• RMweb Premium
On 16/03/2022 at 13:41, Edwardian said:

If all goes well, sometime on Thursday morning I might be able to start my Wednesday. Hopefully I can can the tenancy sorted tomorrow evening.

On 16/03/2022 at 13:45, Nearholmer said:

Isn’t that in New Zealand?

Commiserations.

I would bring this matter to the attention of @Annie. She stated that Wednesday had been checked out on its first arrival and passed fit for use. It's a wet Wednesday here but we're forecast a run of sunny spring days from tomorrow, so I trust you'll get the same, though a degree or two cooler.

Perhaps a cheer-up photo is called for:

image.png.c6ac4514802bd675429712cc3cd05b79.png 

West Auckland station, before 1904, from Disused Stations.

Edited by Compound2632
image re-inserted
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I would bring this matter to the attention of @Annie.

Sometimes Wednesdays are known to deteriorate while in transit from our side of the world to yours.  Fussy fragile things that they are. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I would bring this matter to the attention of @Annie. She stated that Wednesday had been checked out on its first arrival and passed fit for use. It's a wet Wednesday here but we're forecast a run of sunny spring days from tomorrow, so I trust you'll get the same, though a degree or two cooler.

Perhaps a cheer-up photo is called for:

image.png.55f9cc7895445264f219974ce8bc0069.png

West Auckland station, before 1904, from Disused Stations.

Your picture is of Bishop Auckland - and the eastern side of the triangular station.

West Auckland didn't have a station of that name. It did however have a locomotive shed (in BR times 51F)

Then and now....jpg

Names do get copied around the world. Obviously there is the NZ Auckland, but from where I sit in County Durham, I am within 10 miles of Toronto and Quebec, and within 15 miles of Washington.

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm into Thursday now. Don't know why I'm up to see it though given it's a school day.

Weather report: very black, like it's night time or something.

Here's a short video of our local branchline that closed in what turned out to be a  bad year for branchlines everywhere, January 1st 1963 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Your picture is of Bishop Auckland - and the eastern side of the triangular station.

West Auckland didn't have a station of that name. It did however have a locomotive shed (in BR times 51F)

I repent at leisure.

If it wasn't so rainy I'd be tempted by the 15 minute drive to California.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

48 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Names do get copied around the world. Obviously there is the NZ Auckland, but from where I sit in County Durham, I am within 10 miles of Toronto and Quebec, and within 15 miles of Washington.

Not to mention Tantobie, which I'm sure must be a planet in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far, far, away ....

MCQ-mccruiser.jpg.a2fd28f384d559c7870e29d8200ed182.jpg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm into Thursday now. Don't know why I'm up to see it though given it's a school day.

Weather report: very black, like it's night time or something.

Here's a short video of our local branchline that closed in what turned out to be a  bad year for branchlines everywhere, January 1st 1963 

Really enjoyed that, poignant though it was. A nice mix of influences, too. The train looks like a Brit designed the engine and an American the carriage.  Likewise the station looks like a Brit built the platform and an American the station building. A sort of Oz Titfield Thunderbolt results. 

The annoyingly jolly music and insistently upbeat tone of the commentary, even as the demise of a real piece of Australian history, as it's put, is regretted, is absolutely of its time! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

My Wednesday looked fine when it arrived, but, despite careful handling, has now entirely unravelled! 

Ah, it must be one of these days:

A4E9A29B-F923-4D7C-93B2-78D5F163D4DE.jpeg.bdccca7f25e3f68b24df880846fb8dd7.jpeg

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 15/03/2022 at 14:48, Edwardian said:

but, perhaps we should survey the PM chapels of mid/north-west Norfolk?

Late on parade yet again!

I claim rights on this derelict example for my fenland 009 layout, whenever it gets resurrected.

1329035129_opsdecant047.jpg.ab233ab05ab54d24d5e98ceb8f34b924.jpg

This remote chapel was on the Downham circuit.

Needless to say it has been significantly altered since I took this photo a few years ago.

If you use Google Earth you will find a good example in Chapel Lane at Wimbotsham.

Apparently Primitive chapels were built to a standard design and dimensions according to what I read.

I think that this was stated on the Hills of the North thread on here.

Ian T

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Late on parade yet again!

I claim rights on this derelict example for my fenland 009 layout, whenever it gets resurrected.

1329035129_opsdecant047.jpg.ab233ab05ab54d24d5e98ceb8f34b924.jpg

This remote chapel was on the Downham circuit.

Needless to say it has been significantly altered since I took this photo a few years ago.

If you use Google Earth you will find a good example in Chapel Lane at Wimbotsham.

Apparently Primitive chapels were built to a standard design and dimensions according to what I read.

I think that this was stated on the Hills of the North thread on here.

Ian T

Does it have the rest of the Way of Sorrows on the other walls?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Really enjoyed that, poignant though it was. A nice mix of influences, too. The train looks like a Brit designed the engine and an American the carriage.  Likewise the station looks like a Brit built the platform and an American the station building. A sort of Oz Titfield Thunderbolt results. 

The annoyingly jolly music and insistently upbeat tone of the commentary, even as the demise of a real piece of Australian history, as it's put, is regretted, is absolutely of its time! 

The loco was  built here from a Beyer Peacock design:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_C30_class_locomotive

Do you love The Seekers? 

Really?

Well then one appears in the video of their song "Angeline is always Friday"  featuring a girl so happy to be riding on a train that she is obviously on LSD. (it was the 60's after all.) 

3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Apparently the bloke who ran the butcher shop in Bagdad Tasmania got sick of smart alec radio comedian and press types ignoring the slightly different spelling of the town name and continually  calling him up prior to the gulf war asking him why the Americans wanted to bomb him. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

My Wednesday looked fine when it arrived, but, despite careful handling, has now entirely unravelled! 

Some days start badly and get steadily worse!

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

I'm only six miles from Melbourne!

image.png.3cb64fddb9a59bb9e8120ae2767967ed.png

Jim

• Like 8

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The loco was  built here from a Beyer Peacock design:

A very handsome design.

The HRCA in Aus commissioned ETS to make tin 0 gauge models of it, a batch of which came to the U.K. for sale. I had to get really stern with myself not to buy one, because they were so nice. 

A04B5047-1ACD-4F78-95C1-D5FD5E5542D3.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not really my bag either, completely inoffensive though.

I could list hundreds of songs that I dislike a whole lot more, that others call "classic" to the point of throwing things at the radio....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not really my bag either, completely inoffensive though.

I could list hundreds of songs that I dislike a whole lot more, that others call "classic" to the point of throwing things at the radio....

There is a song in country and western twangy guitar story-telling  style called "The Camden Train" about the branchline.

Its on youtube  (two versions no less!)  but I will spare you the link,  just sayin,' -  it aint no  ACDC.

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

"He began to worry he had made a mistake during a stopover in Toronto"

Yeah, only because of the size of the next 'plane. Toronto should really have given it away.

The hero of the story was his Dad.  My kind of parenting!

“He felt really sorry for me,” he said. “He also laughed an awful lot"

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

"He began to worry he had made a mistake during a stopover in Toronto"

Yeah, only because of the size of the next 'plane. Toronto should really have given it away.

The hero of the story was his Dad.  My kind of parenting!

“He felt really sorry for me,” he said. “He also laughed an awful lot"

Dad also made sure he was there to pick-up the lad, to share the laugh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2