Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

The first early Anderson effort that I vaguely remember was Torchy the Battery Boy again with an awful theme song.  Somewhere, I still have an annual for it.

 

The next was a cowboy series, Four Feather Falls

I remember both of those but didn't know that Torchy was an Anderson production.

 

What about Twizzle?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

What about Twizzle?

 

The one with the androgynous toy* with extending legs and arms?  Thankfully beyond my powers of rememberance, I've only seen an episode on utoob, up there with Magic Roundabout for spaced out whackiness!

 

 

Actually on topic as the establishing shot of the toyshop has a toy train shuttling to and fro in the window!

 

* Described as a boy, but has a 50s ponytail....

 

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

 

The one with the androgynous toy* with extending legs and arms?  Thankfully beyond my powers of rememberance, I've only seen an episode on utoob, up there with Magic Roundabout for spaced out whackiness!

 

Actually on topic as the establishing shot of the toyshop has a toy train shuttling to and fro in the window!

 

* Described as a boy, but has a 50s ponytail....

 

That's the one. Immortalised by people who, if asked to do a task that involved excessive stretching and reaching, would invariably reply "Who do you think I am - f***ing Twizzle?".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

The one with the androgynous toy* with extending legs and arms?  Thankfully beyond my powers of rememberance, I've only seen an episode on utoob, up there with Magic Roundabout for spaced out whackiness!

 

 

Actually on topic as the establishing shot of the toyshop has a toy train shuttling to and fro in the window!

 

* Described as a boy, but has a 50s ponytail....

 

Wonder what scale/gauge the train in the window is?

 

<sharp intake of breath> a golliwog??!!?!

 

 

 

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who found Twizzle seriously disturbing? And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia... but that was by Gordon Murray of course....

 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Twizzle; back to railways then .... 

 

2142644386_DSC_6994-Copy.JPG.7901fe533b54c1077a1f086f12159d45.JPG

Although you should point out, for those not living in the North East of England, that the TV one is tw-iz-zl and the loco is tw-eye-zl. Nevertheless, good attempt at getting the thread back on track.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK then!  The early colourful GW livery has not been replicated in those older engines that my have qualified, even the new build Saint.  Let alone slapping it on any other likely candidate, Dukes, Bulldogs especially.  May not be prototypical but  CoT looked good and it would make a change.  So much for Twizzle!:rolleyes:

     Brian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Wonder what scale/gauge the train in the window is?

Hornby O Gauge tinplate, I should imagine, given the "antiquity" of the toyshop!.

 

20 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

<sharp intake of breath> a golliwog??!!?!

'fraid so.

Evidently in one of the missing 51 episodes, there's a golliwog in whiteface...  A lucky escape!

 

17 hours ago, 90rob said:

And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia..

Apparently.  Looks like its claymation rather than puppetry.  I like the dragon!

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 90rob said:

And am I the only one who remembers Rubovia... but that was by Gordon Murray of course....

 

 

I vaguely remember it but it obviously did not make any deep impressions on me, not like, say,

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear!

 

Now that does provoke a giant outbreak of time-travelling. Clearest memory is of listening to it while standing with my nose at table height, so I must have been about 4yo, watching my mother sewing on her wonderful old hand-cranked singer machine, which always utterly fascinated me ....... the motion was hypnotic, and I was really "blown away" by the intricacy, and smooth mechanical precision of the thing, still am to be honest.

 

You can hear the other key nostalgia-prompts here http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/lwm.htm

 

(BTW, any Doctor Who aficianados in the house? I ask, because my favourite episode is "The Idiots Lantern ", in which Maureen Lipman in menacing mode asks "Are you sitting comfortably?". See here at c1:55. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+idiots+lantern&&view=detail&mid=6A9F843BFDB2FD6C82506A9F843BFDB2FD6C8250&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bidiots%2Blantern%26FORM%3DHDRSC3)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adam88 said:

I vaguely remember it but it obviously did not make any deep impressions on me, not like, say,

 

You always get better pictures on the wireless...

 

I remember hearing lWM on my grandmothers radio, she would put it on a few minutes before it started to allow the valves to warm up, there's nothing more evocative of pre-transistor technology than the sound becoming slowly audible, or a TV picture emerging into focus for that matter!

 

I don't recall any of the stories however...

 

56 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

And then there was Children's Hour with Uncle Mac, which leads of course to the books "In the Train with Uncle Mac".

 

That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my Ladybirds.

(The Pacific on the cover looks ugly enough to be a Thompson rebuild...)

 

 

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You always get better pictures on the wireless...

 

I remember hearing lWM on my grandmothers radio, she would put it on a few minutes before it started to allow the valves to warm up, there's nothing more evocative of pre-transistor technology than the sound becoming slowly audible, or a TV picture emerging into focus for that matter!

 

I don't recall any of the stories however...

 

 

That reminds me, I'll have to dig out my Ladybirds.

 

 

 

The very name Daphne Oxenford fascinated me.  She had one of those clearly enounced RP voices so rare nowadays but still haunting R4Ex drama.

 

You are right about letting the radio warm up.  One of the clichés now is for the actor to switch on the radio and for the assembled cast to hear instantly Neville Chamberlain lead the nation into war.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Ahh yes, Larry the Lamb and Dennis The Dachshund, Ernest the policeman and Mr Growser, they were fun.

And Captain Higgins, who I now realise had become a "temporary gentleman" in WW1.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

 

(BTW, any Doctor Who aficianados in the house? I ask, because my favourite episode is "The Idiots Lantern ", in which Maureen Lipman in menacing mode asks "Are you sitting comfortably?". See here at c1:55. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+idiots+lantern&&view=detail&mid=6A9F843BFDB2FD6C82506A9F843BFDB2FD6C8250&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bidiots%2Blantern%26FORM%3DHDRSC3)

 

Yes!  I'm Late Pertwee and Tom Baker in terms of childhood viewing, but latterly started again from Matt Smith.  I have not been disappointed with any of the modern Doctors, though Matt Smith is the highlight for me.

 

My daughter recently discovered that, Christopher Eccleston and onwards, Doctor Who is on Netflix and she promptly watched the lot! This prompted me to do likewise, and I'm currently going through the David Tennant years.  I'm post Rose Tyler, so I did see and enjoy this one quite recently. I note it was a Mark Gatiss script, so bound to be a good 'un.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, webbcompound said:

And then there was Children's Hour with Uncle Mac, which leads of course to the books "In the Train with Uncle Mac".

 

And so back to railways!

455_in_the_train_older.jpg.e8a47d3afe8bcf75cd148c455af76f1e.jpg

 

 

Still a favourite read of mine. 

 

Rob. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a little late to the party on the subject of 1960's children's television Science fiction series using marionettes.

 

But here goes,  does anyone else remember Space Patrol?.

 

 

Space Patrol.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.