16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Poacher, surely?

Lincolnshire?

Hes a bit young....

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought it better not to appear partisan.

As I scrolled through I thought "Hello Beatrice!", then the brain cell flipped and told me not to be silly....  :crazy:

Nice loco!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Lincolnshire?

Hes a bit young....

As I scrolled through I thought "Hello Beatrice!", then the brain cell flipped and told me not to be silly....  :crazy:

Nice loco!

3 hours ago, Northroader said:

Hello, Beatrice??????????

F23DC741-2B9A-40B8-9914-36890AF06F2B.jpeg.67e6e20325390311fda508e26773cee4.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Been out in the sun again?  :whistle:

This one, named after Queen Victoria's youngest daughter:

image.png.561678db5c1942a8ca0387b1893c386a.png

• Like 8

I will tell you why... I have of late—but wherefore I know not—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises.

As an aside, more being-spied-on-by-internet-businesses, I watched the film Inception on Netflix last night.  Just now, went onto the Bay of Fleas and this, never-seen-before ad popped up ....

1115025021_ForeverSpin.png.a2c5c1e06bb15ae4d1c9548b9246610a.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

I had a sense of humour failure just now, I was thinking about a pleasant afternoon muddling in the loft, after fulfilling G word duties this morning. But, SWMBO wanted me to order a replacement tap for one that’s dripping (ceramic, of course) soo, rang round, tap obsolete six years ago, order modern replacement unit on line, order cancelled, visa transaction subject to security, ring bank, pillar to post, customer satisfaction, (they’re having a laugh), security happy, off to reorder, transaction cleared, check email, etc. Sod it, let’s have an ice cream.

• Friendly/supportive 12
3 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

tenor.gif

where is everyone ?

Nick B

I wasn't here 'cos for 2 days when I tried to log into RMweb I got a message saying  "no connection  fault at host server" just assumed that an upgrade being applied. didn't check AndyY's facebook page .... never frequent the site!

• Agree 1
56 minutes ago, DonB said:

I wasn't here 'cos for 2 days when I tried to log into RMweb I got a message saying  "no connection  fault at host server"

Same here. just couldn't get access for a couple of days. Then it appeared, then disappeared again. Now it is back (obviously)

Remember that I characterised the present government as very much the second eleven?

Exam results. Need I say more?

My own view is that anyone downgrading my son's mock or predicted results (i.e. his future) for the sake of achieving some abstract goal of desired overall statistics deserves to be hunted down and tortured to death. HMG asked Ofqual for a model that produced just such an outcome.  It was a difficult issue to navigate, but just like Covid, the quality of decision-making and time lag in doing what became obviously necessary exposes, once again, the hapless amateurishness of the present administration. Today's attempt by those of Her Majesty's Ministers responsible to blame Ofqual for the debacle is as egregious as it is dishonest. God rot them.

We are governed by knaves and fools.

I feel better for that.  Tomorrow, if I remember, I'll order some fishplates.

God bless and keep you all.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Exam results. Need I say more?

A good Conservative understands that it is people as individuals who matter, not the abstract mass. I trust your son has indeed got what he needs for the next phase of his education.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

A good Conservative understands that it is people as individuals who matter, not the abstract mass. I trust your son has indeed got what he needs for the next phase of his education.

indeed. The definition of a monster is someone who puts abstract ideas ahead of actual people. 

Hopefully I'll find out how he's done soon.  He's away and I've been without a telephonic communication device for a couple of days.  Yesterday I found myself in the metropolis of Darlington, there of necessity to replace my 'phone due to the 'lack of longevity' of a certain swish fruit-themed smart 'phone (I decided to switch to a basic android as my petty act of defiance).

Should catch up with him over the weekend.  It's been a sort of vicariously tense week.

• Friendly/supportive 11

I've been content with bog-standard android devices ever since I got an allegedly "smart" phone. The only reason I've ever got a new one is when they suddenly stop working or when the version of android is so old that it won't install software!

Good luck for your sons results, I hope they're up to expectations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

This is a Mobile Phone. Photo taken with a Camera. Remember those?

phone.JPG.7dc19866cdf28b06e6a738de16e202af.JPG

This is the phone we got my elder son when he started secondary school, so it's about nine years old. I did have a flip phone but about six years ago it slipped out of my pocket into a ceramic bowl of water (let's not go into that). Fortunately the SIM card survived. The rest of the family were moving on to these newfangled too-big-for-your-pocket-screen-too-small-to-read-and-too-easily-damaged devices that I have never coveted, so I got my son's cast-off while keeping my number.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I have a truly ancient Nokia cell phone, - which is just that, - a phone.  No silly magic bits or pretending to be a pocket computer, - it's just a phone.  I keep telling myself that I'll replace it, but since it persists in continuing to function I've never got around to doing it.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Surely "good Conservative" is an oxymoron.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Surely "good Conservative" is an oxymoron.

I personally know several. 
And they are all appalled, alarmed and embarrassed about the self-serving pocket-lining kleptocracy we have running the country at the moment.

Generally, though, political discourse runs a bit smoother if we don’t demonise each other.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
1 hour ago, Annie said:

I have a truly ancient Nokia cell phone, - which is just that, - a phone.  No silly magic bits or pretending to be a pocket computer, - it's just a phone.  I keep telling myself that I'll replace it, but since it persists in continuing to function I've never got around to doing it.

Last year I bought a new phone, a Nokia 220 4G to replace my previous Nokia 3310 that only worked on 2G and 3G so was no longer much use as those networks are being retired. It's a simple dumbphone but works very well. It's probably available in NZ too (usual disclaimer).

• Like 1