1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Naturism seems to have been invented (or possibly codified) after the CA date-line, by a German who published a book advocating it in 1906.

Which is probably a mercy.

I believe there are somewhat earlier references to individuals practising naturism in a garden eastwards in eden...

Edited by brack
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I couldn't possibly comment 

751_SECR_terrier_Image1abcde_r1800.jpg.a2a4988a0383312ab6e511c4276a07a6.jpg.1d2632181a80341c1cdfe1137d9c8d74.jpg

I might point out, though, that the Rails-Dapol version of No.751 should be with us soon.

Rails-Dapol pre-production first livery sample (a number of changes have since been made): 

2046972279_IMG_0591-Copy.JPG.01b0f787561577d0c208310c346a7b8d.JPG

ah well, at least Hornby got the number of wheels right. 

Thankyou.  Back to Churchward Stars and Gresley vs Thompson arguments.... it's a quieter pursuit, there are fewer issues.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

This WNR poster is lovely, I especially approve of the Rupert Bear wardrobe thief sat next to the lady on the bench... I'd wear that. 

You'd wear the bench? Well I never.....

Andy G

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Annie said:

WNR Birchoverham Next The Sea 3 - Reduced.jpg

Just the perfect poster to display at Moxbury on my GER Norfolk layout.

I'm not so sure, the way he's holding his shin, I think the young lady has already given him a kicking.  Any more unwanted improprieties and that parasol will come into action...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm not so sure, the way he's holding his shin, I think the young lady has already given him a kicking.  Any more unwanted improprieties and that parasol will come into action...

By the smirk and the glint in her eye, I do believe you're right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

And Rupert asked if

Maybe she

Could kiss him better

On the knee.

That's it exactly !

The area served by the WNR is actually Rupert Bearland.  It always puzzled me as a kid how just one small corner of our island could contain all the settings for Rupert and his pals' adventures.

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4
  • Funny 4

29 minutes ago, runs as required said:

The area served by the WNR is actually Rupert Bearland.

Haunted by journalists of the Daily Express, that record of high family values (as noted by John Cooper Clarke*), spying on the daily activities of Rupert and his chums.....

* I'm not sure this link is appropriate for the sensibilities of the Parish Council.  In the interests of free information I'll append it, but if it's too coarse, It shall be removed. 

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

On matters of good taste, and given my recent blatant error in recklessly putting my toe in the water with regard to small steam engines like the SECR  Terrier, may I ask please how I might judge this post-WW2 exposition of good colour sense?

I am not sure but cannot recall ever having seen something so awful,   and that's AFTER I de-saturated the colour by about 50%.  Can't blame nationalisation either... OTOH Edwardians may have thought the colour rather merry.

Guidance required. Pic modified from Rais ad.

60028_A4_R3701.IMG_9470abc.jpg.a713f539f6eff4991b6b1d975ec2e522.jpg

Are you asking whether we like the colour (I don't, not with that lining anyway), or whether it is an accurate rendition of the real thing (a colour about which there is considerable debate, but I thought it was more saturated than that)?

Regarding the Terrier: 

Can you tell at a glance that its a Terrier? Yes.

Does it scale-out correctly? Yes, except where 00 makes that impossible (the splashers are too wide, for instance), or where going to truly scale sections would make it ridiculously fragile.

Can you tell at a glance that its one that was sold to the SECR? Yes, and the livery application is stunningly good.

Can a Terrier-o-phile like me spot any obvious (and avoidable) errors without a photo of that very particular loco at hand? Yes, but only one: the buffer-beam to buffer relationship is all wrong.

Does it run sweetly, and haul a load that the real thing could haul? No idea, everyone is so obsessed with form that they forget function.

Does the price seem fair? Yes.

Is it as pretty as a picture? Yes, a Terrier is possibly the most artistically designed steam loco ever.

Most of the criticism of that particular product is conditioned by the fact that an even better looking, nobody talks about running) one is just around the corner; if there wasn't, people would be content (if not deliriously happy) with what Hornby have made.

Its like noticing the slightly fat ankles on a pretty girl the moment her even better-looking friend arrives (that is quite a sexist analogy, isn't it?).

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Are you asking whether we like the colour (I don't, not with that lining anyway), or whether it is an accurate rendition of the real thing (a colour about which there is considerable debate, but I thought it was more saturated than that)?

Regarding the Terrier: 

Does it scale-out correctly? Yes, except where 00 makes that impossible (the splashers are too wide, for instance), or where going to truly scale sections would make it ridiculously fragile.

Can you tell at a glance that its one that was sold to the SECR? Yes, and the livery application is stunningly good.

Can a Terrier-o-phile like me spot any obvious (and avoidable) errors without a photo of that very particular loco at hand? Yes, but only one: the buffer-beam to buffer relationship is all wrong.

Does it run sweetly, and haul a load that the real thing could haul? No idea, everyone is so obsessed with form that they forget function.

Is it as pretty as a picture? Yes, a Terrier is possibly the most artistically designed steam loco ever.

Most of the criticism of that particular product is conditioned by the fact that an even better looking, nobody talks about running) one is just around the corner; if there wasn't, people would be content (if not deliriously happy) with what Hornby have made.

Its like noticing the slightly fat ankles on a pretty girl the moment her even better-looking friend arrives (that is quite a sexist analogy, isn't it?).

Thank you for saying what I was going to say!

That said, I think the Rails A1 has a noticeably better front end, but I'm quite happy with my Hornby A1x. As you say, were it not for another model being developed perhaps people wouldn't have pulled the Hornby one to shreds, or might  be happier to work with it. That our host is aligned with Rails is fine, but better though the latter undoubtedly looks I'll be waiting until it's released before deciding whether it's worth selling stuff to fund it.

For the record, Kevin, the Hornby one is a passable runner. It's not absolutely fantastic, but it works well enough for my purposes. The Rails one promises to be better in this regard, and thankfully they're not going with a coreless motor, which DJM turned me against. (It wouldn't surprise me if the Bachmann 009 Baldwin had one either...).

For the benefit of all concerned -

IMG_20200427_235320.jpg.161e701add1679f06aad016d40b4f166.jpg

Hornby.

4s-010-003d.jpg.5f9eaa0af757a56f987206cbfeb12d1c.jpg

Rails.

Actually, the Hornby A1 looks better than I remember it. The Rails one does have the edge, I think, but it depends if one considers it to have enough of an edge to warrant the additional expenditure. At a glance, the most noticeable differences are the dome, front sandbox and various differences in the chassis area. I also think the Rails one wins on livery application, myself, though I'm not wholly convinced about the shade of green (which is subjective anyway). At a second glance I notice over differences, but only when looking for them.

r3783.IMG_9282.jpg.5f592e17e57ad1ae901f20276ddab49d.jpg

Hornby .

4s-010-004d.jpg.280ab6387003a8424ec98408342530ec.jpg

Rails.

Again, much the same as before - the Rails one wins but I'm not sure if it wins by £30. If it runs much better then I would possibly be inclined to sell a few things to get one. I bought the Hornby one because I could afford it at the time and because my layout warrants one and, had it been completed, had a potential show booking that year. 

I just felt like offering a little bit of balance, having no connection to either Hornby or Rails (other than as a customer) unlike some on these boards.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Believe me the situation with Terriers for the Trainz simulator is much worse with some very old models in various liveries and formats (long bunker, A1X & etc) that bristle with faults, - the worst of which is the cab roof.  The Terrier model I run is very good and was only briefly available before being withdrawn by its maker never to be seen again so I count myself fortunate to have it at all.  I'm sure Trainz folk would love to have a digital Terrier that looks like the Hornby one (though I do agree the Rails one is lovely) since what we have available now is truly terrible.

That A4 just looks wrong, the colour is awful.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hroth said:

Haunted by journalists of the Daily Express, that record of high family values (as noted by John Cooper Clarke*), spying on the daily activities of Rupert and his chums.....

* I'm not sure this link is appropriate for the sensibilities of the Parish Council.  In the interests of free information I'll append it, but if it's too coarse, It shall be removed. 

i'd like to boast (afore its too late on this rapid pre-grouping HST) about being with my forever impoverished Newcastle actor/entertainer son (and his young son), strolling past a tall building - when an unmistakeable voice rings out from a high window

"Nathen Dan, how yer doin?"

"How does JCC know you?" I asked after the brief exchange.

"I used to do the sound for him when he came to the Riverside"

"But it must over 20 years ago since that closed down"

"Yer, it will be"

I once again realised how little I know about my kids

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Regarding the Terrier: 

I was asked by Rails to look at Terriers and things once learnt cannot be unlearnt, things once seen cannot be unseen.  And Rob did ask (!)

The Hornby model is a good model, particularly for its price.  It's a solid mid-range option.

The Rails-Dapol one is not perfect - it did not 100% shed the legacy of the Dapol 7mm model - but it is, I would suggest, objectively significantly better in three ways:

- Accuracy.  The Hornby model has a number of mistakes that seem to result from ignorance of the loco's construction and, in some cases, from aping inappropriate preserved features, while other inaccuracies seem to result from a more limited tooling suite than Dapol's. Dapol avoids such mistakes on the A1 and is more capable of matching particular locomotive identities. 

- Performance. I stick my neck out here, it's anticipated performance, but we know that Hornby's 3-pole motor is hardly outstanding.  We know that Dapol's has a 5-pole motor and that its B4 is an excellent runner.

- Refinement,  This overlaps with accuracy; some features are simply closer to scale on the Rails model.  To me, this is the hardest aspect to pin down, but the most decisive. The latest shots of 643 could have fooled me that the picture was of a 7mm model.  Put the two together, as Jenny Kirk did with a production Hornby K&ESR version and a Rails K&ESR sample, and everything just looks finer on the Rails version; more like the real thing made smaller, and less like a toy.     

DCC folks have a number of additional advantages with the Rails version, including sound.

Whether it is worth the extra £30 for a standard version is a very subjective judgment.

One of the problems that the Hornby model has, for me, is that some of the inaccuracies that I would struggle to live with could not be corrected without destroying the livery application in places.  I have given the Hornby model serious thought, as WNR is to have a Terrier (No.10) and would need to be repainted anyway. I have returned to this thought several times - not least because the Hornby model might better suit my unrefined modelling standards (!) -  but still I conclude that, while the Hornby model could be used for the conversion, the Rails model would still make a better starting point.

Incidentally, neither Hornby nor Rails have the correct pattern Westinghouse fittings for the A1s.   Good drawings are found in Binnie, and I hope to tempt Guy Rixon to produce one on Shapeways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/04/2020 at 10:04, Edwardian said:

The item I seized upon, however, and straightway ordered, is luggage brake No.16, which is the most needful item so far as I was concerned. 

454606417_GERWUNo_16.jpg.473ac596e020942d53c4fc0b375da027.jpg

I am a little concerned at the description of the, to me unknown, "Gray [sic] PA12" material, which is described as "nylon 12 material with a matte finish and slightly grainy feel" [emphasis added].  Hmm.  So, I'll take a punt with the much-desired van no.16 and see what the finish is like before committing to anything further.

Oh dear.

Next time I'll just set fire to a £50 note.  Quicker and less hassle.

The "Gray [sic] PA12" material is quite nasty.  The mottled colouring makes it hard to tell how much of what we see is unwanted surface texture.  I'll dust some primer over it and post the results.

In the meantime, out of the box ...

IMG_8810.JPG.a4be7c7f510c10140d78744704255b5b.JPG

IMG_8814.JPG.48ec66dec90bfe5efbb8370e6509aa57.JPG

The design is not bad.  All the brake and underframe detail is done for you, and having a floor but no roof is to be preferred to the other supplier's way of it. 

IMG_8812.JPG.9eeef90304f74487753bf2fab38481dd.JPG

That said, as has been pointed out, the treatment of the panelling is (i) quite inaccurate for the GER prototype and (ii) unprototypical/prototype illiterate in places.

IMG_8816.JPG.7f1a526127458447c2702edf36fc2c6c.JPG

It will take quite a bit of work to get right.  My impression of the quality of the print is such that I suspect that a satisfactory model is unlikely and that the work required to correct the designer's mistakes would not be worthwhile.  

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Possibly the biggest fault with both of them is they are running on an incorrect gauge ( well apart from the fact there is an electric motor in what should be a boiler)  and with thicker wheels and flanges (shades of those thick ankles Nearholmer mentioned). Not to mention odd iron mongery at the ends. So it becomes a matter of choice what compromises you are willingto accept.

Personally I can live with odd detail errors because ignorance being bliss I dont spot them.  I probably notice the lack of motionbetween the wheels much more. Yes it is sad when getting the detils right would note have been that difficult but it is a much better model than we had for many years of my modelling life. So if I was modelling the SECR in 00 would I buy one  YES.

Don

• Agree 1