may have stayed in his seat, the only light was a faint flicker from the cab light.  

Shades of starting a LNER V2 in Holloway with 20 total and feeling the tunnel wall to see if you were moving....

but is this not off-thread by some margin?  I would never encourage such.  Not in a million years.   

What is this thing called 'indexing'?   Is it Dutch? 

Back to Castle Aching, please.   A blue 2-4-0 would be nice....    

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's Black Shuck!!!! a tale from Norfolk, on which the hound of the Baskerville was vaguely based on, Conan Doyle probably heard it when he stayed in Happisburgh.

He's after you through the mists across the marshes...

Our cat very relieved to hear some good news about cat pogroms in NZ.

As for indexing - maybe it could be Catholic Spanish Netherlands in origin - it mostly goes on late into your day times.

Go to page 1 and see what the CGM is trying to commission ( a bit like London's Crossrail it is proving difficult to sort the software).

I'm merely the shadowy dogsbody.

More pre-grouping images please, I love it.

dh

• RMweb Gold

Headed off towards Stainmore myself today, well, Staindrop really. A layout of that name on show at Telford Guildex, very nice. Early LNER setting, with strong pregroup overtones;

http://www.bwwmrc.co.uk/exhibitions/StJohn14Oct/staindrop/index.shtml

And very nice it was too.

A stand out layout of some quality, I particularly liked the single wheeled driver tank engine.

I thought I had taken a picture, but sadly not.

It's Black Shuck!!!! a tale from Norfolk, on which the hound of the Baskerville was vaguely based on, Conan Doyle probably heard it when he stayed in Happisburgh.

I believe this performance of Black Shuck is worth hearing:-

It keeps me almost sane whilst gluing clump foliage onto copper wire branches and tree trunks.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Slightly more seriously, since both blue engines and singles have been mentioned recently, we omitted mention of the two earlier classes of Great Eastern bogie single. There's Massey Bromley's outside-cylinder 245 Class - 20 engines built 1879-81:

post-29416-0-92591600-1535836864.jpg

... looking like an anorexic Stirling single; and also S.W. Johnson's two rebuilt in 1872-3 from Sinclair's W Class outside-cylinder 2-2-2 which in turn looks like the baby brother of a Connor 2-2-2 of the Caledonian:

post-29416-0-84684000-1535837185.jpg

Seem to have slipped from blue to Stroudley's improved engine green there! Johnson and Stroudley, along with Drummond, were at Cowlairs together in the 1860s , as I've mentioned before. This seems to have been Johnson's only flirtation with the famous Highland/Brighton livery, though I do wonder if he had it in mind when he started specifying engines for the M&GN? I've never seen the "golden gorse" equated to IEG; equally, was the choice of livery down to Johnson or William Marriott?

I picked up the Charles Fryer book in a second-hand bookshop while on holiday. "Single Wheeler Locomotives" said Mrs Compound "Wouldn't they fall over?"

... back to the Lartigue monorail.

• Like 10

..... said Mrs Compound "Wouldn't they fall over?"

Only if it was George Wyllie's 0-1-0 as depicted in his sculpture on Falkirk High station! (on my phone, so can't post a link to the photo of it)

Jim

George Wyllie produced a number of railway sculptures.  Falkirks uniwheeler wasn't the only one he devised!

post-21933-0-89046500-1535870154.jpg

Looking at the "thing" the 0-1-0 is running on, its not so much a section ot rail, but more something purloined off the Irn-Bru production line...

Picture from:  http://www.whysman.org.uk/strawloco/trains.htm

While looking up the sculpture, I came across an even more terrifying mode of uniwheeled transport...

post-21933-0-11455700-1535870223.jpg

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6

I have a Black Shuck planned for the KLR, now you mention it. I intend for the name to be used on a 5MT.

George Wyllie produced a number of railway sculptures. Falkirks uniwheeler wasn't the only one he devised!

falkirk3.jpg

Looking at the "thing" the 0-1-0 is running on, its not so much a section ot rail, but more something purloined off the Irn-Bru production line...

Picture from: http://www.whysman.org.uk/strawloco/trains.htm

While looking up the sculpture, I came across an even more terrifying mode of uniwheeled transport...

MotorUnicycle.jpg

Oh God, not the insanity that is the monobike...