• RMweb Gold

MY take on it is the following 'looking between two mirrors to see infinity but my bloody head kept getting in the way' having read it somewhere I tried it it is quite tantalising you do get a sense of distance with images of yourself going away in the distance but can never see them all.

Don

The "invent your own extra bit of geography, build a layout based on it, and operate it to a timetable" school of railway modelling seems to have gone a bit out of fashion (hopefully not in West Norfolk) since the "Rice-Cameo and photo-realism" school went into the ascendant, but the redoubtable Mr John Flann of Hintock has a good article about that sort of thing in RM for January, which should remind everyone of its virtues.

I shall look forward to it.  I am fully committed to modelling those lines 'lost it the folds of the map'.

There was a Blue Peter annual that had a photo on the front cover of the then presenters holding a photo of them holding a photo of them holding a photo ... of them holding a photo.

Found it! 21868236-182-640x879.jpg

Have a Blue Peter badge!

I wonder what the other hands are doing?

I think that's one for the Prototype Questions forum.

MY take on it is the following 'looking between two mirrors to see infinity but my bloody head kept getting in the way' having read it somewhere I tried it it is quite tantalising you do get a sense of distance with images of yourself going away in the distance but can never see them all.

Don

I recall there was a cabinet, in the sense of small private apartment, in the Residenz at Munich.  It had brackets, amid the Rocco exuberance of the carvings, designed to support items in a porcelain collection, but also featured mirrors on all sides and several angles, so if one looked in certain directions, that illusion of infinity was created.

Oh, and I found a picture!

post-25673-0-53404000-1513253868_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now you're just being recursive ...

Like the computer programmer who got stuck in the shower washing his hair.

On the shampoo bottle, it said the following:

Instructions for use: lather, rinse, repeat.

Or, for cheapskates, there is a mirror-maze at Chessington World of Adventures that achieves the same, using only MDF and sticky-backed plastic.

Presumably made by Blue Peter presenters!   :jester:

Jim

Well, having let the Blue Peter meme out of the used washing-up liquid bottle, or old yoghurt-pot, in which it is usually kept, what can you expect?

I think I was traumatised by the thought of what might be happening, out of view, to Ms Singleton, because, to me she has always been a sort of youngish aunt figure, who appeared with uncle Christopher model-railway-enthusiast Trace, on those rare occasions during the early-1960s when we had a working television.

My father was a wizard at repairing valve TVs and radios, having been a WT 'mechanic' during the war, so he used to buy defunct ones from jumble sales, and nurse them back to life, but was more interested in the tinkering than the actual programmes, so we would, often as not, have several dismantled TVs, and no working one!

Anyway, I'm supposed to be busy .......

• Like 5

Wow!

That is spookily like our family gathering around to mend an old telly; glowing thermionic valves in the centre, raising long length of wire as an impromptu aerial etc.

You can see a young me at the back, with glasses, and my mother scolding one of father's pals about using a soldering-iron on the dining table.

• Like 3

Wow!

That is spookily like our family gathering around to mend an old telly; glowing thermionic valves in the centre, raising long length of wire as an impromptu aerial etc.

You can see a young me at the back, with glasses, and my mother scolding one of father's pals about using a soldering-iron on the dining table.

You paint a compelling picture of family life in those far off days.  We had a man in the village with a shop, father and son business, entirely devoted to the repair of electrical equipment.  He would come to our house quite frequently, it seemed, to repair our television.  Each time he would refuse any idea that he needed to sell us a new set.  He would repair it and pronounce that it was good for another year.  It invariably was.  If he had to take it back to the shop, he would always lend us a set.

Those were the days! 

My father was a wizard .......

My father was a Jedi ....

post-25673-0-16981800-1513269112.jpg

• Like 2

Whereas now we are a throwaway society, and it is almost impossible to get stuff repaired, unless it is still under warranty. Even then they will often replace instead.

I still think this will have a big impact on the world of model railways. There are places where you can still send your Hornby-Dublo 8F or "N2" to be repaired. I wonder whether, in fifty years, there will be people willing and or able to repair the relatively delicate models of today. I have my doubts, frankly. However, as I won't be around then, I don't suppose I'll be bothered.

I do wonder what model railways they have in the spirit world though. Probably a version of S7 where you only have to think of the prototype for it to materialise. And nothing will ever derail or burn out.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

you only have to think of the prototype for it to materialise.

That's not the spirit of S7. You're confusing it with a RTR wish-list poll.

Hell, for our host, would be a place where the manufacturers of 00 RTR had produced every pre-grouping class that survived beyond grouping, with multiple errors due to inadequate research, and none of them readily back-dateable to c. 1905 condition.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

That's not the spirit of S7. You're confusing it with a RTR wish-list poll.

Hell, for our host, would be a place where the manufacturers of 00 RTR had produced every pre-grouping class that survived beyond grouping, with multiple errors due to inadequate research, and none of them readily back-dateable to c. 1905 condition.

Hell is where you find it.  Fortunate, then, that I'm permanently banned from those topics.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Despite being ancient I have nevr knew the lack of TV as a kid. For some reason the day before I was born my father bought one a 9inch set I presume he thought having a kid would put paid to evenings go out not that there was an awful lot to watch in those days. I don't remember it ever going wrong till eventually about 11 or 12 years later he finally relented and bought one with ITV as well. There have been periods when we haven't had TV quite peasant actually .

Don

• Like 4

Despite being ancient I have nevr knew the lack of TV as a kid. For some reason the day before I was born my father bought one a 9inch set I presume he thought having a kid would put paid to evenings go out not that there was an awful lot to watch in those days. I don't remember it ever going wrong till eventually about 11 or 12 years later he finally relented and bought one with ITV as well. There have been periods when we haven't had TV quite peasant actually .

Don

As a child I was rationed to 30 minutes per day!

While I have always happily paid the licence fee, for almost a decade now we have not bothered with a TV service, simply watching what we want when it suits via the internet.

• Like 3

As a child, there was rarely more than 30 minutes a day that I wanted to watch.

By my day we had The Clangers, Noggin the Nog, Paddington, Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash, Camberwick Green, Chigley, Trumpton, Mr Benn, Bagpuss, etc, etc.

Happy days.  Just everything since that's been sh...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

By my day we had The Clangers, Noggin the Nog, Paddington, Magic Roundabout, Captain Pugwash, Camberwick Green, Chigley, Trumpton, Mr Benn, Bagpuss, etc, etc.

Yes, but at most, two of those in a day.

“It’s right to fight for what we want, for all that we believe.

It’s right to fight for want we want, to live the life we please.

As long as we have done our best, then no one can do more.

For life and love and happiness, are well worth fighting for.”

Can’t for the life of me remember anything of the plot, but I loved the theme tune!

• Like 2