• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That is a really ambiguous sentence.

It made sense to me. I read it as the population of kent has a less varied genetic mix than other counties.  Of course it doesn't say whether the  variance between East and West Kent was studied. So it could be that West kent was largely Saxon origin and East Kent largely Jute. 

My sister is into geneology and all that and wanted some test done. One cold only be done through the male line so she sent my DNA off. It showed that on balance I had more Saxon origin forebears than Viking ones but the were some real odd ones in the mix. A bit of Greek or Turkish if I remember aright.

Don

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

Going back to Stratford (E15) is that rather elegant building as the background to yesterday's beard's locos actually Stratford Works?

Funny, I was once taken round in the late 1940s  and I'm ashamed to admit I  only can recall an untidy sprawl N of the station.

As for Ultramarine engines at CA - are there not at least a couple of  NW Norfolk stations (extant by page 1002): one  where the GE and WNR can be seen co-habiting, the other where yellow M&GN and even Midland liveried engines heading through excursions pass by en rout to Melton Constabule?

So why not simply indulge as opportunities present themselves ?

How about:

- A a portion of "the Leicester", Midland coaches brought onto the WNR by either a MGNR 4-4-0 or a Midland 2-4-0?

- An ex-King's Cross service handled by a GNR 2-2-2 and one ex-Boston with a 4-2-2?

- Ex-Liverpool Street with a T19 or D27?

- Ex-York with a GER 4-2-2?

-  MGN service? 

- GER off the Lynn & Hunstanton and one off the West Norfolk Extension via the L&H?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Donw said:

It made sense to me. I read it as the population of kent has a less varied genetic mix than other counties.  Of course it doesn't say whether the  variance between East and West Kent was studied. So it could be that West kent was largely Saxon origin and East Kent largely Jute. 

My sister is into geneology and all that and wanted some test done. One cold only be done through the male line so she sent my DNA off. It showed that on balance I had more Saxon origin forebears than Viking ones but the were some real odd ones in the mix. A bit of Greek or Turkish if I remember aright.

Don

Somewhere around the year 520 the distinction between Jutish and Saxon areas of settlement might have had some validity but surely not 1,500 years later? I did read that most of the population of Europe is descended from Charlemagne (fl. 800). 

10 minutes ago, Donw said:

It made sense to me. I read it as the population of kent has a less varied genetic mix than other counties.

That's one reading of it. Another reading is that people in Kent are more likely to be related to other people in the same country than to people in other counties. Which has a different meaning, and is probably true of people in all counties.

On balance, I think its meant to mean what you say, in which case doubt could have been avoided by saying what you say in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Donw said:

A bit of Greek or Turkish if I remember aright.

Don

Anatolian, (Asia Minor) quite possibly, the Roman Army and their hangers on were quite cosmopolitan and also there wasn't a lot of distinction between Greece and western Asia Minor until the Selcuk Turks arrived around the mid 11th Century followed by those that became Ottomans about 200 years later.  The latter were Turkish as opposed to the then residents of what became known as Turkey.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

50 minutes ago, Donw said:

Don

There is a theory that Thanet was once a Phoenician settlement - the name Tanet is the principal god of that region

https://www.caitlingreen.org/2015/04/thanet-tanit-and-the-phoenicians.html

Sticking with Holden, here are two of his on the Cromer Express; T19 No, 735 double-heading with a Claud, sometime c.1900 - 1907.

519809007_GERCromerExpressT19735Claud-Copy.jpg.6472da803360a6119db3e43c59e25c4d.jpg

Here is an earlier Cigarette Card 'artist's impression' when the P43 had charge, before the turn of the Century when Clauds displaced them and they went to work the Joint Line. 

1894047615_GERP43inCrimerExpress.jpg.a0827a66922a2dacaaf8fbc931e45a57.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

-  An E22 0-6-0T for local turns,

1251180345_GERE22No252.jpg.0759942c153dbec1e29a681a1fce0142.jpg

That's actually a B32 (245-254), and not an E22 (150-159). The tanks are lower and wider, and the balance weights are crescent shaped rather than filling spaces between spokes.

And yes, they do look different because of it. The E22s are in my mind much better proportioned, even if it is admittedly rather subtle.

spacer.png

(GERS photo, linked image from their website.)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Sticking with Holden, here are two of his on the Cromer Express; T19 No, 735 double-heading with a Claud, sometime c.1900 - 1907.

There, you see, it's not just red engines that are better in pairs!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

That was was in his salad days then?

Yes, and he bought all the ingredients at Coles.

(Sorry folks, Australian in-joke there).

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

519809007_GERCromerExpressT19735Claud-Copy.jpg.6472da803360a6119db3e43c59e25c4d.jpg

Here is an earlier Cigarette Card 'artist's impression' when the P43 had charge, before the turn of the Century when Clauds displaced them and they went to work the Joint Line. 

1894047615_GERP43inCrimerExpress.jpg.a0827a66922a2dacaaf8fbc931e45a57.jpg

What wonderful morning cheer up pictures for me to discover on my return to Castle Aching.  Thank you so much for posting those James.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Regularity said:

That's actually a B32 (245-254), and not an E22 (150-159). The tanks are lower and wider, and the balance weights are crescent shaped rather than filling spaces between spokes.

And yes, they do look different because of it. The E22s are in my mind much better proportioned, even if it is admittedly rather subtle.

spacer.png

(GERS photo, linked image from their website.)

Yes, I'm using the initial order numbers as class designations, not attempting to distinguish between individual lots. 

This is inevitable with those GER locos where there are no class designations as such, unless you want me to treat each lot as as separate class, which is generally not done and would be confusing and misleading.  I tend to think in terms of classes and series within them when trying to distinguish between detail differences between builds. 

Another good example would be the Clauds, where the original order number only referred to the round-tip firebox locos, those built from 1903 being belpaires.

So, go and smack yourself for being unnecessarily pedantic!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 07/04/2020 at 21:52, Compound2632 said:

Johnson's GER 134 Class 0-4-4Ts were the first side tanks of this wheel arrangement. All previous examples, including, for example, Kirtley's 690 and 780 Classes on the Midland were back or well tanks.

Putting side tanks on 0-4-4T's was definitely retrograde move - I think the 0-4-4WT is a thing of beauty in all its forms.

4 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Putting side tanks on 0-4-4T's was definitely retrograde move - I think the 0-4-4WT is a thing of beauty in all its forms.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?!?

911615627_MCR0-4-4WT.jpg.4cae09a12e0660677e62e80d623c7017.jpg

I am happy to take my 0-4-4s with side tanks.

post-25673-0-06486500-1547901271.jpg.4f83a34bab561c8ae54952025e4377a2.jpg

Yet, as a devotee of the BTP, you will certainly find me in agreement with the second part of your sentence.

272934209_IMG_0043-Copy.JPG.71a99747158b96086e328c6516ad9309.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

So, go and smack yourself for being unnecessarily pedantic!

To be vulgar for a moment, they're all J65s aren't they? But even to the untutored eye (Stratford-wise) the difference is evident: the top of the tanks on the E22 are on the level of the bottom of the cab cut out and bunker, a more harmonious arrangement than lower as on the B32 - so why this retrograde change? I can't see any difference in water capacity listed - 650 gal.

Aesthetically, for this style with cab side-sheets, continuous with tank and bunker sides, tank and bunker tops in line with the bottom of the cab cut out is the most pleasing arrangement for small locomotives - think of the Worsdells' Classes A, E, and E1 or Drummond's G6 - whereas for larger engines, tank and bunker top above the line is stylish - the Worsdells' Classes B, N, O - Drummond commited a faux pas with the M7 by having the bunker top lower than the tank top. Tank top below the bottom of the cut-out just looks weedy and toy-like.

37 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Vide supra. But basically, more water - goes further. Possibly not an issue in north-west Cumberland?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2