Just goes to prove that electronics is all smoke and mirrors.     When you get a short circuit the smoke gets out.  The part then doesn't work because you can't get the smoke back in again! 

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Just goes to prove that electronics is all smoke and mirrors.     When you get a short circuit the smoke gets out.  The part then doesn't work because you can't get the smoke back in again! 

Jim

I'm sure that it would  if you caught ALL the smoke.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4
14 hours ago, Regularity said:

I prefer the Buddha pizza myself.

”Make me one with everything.”

A fellow ordered one such and paid with a 50-pound note. When he asked where his change was, he was told "change is within".

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

Anyone  like to hazard a guess at the prototype for this model station?

To me it has a rather Brighton look.

EDIT: It's just come to me; Kemp Town.

205521216_EbayPicture1-Copy.jpg.ea8b3e324924578c26c5b64c26428cd7.jpg

1916998030_EbayPicture2-Copy.jpg.bb071879281034506b1002f263f70732.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

Yes, I knew it looked Brightonesque (as in the company, reminiscent of Brighton London Road, Portslade or St Leonards West), but I was imagining it parallel to the track, which threw me for a bit, then I thought, hang on, if at a right angle to the tracks, it looks a dead ringer for Kemp Town.

1019904706_KempTown01.jpg.40a1a0a82efab34d0b91c6de920cb573.jpg

1867442940_KempTown02.jpg.d924882921843d63113f3a1036d2452d.jpg1926341628_KempTown03.jpg.6891c7d038b982559b26cba5f399abe0.jpg

1392348177_KemptTown04.jpg.89281f1556eab88241a498be45278adb.jpg

In which case, I've just bought a model of Kemp Town.

I knew this would come in useful one day ....

IMG_9790.JPG.b31a297d6dce1eef8be56774e99e2ee5.JPG

Just need that Balloon Trailer!

• Like 13

Hah, Kevin, I thought you responded to my edited post, but it looks like the moment of recognition came simultaneously.  I was being slow, thinking you'd know it was Kemp Town, which, of course, you did, instead of questioning it.  Having had a moment now to dig out some pics, I don't think there can be the slightest doubt that it's Kemp Town.

Always liked the idea of Kemp Town as a layout; I believe it was you who first advocated it as a subject hereabouts in the umber is the new black topic. 

Terrier research for Rails took me repeatedly back to Kemp Town!

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Very similar to, but slightly smaller than, London Road:

https://brightonmrc.wordpress.com/

Yes, it was thinking of Brighton London Road in particular that made me think it was a LB&SCR station.

• Like 4

Even the great edifice of Tunbridge Wells West contains similar features, but gone a bit mad, and Groombridge is the little sister of that one, and, and ..........

Ideal station to buy, really, since it had an "exit to fiddle yard" second only to Ventnor for its convenience to railway modellers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

It got served by a surprising range of weird things at your date too, because IIRC the petrol rail motors, and possibly the steam rail motors were used on the branch. Ideal place for trying out new things, being on the doorstep of HQ.

You could 2-4-0T one of those Terriers too. Boxhill would be ideal, because it was still in SIMPEG and numbered 82, which I'm sure is a kivery that somebody makes.

And, you could have the local Terrier "Kemptown" (alloneword).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 6

Well, you know me, I have a weakness for nice old architectural models that deserve TLC and extended life.

I know it's a bit self-indulgent, but it only set me back a pony and, if you compare that with the cost of model stations of similar size in kits or resin-plant, I get a lovely hand-built model for less than many new Exactly-the-sames-ville stations; even a Metcalfe big station kit is £22. 

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, 1905-1909, Boxhill was a 2-4-0T, with the front wheels smaller, but otherwise exactly like this, I think https://railsofsheffield.com/products/35694/Dapol-4s-010-001-oo-gauge-stroudley-terrier-a1-class-boxhill-improved-engine-green-0-6-0-tank-locomotive-no-82-dcc-ready

From memory, was Boxhill the one that stayed named in IEG, while the other convert blazed the umber trail?

I forget such details so quickly!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yes, it was exactly like the Rails model, bar smaller front wheels.

I don't know how the chassis and drive fits together on those models - hope to goodness they aren't driven via the front axle, because that would mean you'd have to build and paint a kit (while we all watch).

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, it was exactly like the Rails model, bar smaller front wheels.

I don't know how the chassis and drive fits together on those models - hope to goodness they aren't driven via the front axle, because that would mean you'd have to build and paint a kit (while we all watch).

Well, apart from the fact that she would almost certainly have lost her condensing pipes by 1905, but, yes otherwise exactly so.

Just checked the model; rear axle driven

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, if there are any left. And they're quite expensive. And, annoyingly, I don't get a discount!

For such a compact site, there's a helluvalotta track (1909 survey):

129490178_1909Survey.jpg.a37590413f9d4ac2add9e54f45ab0c83.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
7 hours ago, brianusa said:

They sure crammed a lot in a small space, but no crossovers to release an engine?

Brian.

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Don't forget you'd have to model this:

http://kemp-town-railway.yolasite.com/4-way-point.php

Yes, given that point construction is my own personal modelling nightmare ......

While there are a number of Edwardian locomotive portraits snapped at Kemp Town, most general views are from much more modern times on the basis that things get photographed extensively only when they are about to pass from sight forever.

I found 2-3 early views for sale as postcards and bought a couple last night.  This one might go someway to addressing Brian's point (no pun intended) and provides something else unpleasant to build ...

s-l1600.jpg.e8d45a32a6919b73248285a6296a97c6.jpg

It shows the scene pre-1905 with loco-hauled stock and, so, is all the more interesting for that, given that the problem Brian identifies largely falls away once push-pull services are introduced.

Here it seems the coaches have been set back in order to enable the locomotive to use the points, which are now set for her to reverse onto the centre road.

Presumably she must reverse all the way into the tunnel mouth in order to run round the train.  

Below is a later view, in motor train days, which I deem to be likely to be post WW1, with the same track arrangement in place. 

Kemp-Town-Railway-Station-Photo-Lewes-Road-and.jpg.70732c52f3991ce4320fc6fb6d7b1cef.jpg

Choosing the Edwardian period would allow the layout to run both relatively short trains of Stroudley stock (five coaches) with IEG Terrers or Ds, the early 1905 push-pull with the 2-4-0T Terriers and trailer, and 0-6-0T umber Terriers and trailer,   In addition, there seem to be reasonable coal and goods facilities to justify goods traffic.  Perhaps we might see Es?

Thus, we solve the 'Ashburton Problem'; how to make a small prototype BLT with limited traffic interesting without introducing unprototypical trains. My preferred solution is to run a series of overlapping trains reflecting the evolving stock on the line over time.  The limitation is that stations tend to change at least as often as the stock that served them, so the span of years over which your parade of trains can appear can be limited by changes to track or facilities that may occur.

Kemp Town seems to suit the idea well because a single, short, span of years either side of 1905 would given you all the variety of change in trains that you needed.  This is because the change from conventional loco-hauled stock to motor trains and the change in livery from IEG/Goods Green to umber/black coincided it (as exemplified by the different appearance of the two 1905 Terrier 2-4-0T conversions):

- Pre-1905 passenger: IEG Terrier and IEG D with five Stroudley coaches

- 1905 passenger: IEG 2-4-0T Boxhill and Umber 2-4-0T No.81 with Balloon Trailer

- Post-1905 passenger: Umber 0-6-0T Terriers and Balloon Trailer

- E Tanks in Goods Green and in lined black for overlapping pre and post 1905 livery.

Thus, I reckon you could easily justify 8 tank engines, 2 passenger trains and as much variety in goods vehicles as you would want.    

Now, having a model of the main station buildings on the way in the post does not a model railway layout make - it's rather like saying I expect to be a lion tamer because I have my own hat that says 'Lion Tamer'*, but I have long wanted a slice of the Brighton, but never settled on a locale.  This purchase at least settles things (or will if the model arrives safely).

Rather like Barnstaple Town, the slice of the South Western I have decided upon, I can make incremental gains in that direction against the day I can contemplate a layout.  

Edited by Edwardian
spelling and grammar
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1

Personally, I would do what others have done before: condense the goods facilities to make a manageable-sized scene.

There were a hoofing lot of long sidings, yon which, in model terms, next door to nothing happened.

One model inspired by it is called East Brighton, but the area also has/had a third name that I can’t recall just now.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Personally, I would do what others have done before: condense the goods facilities to make a manageable-sized scene.

There were a hoofing lot of long sidings, yon which, in model terms, next door to nothing happened.

Yes, contemplating the map, I was rapidly coming to that conclusion .... 

1418663818_25inch1909survey-Copy.jpg.7cb0bb4b33d98aa42255472679edef95.jpg

• Like 4