2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

That means nothing to me.

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Ah, Vienna.

I think we may be showing our age, Edwardian... Whatsamatter you, hey?

40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I was young, once,

If what I say has meaning for an audience of just one, that will have to do!

You've got to have a weedy 'tach for that (as the video clearly shows), OR you have a hankering for a rather gritty icecream and "chocolate" confection...

I usually have the speakers switched off, unless I come across something that I might like to listen to...

Edited by Hroth
Ghastly revelation.....
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Funnily enough I saw it flying into Vienna a couple of years ago.  I didn't realise: a) that there were any such yards left (at least outside North America, as you surmised) and b) how large they could be.

Thought it looked a bit too big for March.....  :jester:

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Big fiddle yards can be prototypical though.

P1000024.JPG

Presumably there is also an "Arrival" side.

Working on Tinsley, I was delighted to find the BR(E) Polish p.w. designers engineering a "Brake Kip", gravity powered, feeding down to the Departure "last exit" side. 

As "Runs as Required", I stiiI like the idea of the Guards sitting brewing up all day with no idea where they might end up. 

PS

Ah Vienna!   I have never been allowed to visit there by my wife.  

She had her great romantic pre marital adventure there as the only girly volunteer building houses for DPs in Austria during the immediate post-war years.

Annoyingly as a student teacher, she had a better practical knowledge of building construction during 5 years of courting, than I gained as an architecture student !

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ian said:

have now 'followed' on both sites

Me too.

I'm a great fan of things that work even (especially?) when using unorthodox methods.

"It works in practice but does it work in theory?"

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Useless trivia for today.

There used to be a team in the Dewsbury & District Cricket League years ago called Harry Lime (aka the third man).

it was of course a play on the name of the film and the fielding position.

I can remember that the wicket was b****y awful because I broke my fingers keeping wicket on the thing!

It was notorious round the league and it was not unknown to post 30 and win.

'Nuff said!

Ian T

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I was young, once,

If what I say has meaning for an audience of just one, that will have to do!

Fantastic song. Love Ultravox.

20 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Bonkers architecture

Nobody take him to Barcelona, his head will explode.

19 hours ago, Edwardian said:

And a fantastic film too.

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

"The Thirp Man", a reeley grate film!!!!

Pity about the egg-slicer player....

Personally I prefer the Egg-slicer to cheesy Rachmaninov of the same period. 

My dad would have disagreed:

Celia Johnson was his Jenny Agutter and he had complete sets of HMV 78s of both R’s piano Concerti in the cupboard under the old steel needle radiogram.

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

If I was in Carnforth waiting room and Celia Johnson walked in, and if I were Trevor Howard, I would have bought her a cuppa and removed the soot from her eye also.  With my luck though, I would have had to catch the next train, so no cinema or car rides in the country for me nor a Rachmaninoff moment.  Definitely a Brief Encounter!:cray_mini:

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Re: Vienna - my favourite city (even Edinburgh has to take second place)

Re: Railways that can run traffic from one place to another.

You might like to see some untidy pictures of my three-level, three station railway which I have just updated .... here....

I'm afraid it's based on (and in) County Durham, rather than 'parts south' and it's definitely post-grouping.

There is a problem in that the main storage was to emulate Darlington but will now have to be Darlington and Newcastle. This is to avoid the down line running south and the up line running north, although inevitably the down direction over the cross-room viaduct will have to run uphill. Since my junction station represents somewhere on the border of the NER Central Division (ex S&D) and the Northern Division (which is actually about where I live anyway) it does help if the ND Bridge Cabin is at the North End and the Central Division Cabin is at the South end.

Having wrestled with uploading pictures which come out on their sides I'll wait till tomorrow to post progress on stock and structures.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have just made mention of these books on another thread, but despite their being published in 1925 they do contain a lot of pre-grouping content.

I am afraid however, that the section on the Grouping of Railways (Vol II Page 260 et seq.) makes no mention of the West Norfolk Railway.

It has a vast amount of detail on such subjects as Perishable Merchandise by Passenger Train. Why should Rooks(dead) have a different rate to Poultry(dead) ?

Some readers of this thread will no doubt be pleased that Meat Pies are specifically listed, directly after Tongues, Tripe and Trotters.

The list of contributors includes such names as James Milne and Sir Felix Pole of the GWR, the Rt.Hon J H Thomas PC MP of the NUR (and at some point) HMG. Most of the contributors from the LMS and LNER seem to be slightly lower ranking officials, and there was nobody from the Southern.

If you want to know about the organisation of Good Traffic, and the clerical work resulting, then it's all somewhere in these two volumes.

There are several nice colour reproductions of railway posters, including the (possibly topical) one below!

Post_03.jpg

Post_04.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

I dare not delve too deeply into  the depths of goods traffic, it could be a major distraction.  I do know there was an instruction to station staff that milk churns were only to be accepted for transport in the Highland area if they were closed with wooden bungs.  Specifically, churns were to be rejected if bunged with potatoes or turnips.

Alan

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Buhar said:

I dare not delve too deeply into  the depths of goods traffic, it could be a major distraction.  I do know there was an instruction to station staff that milk churns were only to be accepted for transport in the Highland area if they were closed with wooden bungs.  Specifically, churns were to be rejected if bunged with potatoes or turnips.

Alan

The original 17gallon conical churn the wide top leading to a spud sized hole,  milk sort of funneled in,  but it was difficult to clean, some of later ones had a mouth diameter of 9 or 10 inches and an over all metal cap.

The later 1930ish to 1979 parallel side 10 gallon churns had a mouth diameter in excess of 6 inches and had metal top cap. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Must boost the iron content though.

ah! should have been mangels  such as manglewurzels or mangolds. Fingers, Smell chucker or Brain who knows?

Don

• Friendly/supportive 1

Regarding bitsa stations and layout planning,  I've always had a hankering for an actual model railway, rather than just building a single station right down the correct species of weeds growing under the buffer stops (and for the record, I have always regarded Pendon as a model landscape rather than a model railway - by way, did I ever mention that my dad knew Roye England back in the early 1950s ?).  I took up railway modelling in the mid-1970s with a gift of old RMs going back to the 1950s and to this day, my favourite model railways are just that, actual systems such as Buckingham, Craig & Mertonford, Castle Rackrent , Broad Aston and my all time favourite, the Millport & Selfield. Hang on, CKPR, you're an rivet counting scratchbuilder in EM, a dabbler in S and an aficionado of 'old time' US logging lines, what's with the coarse scale semi-freelance Millport & Selfield ?! Well, it was a proper 'closed' system that could be run by the book, the rolling stock was built for a purpose , engines had to be properly rostered and it just looks so railway-like in a way that 95% of most model railways don't. In my idle moments, I've had thoughts of recreating the M&S with my collection of 1950s Tri-ang. To be continued in next post...

M&S plan.jpg

M&S_1.jpg

M&S 2.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1