2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

That is a genuine concept sketch from the period, plus a modern build of the suit based on the original drawings.

The handle on the front being an airlock, if I remember correctly. Not entirely sure why they felt that was necessary!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

The handle on the front being an airlock, if I remember correctly. Not entirely sure why they felt that was necessary!

Well, you can never be sure when the last tube of Baked Bean roughage substitute will give vent to it's origins.....   :stinker:

• Funny 4

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I suppose the thinking was that contracts would go to NBL or Beyer-Peacock...

The bit I always like about the concept drawing, which I have shown before, is the army surplus camp bed, with carefully folded blankets. How would all that work in zero gravity? Let alone how one would manage to sleep while wearing an upturned coal scuttle.

I do like the electrical installation though, which I'm sure is modelled on some big old substation battery chargers that I used to have dealings with.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The bit I always like about the concept drawing, which I have shown before, is the army surplus camp bed, with carefully folded blankets. How would all that work in zero gravity? Let alone how one would manage to sleep while wearing an upturned coal scuttle.

The station can be arranged to spin at an appropriate rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This spinning stations thing, does that mean that the whole station turns round so that the train is ready to leave again without the loco having to run round?  Or have I missed something

Jim (also bemused)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

This spinning stations thing, does that mean that the whole station turns round so that the train is ready to leave again without the loco having to run round? 

Commonly used for fiddle yards in 2 mm I gather; @Ian Smith's Modbury being a notable example I saw in the flesh recently.

4 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Or have I missed something

Yes, but I'm increasingly unsure what.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For the benefit of the bemused, the shiny figure posted by Regularity is a Cylon (specifically a Cylon Centurion), one of the Artificial Intelligence robotic antagonists from the 2004 Battlestar Galactica show, disparagingly referred to as "toasters" by the human crew of the ship Battlestar Galactica. 

A recurring theme is "All of this has happened before and will happen again".

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2