17 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Today is our first snow-free day for a week.

It is also our first day with post for a week, save a parcel I managed to get hold of when I took matters into my own hands and went to the depot, and some letters my neighbour (a postman) retrieved by going in during his week off.   

The chap on our round (the one bad apple, I am told, in what I can attest is a generally excellent barrel) is apparently working to rule.  My parcel tracking information has consistently claimed that our "property is inaccessible", which was tosh.

The first day, when the snow was thickest, perhaps. I'd even overlook the second day (when the Estate electrician, nevertheless got up and down the lane in a van that was "not very good in the snow", but after that, no excuse.  My neighbour, who has a van just like the Post office vans (just older and more knackered) has been getting up and down fine.  As has a visitor of mine in an ordinary car. None of these vehicles were 4-wheel drive. Most of them fairly snow-incapable front wheel-drive vans.   

As my neighbour pointed out, if it had been him and he really couldn't get down the lane, he'd have parked at the top and walked the 600 yards rather than leave three properties without post for a week.

So, I have composed a ditty in honour of our current lead-swinger of a Postman:

The Postie in charge of our round
Is afraid of some snow on the ground
So lily his liver
He fails to deliver
For a week at a time, we have found

Anyway, one of the parcels I finally received today contained a rather nice Class H. 

She runs well and my thanks go to Turbosnail of this Parish for an excellent job.  I hope he will forgive me if I change the livery to W Worsdell lined Saxony green in due course. I have a Class 290 to back-date and repaint in the same livery, so they can go to the paint shop together at some point.  

20210215_153703.jpg.ecf0d1ed57591a1cfda127d556d1a6dc.jpg

1960043151_NERClassHNo_1310.jpg.8a90393479752c31f6bb51f1aacdc7ca.jpg

If a Class H was good enough for passenger trains on the North Sunderland Rly, the WNR can similarly show an apparent disregard for BoT regulations regarding 0-4-0T engines and passenger trains. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, CKPR said:

If a Class H was good enough for passenger trains on the North Sunderland Rly, the WNR can similarly show an apparent disregard for BoT regulations regarding 0-4-0T engines and passenger trains. 

True, but none would have been sold out of service by 1905!

I did, though, think of a Wizard Wheeze by which I could legitimately run any pre-Grouping loco in 1905 condition on the WNR.

The West Norfolk Railway's Half-Centenary Cavalcade!

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I did, though, think of a Wizard Wheeze by which I could legitimately run any pre-Grouping loco in 1905 condition on the WNR.

Braking trials were good for this too. Didn't we go into the Retford Trials here at some point?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Just make sure you return all of the engines after the cavalcade - https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/feb/15/rival-railway-museums-in-row-over-steam-train-ownership

Naturally I'm in the Darlington camp; the Science Museum Group's apparent determination to take No.1 away for 2025 is something that I find appalling.  Shildon was on the S&D, so it could have been worse, it could have been claimed for York, but to remove a loco that has stood preserved in Darlington for 163 years just as the Bi-Centenary rolls round is intolerable. 

Once upon a time, she was at Bank Top along with Derwent ... 

ee04b20c404277e27b44a3d20b902651.jpg.1cb23b83c7ddef44e3e29c62d1efbd0b.jpg

223466176.jpg.5f205f3e95b778fcd853448de4ff0dcf.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

She runs well and my thanks go to Turbosnail of this Parish for an excellent job.  I hope he will forgive me if I change the livery to W Worsdell lined Saxony green in due course.

Glad it (eventually) found it's way to a good home! The green will suit it much better than my blue ever would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

a rather nice Class H. 

Very nice little engine.

Does anyone know why they had that sticky-out bit at the back of the cab roof, making the cab look like a verandah? I wouldn't have though a sunshade was a priority up your way at any time of the year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Very nice little engine.

Does anyone know why they had that sticky-out bit at the back of the cab roof, making the cab look like a verandah? I wouldn't have though a sunshade was a priority up your way at any time of the year.

I have often wondered about that.  I assume the designer had rain, not sun, in mind, though I suspect the overhang was scant compensation for the open cab-back, particularly when running in reveverse.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Probably it was done because the cab was open backed above the waist. If the cab did have a rear spectacle plate, it would feel like you couldn’t swing a cat inside with the space there was, and having a square cut roof would leave the back very exposed.

on the subject of weather, I’m with C. Hamilton Ellis

FC072743-61F0-47B4-AB60-26F3C88CB7AF.jpeg.556bf42bea61eea9cff8f09b84a36ec1.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Northroader said:

Probably it was done because the cab was open backed above the waist. If the cab did have a rear spectacle plate, it would feel like you couldn’t swing a cat inside with the space there was, and having a square cut roof would leave the back very exposed.

on the subject of weather, I’m with C. Hamilton Ellis

FC072743-61F0-47B4-AB60-26F3C88CB7AF.jpeg.556bf42bea61eea9cff8f09b84a36ec1.jpeg

One of my favourite books. Time to read it again methinks.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Naturally I'm in the Darlington camp; the Science Museum Group's apparent determination to take No.1 away for 2025 is something that I find appalling.  Shildon was on the S&D, so it could have been worse, it could have been claimed for York, but to remove a loco that has stood preserved in Darlington for 163 years just as the Bi-Centenary rolls round is intolerable. 

Once upon a time, she was at Bank Top along with Derwent ... 

ee04b20c404277e27b44a3d20b902651.jpg.1cb23b83c7ddef44e3e29c62d1efbd0b.jpg

223466176.jpg.5f205f3e95b778fcd853448de4ff0dcf.jpg

I write from a different perspective, being a volunteer at the 'Locomotion' in Shildon.

Yes, Locomotion No.1 has been on display in Darlington since 1857 (North Road/Bank Top/'Head of Steam').

However, Shildon was the engineering centre of the original 1825 railway.

There is a lot of educational and cultural benefit that could be brought out from the current level of interest

The public debate on this issue has, as seems to have become regrettably normal in 'Brexit Britain' been extremely politicised, ill-informed, and abusive.

It has reached the level of rape threats being made.

The only reason I post this here is to appeal to people, who like yourself have higher standards, to attempt to reduce some of this horrific language.

I have monitored some of the product of MPs, Councillors, Mayors, (and even it is rumoured the Prime Minister), some (not all) of the Facebook content, and some discussion with friends in Darlington.

The following might amuse you.

Locomotion is not Rocket, and did not take part in the Rainhill Trials

Locomotion was not built in Darlington Locomotive Works (the later were constructed in the early 1850s.) Locomotion was, of course, built in Newcastle.

It is not in 'original condition' (what surviving locomotive ever is.) : replaced wheels, boiler at least twice, 'much broke' in 1839.

It has never been owned or 'gifted to' Darlington Borough Council.

(It's ownership is clear, S&D, NER, (it was leased for a while to one of the Pease companies, but reverted to the S&D on termination of the lease), LNER, BTC and thus to the National Collection now in the stewardship of the SMG. It us currently on loan to DBC, and the agreed period of loan expires this year.)

There is also of course much more mis-information to be corrected  about the S&D.

Despite the name, it was really the Whitton Park (SW of Bishop Auckland) to Stockton Railway.

Darlington (in 1825) was effectively bypassed to the north, although much of the investment came from there, and from Yarm.

Locomotion was placed on the rails at Heighington. That evening it hauled the S&D Committee (never 'Directors' for the S&D) from Shildon to Darlington Depot, using one of the passenger coaches named 'Experiment'. The following day it hauled the justly celebrated opening train from Shildon to Stockton.

Those were (sorry Boris) almost certainly the only times it hauled what could be called a passenger train.

There is much more about Locomotion and Shildon and the S&D which is of interest. Head of Steam has very good displays on this.

I have a small project to go through the S&D Acts of Parliament - upon which I might ask Mr Edwardian for comment.

However, whatever your loyalties or interests in this matter, please do all you can to reduce the horrific language currently being used against my colleagues in SMG/Railway Museum/Locomotion.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, drmditch said:

I write from a different perspective, being a volunteer at the 'Locomotion' in Shildon.

Yes, Locomotion No.1 has been on display in Darlington since 1857 (North Road/Bank Top/'Head of Steam').

However, Shildon was the engineering centre of the original 1825 railway.

There is a lot of educational and cultural benefit that could be brought out from the current level of interest

The public debate on this issue has, as seems to have become regrettably normal in 'Brexit Britain' been extremely politicised, ill-informed, and abusive.

It has reached the level of rape threats being made.

The only reason I post this here is to appeal to people, who like yourself have higher standards, to attempt to reduce some of this horrific language.

I have monitored some of the product of MPs, Councillors, Mayors, (and even it is rumoured the Prime Minister), some (not all) of the Facebook content, and some discussion with friends in Darlington.

The following might amuse you.

Locomotion is not Rocket, and did not take part in the Rainhill Trials

Locomotion was not built in Darlington Locomotive Works (the later were constructed in the early 1850s.) Locomotion was, of course, built in Newcastle.

It is not in 'original condition' (what surviving locomotive ever is.) : replaced wheels, boiler at least twice, 'much broke' in 1839.

It has never been owned or 'gifted to' Darlington Borough Council.

(It's ownership is clear, S&D, NER, (it was leased for a while to one of the Pease companies, but reverted to the S&D on termination of the lease), LNER, BTC and thus to the National Collection now in the stewardship of the SMG. It us currently on loan to DBC, and the agreed period of loan expires this year.)

There is also of course much more mis-information to be corrected  about the S&D.

Despite the name, it was really the Whitton Park (SW of Bishop Auckland) to Stockton Railway.

Darlington (in 1825) was effectively bypassed to the north, although much of the investment came from there, and from Yarm.

Locomotion was placed on the rails at Heighington. That evening it hauled the S&D Committee (never 'Directors' for the S&D) from Shildon to Darlington Depot, using one of the passenger coaches named 'Experiment'. The following day it hauled the justly celebrated opening train from Shildon to Stockton.

Those were (sorry Boris) almost certainly the only times it hauled what could be called a passenger train.

There is much more about Locomotion and Shildon and the S&D which is of interest. Head of Steam has very good displays on this.

I have a small project to go through the S&D Acts of Parliament - upon which I might ask Mr Edwardian for comment.

However, whatever your loyalties or interests in this matter, please do all you can to reduce the horrific language currently being used against my colleagues in SMG/Railway Museum/Locomotion.

All fair enough and points well made. I remain in the Darlington camp, however.

I have not come across the abuse you mention, so I'm naturally concerned and appalled to learn of it.

I am aware of the legal position, but that, for me, is not the point. I believe Lord Elgin made a legal purchase of the Parthenon marbles, but the debate concerning them is hardly quelled by that.

I'm afraid the optics are just bad for the SMG, seen as flexing its muscles against the will of the community where the locomotive has had pride of place for generations.  Organisations such as the SMG, highly bureaucratic and replete with policies and procedures, can often seem insensitive at such times, largely, I suspect, because their nature makes them so. I believe that, tied up in countless assessments and meetings by which such organisations show to themselves that they are right, they can often simply miss the important or obvious point. Here that point is that this move will be deeply unpopular and deeply unfair. 

The heat and abuse you speak of illustrates the strength of local feeling, which suggests to me that this is a fight the SMG cannot win, even if it wins in the sense of removing the exhibit from Darlington. That will simply leave a very bad taste behind it.  That said, heat and abuse such as you have described is clearly abhorrent and cannot possibly be justified by any view of the rights or wrongs, neither can it be excused by the degree of passion engendered by SMG's plans.  I'm afraid I just don't come across the sort of people who would behave like this, but, certainly would discourage it if I did.  I am happy to condemn it here.

P.S. Happy to help with the project. I'm supposed to be involved in a history of the Darlington  and Barnard Castle Railway for the NERS, so perhaps it's time we put our heads together.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Can't the loco be "paraded in state" from D to S and back again, on a low-loader, accompanied by lots of brass bands and bunting? Speeches and junketings at each end, free beer for all, that sort of thing.

Failing that, a "tug-of-love", in which a strong rope is attached to each end of it, and the citizens of the respective towns pull for all they are worth.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Regularity said:

Am I missing something here? That's not Locomotion No. 1.

The one in the Darlington coat of arms is clearly intended to be Locomotion No. 1 (I haven't looked up the blazon), built at R. Stephenson & Co.'s Newcastle factory.

Shildon AFC display Timothy Hackworth's Royal George. Was that built in Shildon?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The one in the Darlington coat of arms is clearly intended to be Locomotion No. 1 (I haven't looked up the blazon), built at R. Stephenson & Co.'s Newcastle factory.

Shildon AFC display Timothy Hackworth's Royal George. Was that built in Shildon?

I had come to the same conclusion.

Royal George is the appropriate choice for Shildon, because I believe that it was, indeed, built in Shildon by Hackworth at the Soho Works.  It might have been the first loco built there, but I'd have to look that up.

I agree that Darlington's arms intend to display No.1.  The Borough Council (pictured) and similar Borough arms were modern grants, for a pre-Grouping take, again with I believe an intended depiction of No.1, see below

Darlington_wb3.jpg.2b50e231acae7acc639ce9ae73506d87.jpg

P.S. If SMG wants something special and Stockton & Darlington related for Shildon in 2021, I can think of a better use of its resources than alienating the population of Darlington: commission a replica of Royal George!

2044187621_RoyalGeorge.jpg.e3e91c1f6c90ec7bb7789ac55ea86f81.jpg

If not, I believe the National Collection includes a couple of models of Royal George, including one said to be by Hackworth himself.

You don't celebrate the bi-centenary of the Stockton & Darlington by p1ssing off Darlington, if you've got any decency or common sense, that is.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Failing that, a "tug-of-love", in which a strong rope is attached to each end of it, and the citizens of the respective towns pull for all they are worth.

I fear that the  judgement of Solomon would be the end result of such a contest...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I haven't looked up the blazon

Easier and quicker than I thought.

Grant of 1974: "on a Chief Argent a representation of the Steam Engine "Locomotion" and a Tender proper."

"Proper" is a technical word in heraldry meaning in its natural colour - like "eigen" in eigenfunction, for the quantum mechanics in the audience. 

I note the borough's motto: optima petamus "let us seek the best". Which they are doing, it would appear, having given up on floreat industria "may industry flourish".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"Proper" is a technical word in heraldry meaning in its natural colour - like "eigen" in eigenfunction, for the quantum mechanics in the audience. 

Or in eigenvalue in factor analysis, for the statisticians, psychologists and dating agencies in the audience.

(“Understanding atomic physics is child’s play compared to understanding child’s play.” - Albert Einstein.)

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Not much to report. Most of my spare time (not extensive) has been devoted to Rails.  The early version SE&CR covered wagons are finally on their way, so pictures when I receive mine.  These  represent a 1909 batch, IIRC, so even those  in Wainwright livery are too modern for CA!  There is more to follow from Rails, however, so watch this space.

I need to get back to the F Class and to lubricate the Dean Single, and I will, but what little time I've snatched for my own modelling has been devoted to developing the design for the WNR's own fleet of coaches.

In the meantime, NER musings.

I'd like an Class E 0-6-0T (LNER J71) at some point. Departing from my preference for the pre-1904 NER (when even goods and mineral engines were green), I'd like one in lined black.  The reason is that this would be a suitable type to run alongside the NER Petrol Electric Autocar in its 1909 configuration.  These are said to be due in April. 

So, the question is, is there a suitable RTR donor chassis out there?  I'm not aware of one. 

NER Class E 0-6-0T: Coupled wheels, 4’7 ¼”; wheelbase, 6’6” + 7’2”  

The wheel configuration is not the same as the E1 (J72), but is close enough to the Class 44 (a small class of Northern Division shunters) that, should I find a suitable donor chassis for an E Class, it could also serve for a 44 should I decide I want one of them.

NER Class 44 0-6-0T: Coupled wheels, 4’7 ¼” ; wheelbase, 6’6” + 7’1”  

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...