Leather gaiters.

I don't think they've made an appearance yet, but they were standard kit for the well-dressed rural metty. I think they were a form of PPE, worn when using a scythe, or a swop and hook.

My grandfather used to wear them, as did another professional gardener, who lived a few doors from us, and both would cycle while wearing them, which looked very odd.

K

PS - anything involving grass or crops, trouser-legs tied at the bottom with string, if not wearing gaiters, to prevent snake bites.

post-26817-0-07071100-1476775295_thumb.png

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My scythe injuries come from cutting my hand when sharpening it, rather than trying to chop my legs off :).

You too....

String round the trouser legs is more to stop horse flies and other biting insects, going up hill (says he with a couple of recent bites)  snakes are a bit too slow to climb up and tend to run slither away...

You too....

String round the trouser legs is more to stop horse flies and other biting insects, going up hill (says he with a couple of recent bites)  snakes are a bit too slow to climb up and tend to run slither away...

Horse fly bites are things to be avoided, in my experience.

I'm sure the horse fly thing is right, but the area where I grew up is alive with adders, and, if surprised, they strike, rather than depart, so I think snake precaution too.

Two more random shots of Edwardian country people, neither very high quality, because they are copies of copies.

First up is my paternal grandfather, in tricorn hat, with his elder brother, in 1909.

Second is one that ought to be titled This Happy Breed. This family kept vegetable gardens, and had a fearsome reputation, which was intact even when I was at school - one of their descendants was the toughest boy for miles around, and when we started together in "infants" he seemed to be about ten years old and five feet tall!

post-26817-0-74967400-1476782394_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-19967100-1476782415_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Where can I get me one of those!!!! servants I mean!!

I think the point that you are all missing is that each of the ladies in the traces has a set of wheels and a small 2-stroke engine installed beneath her skirts.  There are petrol filler caps leading to tanks in the bustles and oil was stored in the hats.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I think the point that you are all missing is that each of the ladies in the traces has a set of wheels and a small 2-stroke engine installed beneath her skirts.  There are petrol filler caps leading to tanks in the bustles and oil was stored in the hats.

It would be easier to produce a working model than getting horses legs to move!

• Like 1

It would be easier to produce a working model than getting horses legs to move!

Funnily enough, apropos the horse tram topic, the thought had crossed my mind!

I fear that the whip may be more than just a useful accessory.

If you look closely, you will see that it connects to the rear lady just below the neck line.  It is routed thence to the engine, thus may the ladies achieve acceleration!

• RMweb Gold

Superb pictures, thank you.

The Barbican was a fascinating part of Plymouth.  Until the Luftwaffe arrived, that is.

Oddly the Barbican had (and still has) more surviving buildings representative of 'old Plymouth' than almost anywhere else in the city as it suffered relatively little bomb damage and was not involved in the major fires which destroyed the city centre.  Big difference nowadays is that the old fish market has become a tourist oriented place while many buildings are tarted up as part of making the area a tourist centre.

• Like 1

Where can I get me one of those!!!! servants I mean!!

My 6 year old granddaughter has one, who carries her schoolbag to and from school for her!  He's called a grandfather!   :fool:

I wouldn't like to show her that photo.   :no:   It might give her ideas!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

In

My 6 year old granddaughter has one, who carries her schoolbag to and from school for her!  He's called a grandfather!   :fool:

I wouldn't like to show her that photo.   :no:   It might give her ideas!

Jim

In addition to the Memsahib, whose benign tyranny has probably been the saving of me, I seem to be in thrall to 2 school-age children and 3 Labradors! 

• Like 2

Sounds like she will make a formidable wife at some point in the future...

Indeed.  I already pity her future boyfriends.  They won't stand a chance.

Do I take it that the Memsahib no longer has access to your RMweb account, or has decided to live a genuine Edwardian life without such things as the internet?

The threat is ever present, but no further incursions have been identified.

Richard Mountford Deeley

Or just a life without model railways.

But with horses

• Like 3

Random contribution, inspired by a very good conversion to a NE loco, which I saw in a 1970 RM that I was reading yesterday evening.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-3-LOCOMOTIVE-VAPEUR-030-BOURBONNAIS-RIVAROSSI-BO-1344-train-electrique-HO-/232100644683?hash=item360a46c74b:g:zVgAAOSwmfhX7~NZ

Could one of these become CA's coal engine?

K

Random contribution, inspired by a very good conversion to a NE loco, which I saw in a 1970 RM that I was reading yesterday evening.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-3-LOCOMOTIVE-VAPEUR-030-BOURBONNAIS-RIVAROSSI-BO-1344-train-electrique-HO-/232100644683?hash=item360a46c74b:g:zVgAAOSwmfhX7~NZ

Could one of these become CA's coal engine?

K

Yes, but not at that price!

Still, someone is viewing the house tomorrow.  Once that's off the books, all things are possible.

Wish us luck.

Anyway, could be something like this?

post-25673-0-47028600-1477413067.jpg

post-25673-0-54295600-1477413167.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I thought that the price was a bit steep, but overall the chassis at least has a good wheelbase, those close rear wheels are very typical of the pre-grouping era.

I wonder how much chopping would have to be done to the body to make it more English, although of course, it could well be a cancelled overseas order, which the company has bought cheaply. (the HR bought some tanks that were supposed to go to south America, and modified them with some standard UK fittings).

So get rid of the chimney and put a proper one on it, and remove that box thing in the middle of the boiler, and change the whistle and cab to have a shorter roof and deeper cut out. Remove the headlamps. And make the tender like the one in the picture.

Andy G