55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Specially for @Caley Jim, a Scottish 4-6-0:

image.png.3f81d3a38aa2e4917f0fce67792074c1.png

Nice carriages, too.

Some people are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, others with a big key in their hand* and yet others with a big wooden spoon in their hand**!

*for winding other people up.

**for stirring things.

Jim (c'mon mods, add that 'dislike' button!)

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, drmditch said:
2 hours ago, drmditch said:

The Postman has just delivered a cardboard tube from that nice Mr Isinglass. So now a choice is required about what locomotive to work on next:-

NER Class Z

NER Class V

LNER Class V2

Any opinions?

(I am happy to use my binocular vision and opposable thumbs in the course of construction

!)

The V2 is a very handsome locomotive, and a rarity of type, being one of only three classes of 2-6-2 tender locomotive to be introduced into Britain, but here on this thread it has the major disadvantage of being too modern.

So my vote would have to go to one of the Atlantic's.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Even the LNWR ended up with a 4-4-2, a Precursor Tank loco, 

which doesn't really cut the mustard compared with proper 'Atlantics' that have tenders.

I fear you are sadly mistaken. the sainted Webb did produce an Atlantic, prosaicly known by the LNWR as the "Improved 6'0" eight wheeled compound engine" (because ten wheels was an improvement on eight), but known more usually as the "Empress of India Class" Technically, with its radial bogie and compound drivers it was a 2-2-2-2, but to all intents and purposes it was an Atlantic, and as it was designed in 1894 it beats everyone else. This diagram was produced by a junior draughsman at Crewe in 1907 and he made a right horlicks of the measurements. He subsequently became a porter on Shap station.

002.jpg.0e2fa90888d84e8d7591c706ebbbbae3.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's a 2+2-2-2-2...

But Crewe was reluctant on the score of leading bogies - Webb's 4-4-0s have a leading 4-wheel radial truck rather than a true bogie, an arrangement retained by Whale and Bowen Cooke.

I used bogie instead of truck, but then all bogies are trucks in North America, and cannon onboard warships are mounted on trucks, and the diagram clearly shows radial axles. Even O.S.Nock (in discussing the Precursors), although admitting that they are "in the strictest sense not bogies at all" nevertheless goes on to refer to them on his plan as bogies, whilst elsewhere referring to them as radial trucks. I would submit that therefore the diagram shows neither a bogie, nor a truck, but a pair of radial axles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

I would submit that therefore the diagram shows neither a bogie, nor a truck, but a pair of radial axles.

Yes, they're separately mounted in the frames, which is why I called it a 2+2- rather than a 4-.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

I used bogie instead of truck, but then all bogies are trucks in North America, and cannon onboard warships are mounted on trucks, and the diagram clearly shows radial axles. Even O.S.Nock (in discussing the Precursors), although admitting that they are "in the strictest sense not bogies at all" nevertheless goes on to refer to them on his plan as bogies, whilst elsewhere referring to them as radial trucks. I would submit that therefore the diagram shows neither a bogie, nor a truck, but a pair of radial axles.

Except that Bissel* Truck, which was a pony truck and a Bissel Bogie, which was a bogie.

*An American

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Am I alone in liking the T19r, with leading bogie (not radial wheels!) taken from the trailing bogie of an E10 0-4-4T...?

spacer.png

No, you are not, at least, so goes my understanding, parts thereof 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Except that Bissel* Truck, which was a pony truck and a Bissel Bogie, which was a bogie.

*An American

The CR had some 6-wheel swivel* (bolster) wagons with Bissel trucks.

*They called all their 4 and 6-wheel bolster wagons 'swivel wagons' because the bolster was on a pivot at its centre.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3

42 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

one fears that Mr Mayor has taken a lesson from he who shall not be named in bluster,  side stepping and evasion of the question  :jester:

Nick B

Yes, I bought some 009 fishplates. No idea where I put them. 

Standby.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I fear you are sadly mistaken. the sainted Webb did produce an Atlantic, prosaicly known by the LNWR as the "Improved 6'0" eight wheeled compound engine" (because ten wheels was an improvement on eight), but known more usually as the "Empress of India Class" Technically, with its radial bogie and compound drivers it was a 2-2-2-2, but to all intents and purposes it was an Atlantic,

Apart from the 1907 drawing, is there any other record of it being built/converted to this 10 wheeled version.
I'm surprised Ted Talbot hasn't mentioned it in one of his books, unless I've missed it.
But basically it's not an Atlantic, because the two drivers are not directly coupled, in my opinion.
However I leave it to wiser heads than mine to sort that one out  :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, nick_bastable said:

it might be piffle or as I well know I put them somewhere safe ...............:angry:

I've searching this evening for a bottle of glue which I had very recently and then put 'somewhere safe'.  If anyone can tell us where that 'somewhere' is I for one would be much obliged.  :dontknow:

Jim

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

40 minutes ago, brianusa said:

It is fashionable to have a group that matters these days. 

You mean like the Procrastination Society, which I never seem to get round to joining!:rolleyes:

Jim

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Penlan said:

Apart from the 1907 drawing, is there any other record of it being built/converted to this 10 wheeled version.
I'm surprised Ted Talbot hasn't mentioned it in one of his books, unless I've missed it.

After the succesfull exhibition of the Queen Empress at the Chicago World Exposition in 1893 the Empress of India was also sent to America where it was believed to have influenced the Baldwin Company who were designing an new loco for the Atlantic City Line. The loco was aboard the SS Hanoverian, an Allen Line ship which set off from Baltimore for Liverpool in the summer of 1885. Unfortunately the ship went down and the locomotive was lost.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1