Hi,

Glad to hear that your son is 'on the  mend'.

The Inspection saloon was a vehicle in regular use on several railways , one of the larger ones for was for was for Mr Webb, of the L&NWR, 

Here is a link to a photo  of the style of vehicle  https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/KB315_3198374_Qty1_3.jpg This is a large one, smaller ones are on e-ay on the web,, try 'LNWR inspection saloon', there were several designs

The Caledonian Railway used a redundant ( ex WCJS) 6 wheeler that was rebuilt for the same sort of purpose, .

A side view is on the caledonian Railway society web pages athttps://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=2412&sid=c9c13abaa8e93f348140618d5813c37f

When more space was needed (extra persons involved) the large Family saloon vehicles were used.

Peter. 

Thank you.  First link unfortunately does not seem to work.

That Caledonian vehicle is beautiful, and a superb model.  It looks rather like a family saloon.

There's a London & North Western 6-wheeled inspection saloon on the Kent & East Sussex (via Longmoor and the Severn Valley Railway).  Originally used by the District Engineer at Northampton - http://www.preservation.kesr.org.uk/coaching-stock/l-nwr

That looks rather West Norfolk to me!

The GNR had a 1912 vintage version, with verandahs each end. 

I seem to recall that the M&GN had a rather nice inspection saloon.

I cannot built one for CA, as the permanent way doesn't bear inspection!

Thank you.  First link unfortunately does not seem to work.

That Caledonian vehicle is beautiful, and a superb model.  It looks rather like a family saloon.

That looks rather West Norfolk to me!

The GNR had a 1912 vintage version, with verandahs each end. 

I seem to recall that the M&GN had a rather nice inspection saloon.

I cannot built one for CA, as the permanent way doesn't bear inspection!

Now that you've embraced etched brass, and seem to have prised some etchings out of Petr K's hands, it might be worth noting that he has the M&GNJR's Engineers' Saloon in his range, part of those that have floors and underframe details included. Whether it is actually available is another matter.

Roxey Mouldings have several LSWR directors' saloons in the Southwark Bridge Models section as well, six and eight wheelers.

• Like 4

Now that you've embraced etched brass, and seem to have prised some etchings out of Petr K's hands, it might be worth noting that he has the M&GNJR's Engineers' Saloon in his range, part of those that have floors and underframe details included. Whether it is actually available is another matter.

Roxey Mouldings have several LSWR directors' saloons in the Southwark Bridge Models section as well, six and eight wheelers.

Nick, thanks.

"Soon to embrace" might be nearer the mark.

Yes, I had noticed that the M&GN Engineers Saloon is in the list.  I did successfully order a GER 4-wheel 3-compt. Brake third and it did not take as long as I thought to arrive!

• Like 3

The Caledonian Railway used a redundant ( ex WCJS) 6 wheeler that was rebuilt for the same sort of purpose, .

That only came into use in 1902.  Before that they used this one which was an ex Greenock railway saloon.

post-25077-0-09957000-1533154397_thumb.jpg

post-25077-0-50387200-1533154419_thumb.jpg

It was numbered 2A and was hauled by Loco No. 1A

post-25077-0-70572800-1533154477_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 9

Beautiful model there, Jin.

Again, very West Norfolkly suitable.

Thanks, James. The saloon body was made from an etch shot down from one of John Boyle's 7mm kits. He did it for me after I made the model of 1A, a loco which was a 'must have' for me after I saw a photo of it.

Jim

• Like 3

Thanks, James. The saloon body was made from an etch shot down from one of John Boyle's 7mm kits. He did it for me after I made the model of 1A, a loco which was a 'must have' for me after I saw a photo of it.

Jim

I prefer the departmental saloons with verandahs, I must say, and whilst 6-wheel seems to be the norm, the, if you'll forgive the expression, 'dinky' charm of the CR 4-wheel Saloon would fit the WBR aesthetic well!

Are there published drawings, I wonder?

In the meantime, I coincidentally stumbled this morning over a lovely O Gauge model of the M&GB Saloon on the LNER Forum:

post-25673-0-33375300-1533193183.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10

I think I have a drawing, but I'm on my way to Birmingham for the weekend for the British Transplant games. I'll check when I get back and PM you.

Jim

Brilliant, Jim, thanks. 

There is no particular hurry, and I'm away for a few days shortly, so whenever convenient will be great.

Enjoy the Games!

• Like 1

Five months of reading on-and-off and I can finally say that I have got through all 451 pages of Castle Aching! :dancer:

And what a read it's been? So many tangents, so much information about things I'd never even considered! This thread had even made me brave enough to try out brass kits, in the form of David Eveleigh's GER 4 wheelers!

But most of all, it's been a pleasure to read as a layout (and its community) has grown into what it has. Truly remarkable! 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Five months of reading on-and-off and I can finally say that I have got through all 451 pages of Castle Aching! :dancer:

And what a read it's been? So many tangents, so much information about things I'd never even considered! This thread had even made me brave enough to try out brass kits, in the form of David Eveleigh's GER 4 wheelers!

But most of all, it's been a pleasure to read as a layout (and its community) has grown into what it has. Truly remarkable! 

I wonder how long before this thread overtakes Wright Writes

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how long before this thread overtakes Wright Writes

In terms of tolerance and a plurality of views, it did that a long while ago...

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 4

A la recherche des maquettes perdu?

Well that just about takes the biscuit.

Or cake.

Swan(n)s, biscuit and cake takes us straight back to Bleak Expectations, but why is Mr Gently Benevolent now appearing in The Archers

Only connect, as E M Forster once said, thus I go from Proust to Ambridge.

How is this possible?  The Memsahib claims to have the answer; cherche le train

Anyway, welcome to JamesC37LG.  Thank you very much for all the topic ratings that you have given as you worked through - I always take the time to check these and they are always greatly appreciated - and bl00dy well done for getting through it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Glad to hear the family are back home and all is well on that front James. Was a worrying time for you I am sure. (Sorry to be so late, just back from a trip to Cornwall. No trains though (my wife made sure of that), but made up for it with stunning scenery and reasonable weather.)

Good luck with the brass kit I see you have got - I really enjoyed building my first etched kit!! I cant wait to see how you progress.

Only connect, as E M Forster once said, thus I go from Proust to Ambridge.

How is this possible? The Memsahib claims to have the answer; cherche le train.

All roads (or rails) lead to Ambridge. For all conundrums in life there is a parallel to be found in Borsetshire; just change at Hollerton Junction.....

Glad to hear the family are back home and all is well on that front James. Was a worrying time for you I am sure. (Sorry to be so late, just back from a trip to Cornwall. No trains though (my wife made sure of that), but made up for it with stunning scenery and reasonable weather.)

Good luck with the brass kit I see you have got - I really enjoyed building my first etched kit!! I cant wait to see how you progress.

Hah, whereas, we're in Cornwall this week!  In a tent.

With three large, wet, dogs. 

Glad you enjoyed Cornwall.  I confess, losing the house sale just at the point I thought we were on the verge of the end of years of financial troubles has hit me quite hard and the few days off and a change of scene has probably come in the nick of time, allowing me to get the old head piece straightened out. 

I, too, was expected to go 'cold turkey' for a trainless week, but compensated by bringing some books along with a view to some SE&CR research.

The Memsahib partly relented, however, and I did snatch a blissful hour in the sunshine yesterday clanking behind a Quarry Hunslet chuffering its little heart out up a hill with 2 tram cars and 2 toast-racks, then coasting back down with her firebox door closed and a satisfied hiss.

Then, there was the book shop … Managed to find a tome on the Memsahib's ancestral railway.  I showed it to my Pa in law, who was not entirely successful in concealing his delight at his resemblance to a portrait of his ancestor and the line's progenitor.

I also found a book by the same author on the Caradon-Liskeard-Looe lines, which those elephantine of memory will recall I became interested in last year as a consequence of stomping around the moor in the vicinity of the cheesering.

Today we have rain and something of a blow. Don't worry, though, we have a wet weather plan.

(get wet) 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

Funny, it's cool but sunny here in Norfolk :P

It's apparently also sunny in the Glorious North, so from that point of view, we should have stayed at home.  But a change of scene was probably vital, even if this means removing to a soggy district!

Gives me a chance to catch up on the boards! 

• Like 4

Edwardian

sounds as if you are doing a spooky action replay of a holiday that SWMBO had before the children were born, even down to buying the big tome about the Liskeard and Caradon in the upstairs bookshop at Launceston.

Abiding memory is not a good one, though: on the very, very wettest day, we went to The Eden Project, and not knowing that they have very good 'dog lodges" there, where dogs can chill-out in comfort and safety while owners sniff flowers, we left our pair in the kitchen of the cottage, where one of them proceeded to gnaw a chunk out of a wooden step.

They'd never gnawed anything before, and never did after, and the worst of it was that the guy who owned the place was a cabinet-maker, who had hand-made said steps from white oak, with utter, beautiful precision .......... was he happy? He was not! I've never seen a man do politely-contained murderous-fury like it. We were utterly mortified.

Wishing you dryness, Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hah, whereas, we're in Cornwall this week!  In a tent.

With three large, wet, dogs. 

Glad you enjoyed Cornwall.  I confess, losing the house sale just at the point I thought we were on the verge of the end of years of financial troubles has hit me quite hard and the few days off and a change of scene has probably come in the nick of time, allowing me to get the old head piece straightened out. 

I, too, was expected to go 'cold turkey' for a trainless week, but compensated by bringing some books along with a view to some SE&CR research.

The Memsahib partly relented, however, and I did snatch a blissful hour in the sunshine yesterday clanking behind a Quarry Hunslet chuffering its little heart out up a hill with 2 tram cars and 2 toast-racks, then coasting back down with her firebox door closed and a satisfied hiss.

(get wet) 

We were in Plymouth last week - we rented a lovely flat above a chip shop on the Barbican. The Launceston line was on my to-do list but when I saw that it was an hour-and-a-half bus ride from Plymouth I felt I could not inflict that on my family. As a consolation I took my (non-railway loving) son to Totnes and persuaded him that we should make a single journey to Staverton and walk back via Dartington Hall. I got us lost in some woods and we emerged near a farm that was selling ice cream. We had goats milk/gin/elderflower/honeycomb ices and very nice they were.

We did all have a nice day on the Gunnislake line visiting Cotehele and also had a train trip to Lostwithiel where we met our Penzance friends and walked to Restormel Castle.

• Like 4

I remember going to Cornwall myself when I was a child (1999 to be precise). I threw my little brother's sunglasses off Land's End.

I was a jerk as a kid.

Went back about five years ago. It looked nothing like I remembered it but not always in a bad way as I'd found it dull the first time around.

• RMweb Premium

I remember going to Cornwall myself when I was a child (1999 to be precise). I threw my little brother's sunglasses off Land's End.

I was a jerk as a kid.

Went back about five years ago. It looked nothing like I remembered it but not always in a bad way as I'd found it dull the first time around.

Stop making me feel old. I'd been working 24 years by then...