2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh. I thought it was a form of Late Roman Empire divide-and-rule.

But I'm afraid those who would hold out against Train Station in such a forthright manner would be initiating a bloodbath on a scale not seen since when.. ? Probably the year before last,

Yes, they say it on BBC radio all the time.

Truly, decline and fall.

As an undergrad, I did once convince someone that antediluvian referred to the period before the reign of Emperor Diluvian. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Oh. I thought it was a form of Late Roman Empire divide-and-rule.

But I'm afraid those who would hold out against Train Station in such a forthright manner would be initiating a bloodbath on a scale not seen since when.. ? Probably the year before last,

I have the same strong dislike for people who call an engine driver a 'train driver'.  If anyone had called my grandad a 'train driver' they would have got a clip around the ear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Heck there's precious little political discussion happening anywhere else, at least here it can be held with reasonable people who don't refuse to accept that others have valid opinions.

I get that mate. (Really nice talking to you again btw, most of my modelling discussion recently has been on @BlueLightning's Discord) But I for one personally come on here to escape the things in the "Real World" that stress me out.

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Having said that, Red's statement was unusually emphatic for Castle Aching!

You know me James, I'm nothing if not brutally honest.

1 hour ago, Annie said:

I have the same strong dislike for people who call an engine driver a 'train driver'.  If anyone had called my grandad a 'train driver' they would have got a clip around the ear.

Pop (my great-grandad) was the same.

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Train station!  :ireful: :butcher:   I detest linguistic primitives who call Railway Stations 'Train Stations'.   At this rate of degradation of the English language we will all end up grunting at each other in condominiums and eating nothing but fast food purchased at McDonalds.   

Preach it sister!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Annie said:

Train station!  :ireful: :butcher:   I detest linguistic primitives who call Railway Stations 'Train Stations'.   At this rate of degradation of the English language we will all end up grunting at each other in condominiums and eating nothing but fast food purchased at McDonalds.   

I had a similar thought as I travelled on the omnibus service to the local road station...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

It was not always thus, earlier the SW used the number of the initial locomotive as the class designator.

Something similar happened with the GER.  Here, on official weight diagrams, the 134 Class became known by different numbers as the lowest number in the class changed!  Then we move to order number designations.

Same on the CR, only there later builds of the same class could be given lower numbers (e.g. if they were built as renewals out of revenue rather than as new out of capital).  thus the preserved 439 Class 0-4-4T is number 419.

While we're on the subject of wrongly used words, why does everyone nowadays refer to the ground as 'the floor' - as in 'the cyclist knocked me down onto the floor'?  The floor is what you walk on indoors, outdoors you walk on the ground, no?

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

While we're on the subject of wrongly used words, why does everyone nowadays refer to the ground as 'the floor' - as in 'the cyclist knocked me down onto the floor'?  The floor is what you walk on indoors, outdoors you walk on the ground, no?

"Train station" is due to lack of familiarity with railway travel.

"The floor" is due to a lack of familiarity with outdoors.

That said, there's a substantial difference between being floored and being grounded.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

I had a similar thought as I travelled on the omnibus service to the local road station...

I generally motor to the station.

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

He wasn't the only one who struggled with the transition from 19th century 4-4-0 to 20th century 4-6-0. I think we all know who succeeded.

Several 4-6-0 iterations on the Great Central come to mind and I seem to recall they never cut it as express engines but ended up more mixed traffic and conveyors of Fish!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Several 4-6-0 iterations on the Great Central come to mind and I seem to recall they never cut it as express engines but ended up more mixed traffic and conveyors of Fish!

But surely you realised it was J.G. Robinson I had in mind?

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

While we're on the subject of wrongly used words, why does everyone nowadays refer to the ground as 'the floor'

In railway circles, certainly in the south of England, it isn't even 'the floor', it gets all nautical and becomes 'the deck'. To "put one on the deck" is to have/cause a minor derailment, usually when shunting in sidings. Presumably by analogy with Cockney usage, where to "deck" someone is to knock them to the floor/ground, as opposed to "'avin a dekko", which is to have a look at something, and is straight from Hindi.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Are you suggesting that fish do not need to travel at express speeds?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the 16th century, the fine for affray was 4d. To give someone "a fourpenny one" was a current expression in my father's Birmingham boyhood, or so he claimed.

3 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Are you suggesting that fish do not need to travel at express speeds?

Better to be a dead mackerel on the London & North Western than a first class passenger on the Brighton.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, Annie said:

Sorry Annie, you're fighting a lost cause! :(  For too long now, it has been the subject of protest  along with other words that try the patience of traditionalists, yet it appears more often these days. Even the Beeb has encompassed it!

Brian

11 hours ago, Annie said:

If people keep on calling Railway Stations 'train stations' they'll soon be popping up everywhere.

Yes I agree, the term passenger railway interface facilitator is much more correct. And also adds the extra frisson of incomprehensibility to announcements heard on the passenger operating staff information distributing system ....... 

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4