42 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Mr Coward obviously never tried to cycle from Cley to Blakeney on the A149.

My limited experience of the A149 on a bike suggest he’d be dead by now if he had, not from exhaustion but as just another piece of road-kill.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Now, quick question please:

Does anyone know the standard or typical dimensions for a Victorian-Edwardian railway poster or railway notice board? 

My brain works best in inches, or, of course, you might have some 4mil examples to hand.

Midland poster boards (from Midland Style):

One poster: 2'6" wide over frame, 4'2" high over frame, 3'6" "internal" height for the poster, with the company title in a separate panel in the top 8".

Two posters: 4'10" wide by 4'4" high over frame, 3'8" internal height.

I'll have to dig out LMS Lineside to see if this is consistent with other companies. 

Double Royal is 3'4" x 2'1", so will fit!

Elephant was a size - marginally bigger than Princess. I wouldn't mention that to any princesses of your acquaintance.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Double Elephant is c2’3” x c3’4”, so I think may also fit, depending upon the width of the beading ....... I wonder if the boards were designed to accept either, but that the Double Elephant gradually fell out of favour.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 hours ago, Annie said:

Knives were definitely out Don.  I was a bit so-so about scissors, but razor saws were a lot safer.  After injuring my hands a few times and spilling things I gave up in frustration, but back then I didn't really understand what was going on with me.  I do now though and I'm much more aware of warning signs that I'm likely to drop into a sleep state.

I worked a lot in wood and for that I found a razor saw to be my most useful tool.  I used to cut wooden parts for models from offcuts of wood that had been given to me for kindling for our wood stove and I have a couple of goods wagons that were made this way for the larger timbers with the rest of the planking provided by coffee stirrers and lolly sticks from the local craft shop.

I don't want to hi-jack James's thread, but this is a project that I would like to finish.  I know it's unashamedly whimsical, but I had a lot of fun getting it to this stage before I stopped model making.

586g0Sj.jpg

The 9:20 to Camberwick Green is late, Tibbles.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Likewise, a 3D back-scene formed of a series of receding flats, representing successive distant fields ought to work. Alternatively, a mature hedge row is generally enough to mark the edge of the world. 

The times I've been way outback with work, Ive found that aside  from being hot as bu99ery and full of serial killers  no matter how flat it is   there are always apparent distant trees or hills on the horizon.

The weird thing though -  you can drive for as long as you want and they never seem to get any closer. Ghan-landscape-3-sm.jpg.262906269c3da5482d30dd9ea763be96.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

It might be, often it looks like the ocean is there right on the far horizon  - maybe that led some of our early exploration enthusiasts off in the wrong direction to their doom... That and the Min-min light.

( I have seen a min-min light!)

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Annie said:

Mirage effects?

Not quite, although similar in result, but they can travel at supersonic speeds at low level, making the trees blurred, in the first place and seem to disappear each time you blink.

Julian

• Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I suspect that he didn't cycle very much at all.

Merely a purveyor of metropolitan nuroses, NfN and all that...

Anyhow, I'm convinced that most outsiders conflate Norfolk and the Fens.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Mr Coward obviously never tried to cycle from Cley to Blakeney on the A149.

Most of the places we have lived would have been far harder to cycle. Take a nice local round trip Broseley, Ironbridge, Madeley, Coalport Broseley. Or Porlock to Linton and back. 

Don

12 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Glad to hear it

I always thought that, if you had room, a display plank would be good using that excellent station kit you once found; Purple Bob (wish the range was available in 4mil, too).

Now, quick question please:

Does anyone know the standard or typical dimensions for a Victorian-Edwardian railway poster or railway notice board? 

94771905_WNRPoster-Copy-Copy.jpg.e5d998bf57d1eecd0021c4a910c27c39.jpg

My brain works best in inches, or, of course, you might have some 4mil examples to hand.

This may or may not help you with scale, a 7 year old me is also pictured. (Nene Valley 2013)

7F90407F-C488-4F15-A641-3E0658458CB5.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

At the risk or turning this into a Monty Python sketch, you're lucky.

Our road down to the next town is 8km long and descends 600m - unrelenting climb on the way back.

Cor! 50 years ago I'd have loved to ride a soap-box cart down that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The times I've been way outback with work, Ive found that aside  from being hot as bu99ery and full of serial killers  no matter how flat it is   there are always apparent distant trees or hills on the horizon.

The weird thing though -  you can drive for as long as you want and they never seem to get any closer. Ghan-landscape-3-sm.jpg.262906269c3da5482d30dd9ea763be96.jpg

That brings back memories, I spent a lot of time on archaeological survey work in that sort of country.

Very hot, very dry and with more bloody blow flies per cubic metre of air than you could count. I remember one day trying to photo something at my feet and I had trouble focusing as the fly population was blurring the image. It's amazing how you always see this apparent forest in the distance but you never get close the trees always stay the same distance apart. On one survey I had to investigate a small waterhole which managed to retain water even through the dry season. I was expecting some sort of scenic idyll - trees, clear water, birds etc. When I got there I found out that any permanent water attracts cattle and other wildlife and it looked and smelled like the overflow from a septic tank.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I was expecting some sort of scenic idyll - trees, clear water, birds etc. When I got there I found out that any permanent water attracts cattle and other wildlife and it looked and smelled like the overflow from a septic tank.    

The hallmark of the countryside, in my experience, is that it's generally covered in sh1t.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

On one survey I had to investigate a small waterhole

Did someone finally  mention Australian outback  waterhole!??!!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 1

Oh, God, the "Golden Age" of British comedy.

How we maintained our morale during the War, I'll never know.

I can only really stand it in parody, which captures perfectly how easily amused contemporary audiences must have been, how the "comic" could say just about anything and get a laugh, and exactly how spectacularly unfunny much of it was .... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well at least you apparently had enough comedy gold to get a volume 2.

No one here has cracked a funny since 1983, which is why Australiana by Austen Tayshus is still our biggest ever selling single, knocking Shaddap  ya face from its comedy throne.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Did someone finally  mention Australian outback  waterhole!??!!

Rinso!

11 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh, God, the "Golden Age" of British comedy.

How we maintained our morale during the War, I'll never know.

I can only really stand it in parody, which captures perfectly how easily amused contemporary audiences must have been, how the "comic" could say just about anything and get a laugh, and exactly how spectacularly unfunny much of it was .... 

To be fair, reality at the time was pretty dire.  Home front or on active service the chances of violent death were pretty much enhanced, and if not the diet was pretty awful* and for a city dweller, you were likely to be living in uncomfortable, bomb-damaged accommodation.  Into the 50s there was terrible weather, rationing and continued poor housing.  It would have been depressing enough to make you laugh at anything.

I'm with you on the unfunniness of it all, you just have to trawl through the "catch phrases" of the era...

* http://www.recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime/snoek-snook/

• Friendly/supportive 2