2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Yeah, but your August is like our February…

While ours, of course, is like April ......... well, April most years, although last year April was like early September, whereas this year it was like late February.

You don't think there's something going on with the climate, do you?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not that I can be all like superior sitting  here in the Australian  sunshine given the forecast here today is for 80mm of rain...

No longer a forecast...

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Yeah, but your August is like our February…

...but better.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Not that I can be all like superior sitting  here in the Australian  sunshine given the forecast here today is for 80mm of rain...

At least it will be warm rain (compared to ours!).

Jim

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

You've all been having the sort of holiday we've just had. Tarn Hows answered the above descriptions of moist atmosphere exactly. We headed east for one of our finer days:

1543721673_EgglestoneAbbey.JPG.931f2d59ef610769e9e464a43e5fe88d.JPG

English Heritage are not wrong in describing Egglestone Abbey, looking down on the Tees, as an excellent spot for a picnic. We went on to Barnard Castle, visiting the castle, which I'd not done before. The North American on tickets had his patter well honed, excusing the lack of guide books on the increase in visitor numbers since Dominic Cummings' infamous trip - they'll be putting a statue up to him in the Horse Market before long!

The statue in the Horse Market had better not be too realistically crafted, lest all the local rose garden enthusiasts get at it with their shovels.....      :stinker:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

While ours, of course, is like April ......... well, April most years, although last year April was like early September, whereas this year it was like late February.

You don't think there's something going on with the climate, do you?

Thats global calendar warming.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Thats global calendar warming.

I tried that, but merely set fire to the calendar. 

Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

(Or does that apply to the climate-change deniers who generally happen to not be scientists?)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2021 at 21:13, Regularity said:

If it’s raining in Coniston, you can’t see The Old Man.

If you can see The Old Man of Coniston, then it’s going to rain…

That is used for all sorts of places. Not sure which one is the original or whether it repeatedly occurs to people. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Donw said:

That is used for all sorts of places. Not sure which one is the original or whether it repeatedly occurs to people. 

... because it occurs in all sorts of places. I'm not so convinced by the Coniston version - in my experience it's always raining there - and Coniston is on the lee side of the Old Man, whereas it works better for places on the windward side of the hills, such as Manchester.

Cotton spinning took off in Lancashire whereas Yorkshire stuck to wool because cotton, being brittle, needs moist conditions for spinning. On the occasional dry days in Manchester (again, myself, I've never experienced one) pails of water would be spilt out over the mill floors in an attempt to keep the humidity up. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

On the occasional dry days in Manchester (again, myself, I've never experienced one) 

When I lived in Manchester, I recall a day when sun stopped play at Old Trafford. 

The rest of the time, however ..... 

0_manchester-rain-IMG_0637-MEN.jpg.3a89a4161a2867938bc4247664a17319.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

On 24/08/2021 at 06:41, monkeysarefun said:

Well down here in overcast Melbourne it's bloody cold and trying to rain and we're still locked down. And the daily COVID press conference from the State Government just had to relocate from the Parliamentary gardens inside to a dry spot.

There that's your daily dose of misery - :rtfm:

• Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well down here in overcast Melbourne it's bloody cold and trying to rain and we're still locked down. And the daily COVID press conference from the State Government just had to relocate from the Parliamentary gardens inside to a dry spot.

There that's your daily dose of misery - :rtfm:

You see I love bad weather.  I miss it when starved of it. When I lived in the Caribbean, there were days when the blue sky went grey and violent wind and rain squalls rolled into the harbour. I loved those days. 

Trouble is, it was still warm, so I'd set the office AC to max, and, shivering in front of my office picture window, I'd look out and the dark skies, the wind, the rain and think, 'Ah, almost home'.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I spent two weeks in Manchester for work, and it only rained on one day, when I say rain, it poured down.  They all said how lucky I was as it was never that dry.  One lady, who was brought up in Yorkshire, told me that when she lived in London she actually missed the rain.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Really bad weather is wonderful, and includes the joy of being out in it followed by successfully escaping from it!

I suppose I'm just an old-fashioned sturm und drang* romantic; as Kant wrote, there's the beautiful, of course, but, then, there's the sublime!

Mind you, these days there's generally just the ridiculous, so....

320897305_TheStorm.jpeg.3e0c2257cb6c96340cebd07a694cdde4.jpeg

* in my case, more Haydn than Swedish Heavy Metal, but, still ....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Really bad weather is wonderful, and includes the joy of being out in it followed by successfully escaping from it!

I suppose I'm just an old-fashioned sturm und drang* romantic; as Kant wrote, there's the beautiful, of course, but, then, there's the sublime!

Mind you, these days there's generally just the ridiculous, so....

320897305_TheStorm.jpeg.3e0c2257cb6c96340cebd07a694cdde4.jpeg

* in my case, more Haydn than Swedish Heavy Metal, but, still ....

Is the bloke in the red top (centre) throwing the woman back INTO the sea?

• Funny 4

57 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I take him to be a married man, who appreciates that such opportunities are all too rare.

Two friends who haven't seen one another for a long time meet in the street:

'I hear you lost your wife recently, Bill.  That must have been hard.'

'Hard, Alec, it's damn near impossible!'

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I had a friend who came from the Isle of Lewis, the far side of Lewis.  He arrived at the house where I was on a January day when it was -4 deg C, wearing sandals, (I think he had a coat , trousers and other clothes as well)< and exclaimed, "Och, Its a lovely day today."

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 4

Years ago, I did one of those exercises of questionable usefulness while on a course at a management college. We did a low-grade night hike, then camped, then I had to organise the search of a tract of forest to find “a downed parachutist”. Excellent fun, except for the two guys from a fisheries company on Lake Victoria, who had never experienced temperatures like it (about 10 degC). They were rapidly turning very dark blue, so we built a big bonfire at the camp, and I swear that they actually slept in it, rather than beside it. The Scots and Irish were, naturally, wandering about in their undies round the camp (this including a lady from RBS!).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

At the time when we had a couple of very bad winters (2012/3?) we were having telephone problems and the engineer who came was drafted up from London.  He was complaining how cold it was (-6°C at around 11:00hrs).  'That's T-shirt and shorts weather' I told him.  'Try the -23 we had a few weeks back!'

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 3