2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

20201112_083511.jpg.996b62ccf005e4af7488a60f5eb40f03.jpg

Without going full capstan or turntable, I would link the loco shed to the runaround loop. this would mean that the loco could propel wagons into the loading bays, and draw them out again without having to go into sheds or under canopies. As it stands the loco would have to regularly back into the outgoing goods shed to get the empties from the incoming shed onto the exchange siding loop

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope James you will forgive me obtruding my own Biscuit Factory ideas here - you've prompted me into trying a quick mock-up:

758429826_BiscuitFactorymockup1.JPG.b51074fa5d7102ba8c34cb32dcffca46.JPG

I want to capture the grim industrial chasm between the buildings:

1603153816_BiscuitFactorymockup2.JPG.c707461f6c41179161790d5e00b6dda4.JPG

It's all a bit straight compared to your artistic Norfolk curves. The modernist city skyline with pyramid spire wasn't intended to be part of the mock-up!

Here's the ornamental factory entrance with line across the street, serving a factory annex behind the ordinary town buildings:

854186052_BiscuitFactorymockup3.JPG.9b75d47fcb905d8251faf44232a12a03.JPG

The gap on the left will feature a wagon turntable and stub siding under the lucam on the gable end of the big foreground warehouse.

I can't find the three Huntley & Palmer wagons I built!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Without going full capstan or turntable, I would link the loco shed to the runaround loop. this would mean that the loco could propel wagons into the loading bays, and draw them out again without having to go into sheds or under canopies. As it stands the loco would have to regularly back into the outgoing goods shed to get the empties from the incoming shed onto the exchange siding loop

Thank you, that is a great idea. 

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I hope James you will forgive me obtruding my own Biscuit Factory ideas here - you've prompted me into trying a quick mock-up:

758429826_BiscuitFactorymockup1.JPG.b51074fa5d7102ba8c34cb32dcffca46.JPG

I want to capture the grim industrial chasm between the buildings:

1603153816_BiscuitFactorymockup2.JPG.c707461f6c41179161790d5e00b6dda4.JPG

It's all a bit straight compared to your artistic Norfolk curves. The modernist city skyline with pyramid spire wasn't intended to be part of the mock-up!

Here's the ornamental factory entrance with line across the street, serving a factory annex behind the ordinary town buildings:

854186052_BiscuitFactorymockup3.JPG.9b75d47fcb905d8251faf44232a12a03.JPG

The gap on the left will feature a wagon turntable and stub siding under the lucam on the gable end of the big foreground warehouse.

I can't find the three Huntley & Palmer wagons I built!

Bravo, Stephen.

Obviously a large urban factory, like H&P in Reading, so very different from my rural annex, and I think the mock-up captures that beautifully.

Those Metcalfe units are crying out for over-laid quoins and judicious weathering.  Very attractive designs.

As for including a Parisian dwarf on the skyline, it's not big and it's not clever!

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There is a kiwi in the china cabinet.

Some sort of recognition phrase for use between espionage agents meeting on a bench in St James's Park?

"Yes, its a Parisian Dwarf."

Both depart to report that outright war has been averted.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Eh? 

There is a kiwi in the china cabinet.

I think the reference is to the Quasimodo of the drawing board.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Claims to be a kiwi:

Kiwi.JPG.084e75743d3cf7f9fafa7718ea87f3c2.JPG

Still baffled.

Picture two of three, a drawing board? with an image of a persons head mounted on it, that appears to be looking out across the rooftops of the model.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

"Lapin Fur" eh?

Bit like those Chinese life-size model cats that were briefly fashionable (with whom?) a few years ago. A model cat made from a real dead rabbit - Gothick or what?

Serving both to raise kiwi awareness and reduce the numbers of their introduced competitor, I suppose.

1 minute ago, rocor said:

Picture two of three, a drawing board? with an image of a persons head mounted on it, that appears to be looking out across the rooftops of the model.

Ah. That's a school photo of my younger son, hidden behind various greetings cards, all leaning up against the music rest on one of the pianos.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Serving both to raise kiwi awareness and reduce the numbers of their introduced competitor, I suppose.

Ah. That's a school photo of my younger son, hidden behind various greetings cards, all leaning up against the music rest on one of the pianos.

Spec-Savers for me then, as I should be able to correctly identify a drawing board, having spent much of my working life stood behind one.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

RM web used to stand for train related discussion.  Todays examples consist mainly of covid (fair enough) and local weather forecasts while the rest mainly describe ones ongoing ailments( which I can relate to) and shopping trips, etc.  All very interesting and fills a need in some, but it would be nice to include more of the very reason of this train related site -

the trains.

Brian:)

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, brianusa said:

RM web used to stand for train related discussion.  Todays examples consist mainly of covid (fair enough) and local weather forecasts while the rest mainly describe ones ongoing ailments( which I can relate to) and shopping trips, etc.  All very interesting and fills a need in some, but it would be nice to include more of the very reason of this train related site -

the trains.

Steer clear of ERs then!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

the trains.

PB_M9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

the trains.

Did you miss the the Rails/Locomotion announcement?  Probably not a frequent visitor to the WHR but I am sure I can arrange running powers to Haltemprice Quay.  

11 hours ago, Edwardian said:

do, genuinely feel free

Any excuse to practise :) Treated as a quick planning exercise, no pride involved so please feel equally free to ignore/discard/tear to pieces but perhaps it will spark something useful. All thoughts welcome.

1440726308_RoyalSandringhamLavenderBiscuits.jpg.07026485a1bf699f737602e9efea3248.jpg

Not much artifice involved and erring on the side of caution for lengths: 90mm per wagon, 5 wagons per train, >2 spots per siding, >2 wagons per spot (although filling to capacity would look off). 120mm allowed for loco, which I assume will be a W4 and so no longer than a wagon, to give an element of future-proofing

On wagon turntables, they needn't preclude locomotive shunting and have scenic value that could merit their inclusion. If need be I'm sure a narrative reason for their being strong enough to run a locomotive over could be found, and turning them into fully working bits of kit could always be done later... On the docks I've found them a handy excuse for running usefully long headshunts into places they really don't belong :) 

@Annie Those are just glorious, thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

"Lapin Fur" eh?

Bit like those Chinese life-size model cats that were briefly fashionable (with whom?) a few years ago. A model cat made from a real dead rabbit - Gothick or what?

We have two of those at Medstead & Four Marks Station playing the part of the archetypal country station cat (They're located in different positions). Sometimes people think they're real and can be most alarmed -at first- when I knock on its back and it sounds hollow. Or pick it up as one unit and bash it against the fire extinguisher cabinet which one of them sits on...

We're dreadfully professional, really! But occasional silliness doesn't go amiss, provided it doesn't affect the safety of ourselves, passengers, anyone else or the trains.

So for those wanting railway content I provide a shot from Medstead & Four Marks and some from my more recent volunteering activities;

IMG_20200907_220449_621.jpg.beeb1a48232e738d0ac57df53b4cc5dc.jpg

IMG_20201018_114220_538.jpg.3b28a06c342733963d5b70628a7cbd98.jpg

IMG_20201021_140724_539.jpg.d444c8285359a897a86b57847fd6f348.jpg

(Not my photo, but I am in it!)

Oh and this is, it would seem, my next project, although it's yet to be officially confirmed;

IMG_20200914_211355_662.jpg.81fd75b55ab9f35c306c6c2d66dd901f.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

5 hours ago, sem34090 said:

So for those wanting railway content I provide a shot from Medstead & Four Marks and some from my more recent volunteering activities;

IMG_20200907_220449_621.jpg.beeb1a48232e738d0ac57df53b4cc5dc.jpg

Please excuse me, and I am no longer conversant with the manners and customs of the Far South, but should not that barrow be parked with it's wheels parallel to the track?

I seem to remember an incident (at Rugby?) described by L T C Rolt.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1