• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I cannot say for sure, as there don't seem to be many photos of cranes being adjusted in operation, but on those that didn't have derricking cables, which made things easier, there was usually some form of adjustable mechanism, such as the Meccano version, or a sliding type as on adjustable trestles, with pins to secure the shaft in position.  I think that the change would be made by taking the lifting hook up to the pulley, or attaching it to a hook lower down the jib, and then using the lifting chains to lift the jib a touch to release any catches, then raising or lowering the jib as necessary, and then replacing the catches when at the required height. All of this would be done without any load, and when rotated to miss any intervening objects.

I had to think about that a bit, and it makes sense.

There appears to be a loop below the pulley at the end of the jib. I wonder if that was used for thus process?

More coaches... 

I've had a re-think concerning the Hornby generics as Stroudleys.  

My first thoughts were ..... 

My second thoughts were that I'd give it a go, and it turned out to be a piece of cake:

20210327_183247.jpg.0fa6491a226076ac8dbd79eb64d50a7c.jpg

The end quarter light is now full width and, as if by magic (but in fact a 1mm drill bit), the extraneous end panel has disappeared. 

The cosmetic touching up required before re-glazing is almost de minimis.

Gone also are the GW style curly commode handles, and it should be relatively easy to fill the top holes and cover with a blob of paint. I'm thinking bent wire might be best way to made the long Brighton style commode handles (the etched Roxey ones I have, but, of course, are rather flat).

Then, the to-do list is:

- Replace the awful buffers with cast Stroudley pattern from 5 and 9 Models; 

- Replace the odd Marsh axleboxes with cast Stroudley pattern from 5 and 9 Models; 

- Fabricate proper foot boards and fish them to the base of the solebars

- Carve off the horrid moulded lamp irons on the coach ends

- Improve the oil lamp tops and re-position the bungs

- Paint the wheel centres

- Add couplings and side chains 

-EDIT: Of course, lower footboards for the guard's compt.

Then I should have a Stroudley Brake Third coach, accurate in both dimensions and detail.

Something to go with the 'Billinton' 6-wheel lav. composite I'm hoping Hattons will soon supply. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

James,

Very nice work on the Stroudley's, there are some improvement kits coming for them in the future, and you might find some things to be easier to do if you drop @ianmaccormac a message, as he has been hard at work playing with improving them, I plan on covering all this is a video to follow up my previous one soon (as well as mentioning some things I somehow managed to miss off my notes last time, probably because of them being handwritten and messy).

You'll find some pictures of his work on his blog here: https://ianmaccormacmodels.blogspot.com/2021/03/Hornby-4-wheeler-accessorising.html lots of things to make these better Stroudley carriages.

Gary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

17 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

James,

Very nice work on the Stroudley's, there are some improvement kits coming for them in the future, and you might find some things to be easier to do if you drop @ianmaccormac a message, as he has been hard at work playing with improving them, I plan on covering all this is a video to follow up my previous one soon (as well as mentioning some things I somehow managed to miss off my notes last time, probably because of them being handwritten and messy).

You'll find some pictures of his work on his blog here: https://ianmaccormacmodels.blogspot.com/2021/03/Hornby-4-wheeler-accessorising.html lots of things to make these better Stroudley carriages.

Gary

That would make life even easier!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 22:56, Edwardian said:

What I would like for CA is a couple of those GN o/s frame covered wagons.  

It's interesting to see what's been bid on and what not - the D307 drop-side sleeper wagon has attracted a couple of bids but the D306 fixed side one none. In general I think the default £15.99 starting price is more than the intrinsic worth of many of the items - certainly the Slaters Midland wagons, which can be had as new kits for £9 without wheels, bearings, and couplings (unless you like the supplied tension locks) - say £13 complete including amortisation of solvent and paint. And they're wrongly built.

On 26/03/2021 at 09:58, Compound2632 said:

Yes; I'm imagining pre-roped loads, with crane used both for loading and unloading. 

I haven't found any photo or record of a photo that might show a wagon in use.

Have now, in Midland Wagons too [Plate 72a]. Two of the drop-side variety, in a Hereford-Brecon goods train at Talyllyn Junction, c. 1892-3 (so from Lot 273 of 1891). One is loaded up close-packed with 9 ft sleepers stacked lengthways, I think short side up, and with no roping or other clever solutions. The other is loaded with ca. 20 ft-long baulks, perhaps point timbers, leaning over one end. They can't be far off the full 8 tons, demonstrating how stoutly-built these wagons were!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Help required, please.

You will recall that proper 1870s coaches (as running c.1905) are being designed for the WNR.

This is the body:

731934097_JH202.jpg.03b63b1816bccad64cfaf539f0264921.jpg.75222a1fb39870c24b73b1f079f40a50.jpg

We now turn to matters beneath the solebar and I would be profoundly grateful for comments and criticisms of the arrangements as drawn so far:

1043484456_image002(3).png.400fa4ba3c0345e428e0952b108596f4.png

image008.png.de2f1d7b7b4251c95e8ffe90494b8a09.png

image020.png.9a62c15c7b74a6f587d702e4a7847c71.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The arrangement drawn is, I believe, functionally correct, except that, pace @Nearholmer, the yoke linkage is not free-floating but neither is it supported at a fixed point; rather, it's supported on a link that is pivoted off a bracket attached to the end longitudinal. The pivot point of the lever connecting the yokes to the pull rod has to be able to move in order for the distance of travel of the blocks to be self-equalising. I think the V-hanger extends down too far - whilst on goods vehicles with manual brakes the cross-shaft is at axle level, on vehicles with clasp brakes it's generally higher up, as the long pull-rods are above axle height at their outer ends. As drawn, the pull rod on the right comes down too low and at too great an angle - not helped by the tumbler being on the big side. See PM.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone

I discovered today something I had hitherto missed; KR Models has announced an intention to produce the Haydock Foundry's Bellerophon

Bellerophon_by_stumm47_d1myo9m-fullview.jpg.2fff721d0a522fb0b488a11b44ecd6fb.jpg

It strikes me that this is an ideal locomotive for the Norfolk Minerals Railway.

(and how wonderful that it's painted in Eastern & Midland Ry livery!)

IAs these locos were purposely built on site by a colliery system for its own use, I just need to work out  a connection between the Haydock Foundry and the Norfolk Minerals in order to explain why they got one! 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Edwardian said:

As these locos were purposely built on site by a colliery system for its own use, I just need to work out  a connection between the Haydock Foundry and the Norfolk Minerals in order to explain why they got one! 

Morphic resonance.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, everyone

I discovered today something I had hitherto missed; KR Models has announced an intention to produce the Haydock Foundry's Bellerophon

Bellerophon_by_stumm47_d1myo9m-fullview.jpg.2fff721d0a522fb0b488a11b44ecd6fb.jpg

It strikes me that this is an ideal locomotive for the Norfolk Minerals Railway.

(and how wonderful that it's painted in Eastern & Midland Ry livery!)

IAs these locos were purposely built on site by a colliery system for its own use, I just need to work out  a connection between the Haydock Foundry and the Norfolk Minerals in order to explain why they got one! 

That is one handsome looking loco...

It must surely have travelled to various interested organisations for trials, to ascertain it's possible suitability for purchase.    :devil:...  :girldevil:...   :devil:...

...   and it would attract so much attention, away from those really minor brushstroke mishaps.....   :jester::jester::jester:

Julian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 22:56, Edwardian said:

What I would like for CA is a couple of those GN o/s frame covered wagons.  

Did you have any joy there? I just looked on in stupefaction. Interesting to see what went and what didn't, though.

34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Did you have any joy there? I just looked on in stupefaction. Interesting to see what went and what didn't, though.

I checked the GN project stash and realised that I already had one ...

20210402_104534.jpg.97c5feb5eba97844f75e78127b1fbd8a.jpg

However, I did indulge myself with this

s-l1600.jpg.cd635cfc2d58ba0ff6fae23572f32eee.jpg

Because I think it's intended to be this

20210402_105810.jpg.b91da4dbabae6eb5ef97e380b9f1f505.jpg

As built, this SER merchandise open had low curved ends, but, says Bixley et al, by 1898 some had been subject to an unusual conversion whereby drop-flat doors were added at the ends.  So, it will be interesting to see the ends of the wagon when it arrives. The sides, however, are consistent with the modification (no corner plates and a suggestion of the replacement strapping, which interfaced with the end door catches). 

I would change the livery to conform with the drawing, which is based on "a distant view at Paddock Wood" c.1910. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Interesting. I wonder what the provenance is. It's not in the 2005 (final) D&S list. (How I wish I'd been lest tight-fisted at exhibitions in the late 90s / early 00s.)

It's certainly an unusual prototype and I wondered if it might have been scratch-built.  Did anyone make a SR Dia.1333 kit, which is what the open merchandise original wagon was?

Wish I'd not been drunk in a City wine bar in the late 90s / early 00s, but there you are! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Wish I'd not been drunk in a City wine bar in the late 90s / early 00s,

That made me chuckle, a lot.

We mostly got drunk at Canary Wharf, but sometimes used to go to the pub/wine bar at Minories (I think it might actually be called 'The Minories'), so we were possibly drunk in proximity. That period convinced me that excessive consumption is not my sport, and I gradually swore-off the grog, to the degree where I have barely touched it in c15 years., and when I have I've regretted it deeply.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

They have form on chocolate engines, I gather.

I've got a chocolate engine, but its heading for the breakers yard shortly...

ChoccyEngine.jpg.bc88a2ed120353e2d2ba57ebf409025d.jpg

I know it doesn't look especially UK outline, but it is Belgian!

• Like 5
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The thing that comes across most strongly when looking at pictures of Stroudley coaches, and even the real things close-up, is how fine everything is, how incredibly light-weight they look, and these don’t - they look too substantial.

That is a general 00 thing. Comparing my models of 19th century wagons with photographs of 19th century goods trains, especially ones on embankments with daylight behind (I'm thinking of a couple taken on the Lickey), it's striking just how spindly the real thing looks - on the models, wheels, axleguards, brake gear is all too chunky. One might do a bit better in P4. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've deleted my post.

On reflection, it seems wrong to moan at Edwardian, in his thread, about something that really isn't his fault, if indeed its an avoidable fault at all.

Wrong side of bed and all that.

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7