2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Young Edwardians  at Bondi Beach  not being socially distant, a mistake which closed the beach a mere 120 years later. 

Swimwear had obviously not been invented yet, other than by a couple of youngsters near the centre of the picture  wearing speedos - obviously time travellers or a young Tony Abbott.

1395541804_Bondi_Beach_1900.jpg.172a238dfa614bee61d3e7a3d934790b.jpg

One of them doesn't seem to be wearing anything. :rolleyes:

Not a budgie smuggler in sight.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

... Most remarkable, though I think fairly well-know, are Otto Pfenninger's colour pictures of Brighton in 1906:

681524673_OttoPfenningerBrighton190604.jpg.f734e139f557f75f14851f895752aef2.jpg

826080504_OttoPfenningerBrighton190603.jpg.007305ead4edf192f37736f7ec766aea.jpg203294809_OttoPfenningerBrightonin1906.jpg.793b783e775ee4005144b4484d2a0058.jpg

Finally, nudity!

Otto Pfenninger Brighton 1906, 02.jpg

Autochromes are wonderful things, a reminder that the world was in colour even then....

But beware, they're very fattening as the colour filter is composed of dyed potato starch grains!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autochrome_Lumi%C3%A8re

According to Wikipedia Autochrome wasn't marketed until 1907 so the Pfenninger images were '07 at the earliest, or if they were '06, he was taking test shots for the Lumière brothers to ensure that the technology travelled well.

Notice that the Americans were into the "color pinup" possibilities of the medium at an early stage...

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I googled "Happy Edwardians" - this was the first thing to come up. I like the extended caption, too.

"Three shies for a penny!"

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

These year groups will only be in school Mon-Thur, with Fridays for staff to prepare and support year 2 and year 5 online learning - which will be less than it has been; likewise those year 1 and 6 pupils whose parents decide against sending them in will receive no more than pointers to appropriate online resources. As Julian says, staff cannot be expected to move from doing one full-time job to three. For EYFS (reception in old money), it is deemed that they would not be able to cope with a whole day of socially-distanced desk-bound (not literally) learning, so half will be in in the morning and half in the afternoon, again Mon-Thur. (Indications are that fewer EYFS children will be coming in than for years 1 and especially 6.) The three-day weekend provides time for a deep clean on Friday and 72 hours for the virus to expire on any contaminated surfaces. There will be no taking books or equipment to and from school and parents are asked to send their children in in clean clothes every day and ensure clothes are washed promptly on return from school - no uniform required. Meanwhile, year 3/4 staff will be continuing to provide childcare for key-worker children not in EYFS, year 1, or year 6 Mon-Fri - those classrooms are in a separate block. It'll be a pretty grim experience compared to what pupils are used to but in many cases better than being stuck at home, both mentally and educationally.

I've been having similar talks with my wife who is a primary teacher.  I'm worried about the pupils in years 1 and 6 who cannot return for health reasons, both themselves and members of their household no longer being set work.  A parent with COPD cannot reasonably be expected to send their child to school at the moment but the child should still be receiving an education.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

1451679187_CecilHewitt02.jpg.ed94ba58a04bf640de5373447b793b76.jpg

No room for the picnic basket? Don't worry, mum'll bring it on her hat.

Does R.W. Palmer give his occupation as "Jobmaster" or is that the name of this particular model of vehicle?

43 minutes ago, Bedders said:

I've been having similar talks with my wife who is a primary teacher.  I'm worried about the pupils in years 1 and 6 who cannot return for health reasons, both themselves and members of their household no longer being set work.  A parent with COPD cannot reasonably be expected to send their child to school at the moment but the child should still be receiving an education.

There was a legal action brought or threatened against a Local Authority, on behalf of pupils without access to adequate IT or internet access at home, who would be unlawfully deprived of access to education, which produced a government promise of laptops or similar - I believe they're due about now. A similar action on behalf of those year 1 and 6 pupils unable to attend school could bring the system crashing down, as there simply aren't the number of teachers required to provide both classroom and online education and the continued keyworker children provision. 

I do need to have another go at turning the garage upside-down to find those acrylics I bought for painting the Stadden figures.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

Never wishing to defend the government, but I do think that the mutually incompatible objectives that they have to attempt to serve during the pandemic would tax anybody: prevent the hospitals crashing; educate the children; prevent the economy crashing more than it already has; find a way of paying for it etc etc. Every one is a genuinely deep practical challenge.

I’m thinking that two, and possibly three, big superpower countries are adopting the solution of sweeping it under the carpet, which I don’t think is an accusation that could fairly be levelled here or in the rest of Western Europe.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Never wishing to defend the government, but I do think that the mutually incompatible objectives that they have to attempt to serve during the pandemic would tax anybody: prevent the hospitals crashing; educate the children; prevent the economy crashing more than it already has; find a way of paying for it etc etc. Every one is a genuinely deep practical challenge.

But a key point here is that there was a major planning exercise in 2016, the lessons of which were ignored.

Apologies again. Another Edwardian princess in reparation:

image.png.6675e25a2b03720a469a0fd7f9f7b70c.png

Princess Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena, b. 1887 at Balmoral, daughter of Princess Beatrice (of Midland Railway fame). In 1906 she married King Alfonso XIII of Spain.

I posted these princesses on @AVS1998's Pullman thread, where I had become intrigued by the car names.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But a key point here is that there was a major planning exercise in 2016, the lessons of which were ignored

I wouldn’t argue with that, but acknowledging it doesn’t solve any of the current problems.

Do have a slice of cake.

40E209A2-C99E-4F1E-A9BF-0034312E59F8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

28 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m thinking that two, and possibly three, big superpower countries are adopting the solution of sweeping it under the carpet, which I don’t think is an accusation that could fairly be levelled here or in the rest of Western Europe.

Yes that is the problem, these things are a delicate balance of saving lives by closing down unnecessary contact yet striving to manage the economy so that the same people are not then victims of a deep economic recession which can impose real long term suffering. Governments are damned if they do or damned if they don't in these cases. Ours seems to have erred on the side of public safety which is praiseworthy but I fear that the effect on the economy will take a long time to recover from. Trying times in which the odd instance of a bad choice by a politician is, while not something to be excused, is of little consequence in the greater scheme of things.    

• Like 3

A colour photograph taken in 1910 by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, giving a indication of the quality that colour photography could obtain 110 years ago.

20458v.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Princess Victoria Eugenie Julia Ena

I'm OK with Victoria, Eugenie and Julia but Ena? Seriously??

33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Do have a slice of cake.

That used to be my favourite. I'd peel all the marzipan off and eat it, then leave the sponge.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Does R.W. Palmer give his occupation as "Jobmaster" or is that the name of this particular model of vehicle?

It's the occupation - a jobmaster was someone who had a business renting out horses and carriages.  See small ads from the Morning Post in 1908

image.png.d706cba208b15e2fe66f3b5683a8f87c.png

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But a key point here is that there was a major planning exercise in 2016, the lessons of which were ignored.

Hindsight is wonderful I suspect that it got lost in the need to pump more money into the NHS for other reasons like queues in A and E . The public have no real appetite for paying the sort of taxes that would be needed to meet all the services we expect. Especially when those who have put a little bit by find themselves excluded while spendthrifts get hand outs all the time. This destroys community spirit.

Don

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

But it does explain where Ena Sharples got her name!

40 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That used to be my favourite. I'd peel all the marzipan off and eat it, then leave the sponge.

Marzipan on its own is ok, but when its used on cakes it gets contaminated by the apricot jam thats used to glue it to the sponge underneath.  Don't like apricot jam...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Same difference: sponge = Ena. It seems to have been the name by which she was generally known, to distinguish her from all the other Victorias and Eugenies (not so many Julias, though). The Pullman car was called Princess Ena

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But it does explain where Ena Sharples got her name!

I gather she is supposed to have been born in 1899, so almost certainly named after the princess. The only other Ena of note I can find was a Scottish playwright, born in 1912 - perhaps a little late for peak Ena enthusiasm?

32 minutes ago, Tom Burnham said:

It's the occupation - a jobmaster was someone who had a business renting out horses and carriages.  See small ads from the Morning Post in 1908

I thought so - just the idea of "Jobmaster" as a vehicle marque tickled my fancy,

7 minutes ago, Donw said:

Hindsight is wonderful I suspect that it got lost in the need to pump more money into the NHS for other reasons like queues in A and E . The public have no real appetite for paying the sort of taxes that would be needed to meet all the services we expect. Especially when those who have put a little bit by find themselves excluded while spendthrifts get hand outs all the time. This destroys community spirit.

... but when the cost of the pandemic turns out to be vastly greater than the cost of being prepared for a pandemic ... 

Recent months have demonstrated that the most effective way of reducing A&E costs is to prohibit amateur sport and evening pub opening at weekends - so going forward, it is clear what activities need to be taxed more heavily.

• Like 2

I suspect that amateur sport keeps more people out of hospital in the long term, by keeping them fit, than it puts into hospital through accidents, and that middle-aged, middle-class drinkers at home probably cause as much or more NHS costs as binge drinking in public, so I propose that all alcohol taxes should be quadrupled, with the proceeds being split equally between ‘keep fit’ initiatives, basic cookery classes, and the NHS.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rocor said:

A colour photograph taken in 1910 by Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, giving a indication of the quality that colour photography could obtain 110 years ago.

I'm not entirely convinced. :nea:

30 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I suspect that amateur sport keeps more people out of hospital in the long term, by keeping them fit, than it puts into hospital through accidents, and that middle-aged, middle-class drinkers at home probably cause as much or more NHS costs as binge drinking in public, so I propose that all alcohol taxes should be quadrupled, with the proceeds being split equally between ‘keep fit’ initiatives, basic cookery classes, and the NHS.

On the other hand, in my experience, it was always the amateur sports people who came into work with bruises and pronounced limps on a Monday morning, or didn't turn up until Tuesday.  Their sporting activities didn't put them into the Casualty department right away, but I'd suggest that these things build up and they would eventually end up a burden on the NHS anyway!

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

In deference to the topic, maybe we’d better leave off any subjects post WW1.

My apologies for having mentioned Princess Patricia's marriage. Her father:

2007484209_GW3031Class4-4-2No.3065DukeofConnaught.jpg.9f3704f00ea652037beb41633ca9ad37.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, rocor said:

I should have at least given a reference.

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

It's worth reading the article on Prokudin-Gorskii's method, the way in which he reconstructed colour images and the way they have been reconstructed using modern digital techniques. But that locomotive photo is astounding. Why couldn't he have visited Carlisle Citadel Station?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Are you sure? Was she illegitimate? I mean, her father appears to be a single...

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

2007484209_GW3031Class4-4-2No.3065DukeofConnaught.jpg.9f3704f00ea652037beb41633ca9ad37.jpg

A full size working replica of one of these beautiful engines deserves to be constructed. 

How to finance the build?.

Maybe get Jeff Bezos to come up with the readies, if the locomotive was going to be a reconstruction of engine number 3001.

• Like 1