• RMweb Premium

Well, rain today in Mid Wales and have just had to clear a downpipe of accumulated moss as water was flowing past the modelling room window. I had thought about spending a couple of days cycling and am glad I didn't book anywhere to stay tonight. but at least perhaps the apple tree will stop shedding so much unripened fruit if it gets some water.

Funny Edwardian should mention the SECR. I am trying to letter an ex-LCDR van (D&S kit) and it has two lines of lettering on the solebar. Fiddly isn't the word for it. I have decided that I need more than one SECR wagon! To make it worse I am having to make up the words "to carry" line from separate letters - well i did steal "arry" from the word quarry on a sheet of miscellaneous lettering. The words are not included on the relevant HMRS sheet. Anyway getting there, having destroyed two copies out of the four in trying to apply the "arry" bit.

I assume that those in this parish will have noted the sad death of Allan Downes, albeit at a considerable age. His buildings as illustrated in the Toddeler in the '60s were magnificent if a little quirky sometimes. Edwardian is a worthy successor in my view.

Ah, yes, those Cornish china clay branches. I understand that some of them had no run-around facilities at the end so were worked brake van first on the outward journey, often for some miles. That is part of the inspiration for my building Sarn as a goods only branch with no run-around loop.

And back on summer days and outings, I was looking on the TNA website for something yesterday - it wasn't there. But what is there are dozens and dozens of railway holiday posters. Enough to keep this thread going for years.

Jonathan

• Like 3

Well, rain today in Mid Wales and have just had to clear a downpipe of accumulated moss as water was flowing past the modelling room window. I had thought about spending a couple of days cycling and am glad I didn't book anywhere to stay tonight. but at least perhaps the apple tree will stop shedding so much unripened fruit if it gets some water.

Funny Edwardian should mention the SECR. I am trying to letter an ex-LCDR van (D&S kit) and it has two lines of lettering on the solebar. Fiddly isn't the word for it. I have decided that I need more than one SECR wagon! To make it worse I am having to make up the words "to carry" line from separate letters - well i did steal "arry" from the word quarry on a sheet of miscellaneous lettering. The words are not included on the relevant HMRS sheet. Anyway getting there, having destroyed two copies out of the four in trying to apply the "arry" bit.

I assume that those in this parish will have noted the sad death of Allan Downes, albeit at a considerable age. His buildings as illustrated in the Toddeler in the '60s were magnificent if a little quirky sometimes. Edwardian is a worthy successor in my view.

Ah, yes, those Cornish china clay branches. I understand that some of them had no run-around facilities at the end so were worked brake van first on the outward journey, often for some miles. That is part of the inspiration for my building Sarn as a goods only branch with no run-around loop.

And back on summer days and outings, I was looking on the TNA website for something yesterday - it wasn't there. But what is there are dozens and dozens of railway holiday posters. Enough to keep this thread going for years.

Jonathan

Good luck with the van, I look forward to seeing it 'emerge'.

I had been about to sell the house.  This would have led to some much needed investment in CA and in the building in which it is housed, but would also have allowed investment in a shed, the idea being to allow a reasonable double track 'run'.

There are various competing ideas, of course: GWR Brent (Grouping); ECML GN-Section (pre-grouping & LNER), the Offord curves; LB&SCR Burgess Hill; SE&CR Dunton Green etc, etc.

Alternatively, something relatively generic, in order words essentially a scenic test track upon which anything can be run or, indeed, photographed.

Still, this must now go back in the box labelled "Hopes & Dreams", with the lid firmly nailed down for the time being.  

Anyhow, the point being I was looking at the rather eclectic Edwardian collection, and thinking that the nearest I am to a coherent basis for a layout's worth of stock is probably SE&CR in the late Edwardian-pre-Great War era. For this reason alone, a SE&CR-themed stretch of mainline was looking a likely contender for something that might actually get built.

I reckon on roster of about 12-16 locomotives of which I expect up to half, in due course, to be RTR, whereas the others would be a mix of kits and RTR conversions, so, actually, reasonably feasible.

Aside from the forthcoming Linny push-pull 3-set and the Bachmann birdcage 3-set, the major problem will be sufficient appropriate coaching stock.

This means some brass kits would need to be attempted.  That is very much counting my chickens; I need to see if I can manage those GE 4-wheelers first. Roxey Mouldings produce 4 44-46' short bogie coaches useful for general mainline service.  The elusive Branchlines has some LCDR bogies, including a Brake Third, and 6-wheel PBV, and, apparently in limited production, the doubled-ended PBV. Worsley Works seems to have one of the better selections, as they cover the shorter, earlier, Birdcage 3-sets (50' and 54'). 

Some of the stock would need to be scratch-built. This would include the two Car Trains and Boat Trains.

But, Allan Downes passing away.  I had not heard. How sad, and what a loss.  He figured very largely in the Railway Modellers of my youth and I vividly remember seeing as a child his, I think, Cotswold village layout at Pecorama.

One of the highlights of discovering RMWeb was discovering that this Living Legend was alive and well and posting. I was very bucked when he 'rated' and said some nice things about the early CA buildings.  He seems to have been a gentleman.  Courtesy does not always come with 'living legend' status, but I always thought, from the way he was online, he'd be a pleasure to have met.

What an influence I suspect he had in terms of encouraging people to scratch-build and to think about buildings and try new and inventive techniques. I liked the fact that he was not above convenience and expediency; yes, you'd need skill and patience, but you needn't feel you had to be wearing a hair shirt in order to attempt to emulate his work.

He will be sadly missed by many. And how many modellers can say they've built a cathedral in 4mm scale? 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

It's apparently also sunny in the Glorious North, so from that point of view, we should have stayed at home. But a change of scene was probably vital, even if this means removing to a soggy district!

Gives me a chance to catch up on the boards!

It is but also much cooler! I suppose rain is only to be expected in the West Country mind.

• Like 2

Hah, whereas, we're in Cornwall this week! In a tent.

With three large, wet, dogs.

Glad you enjoyed Cornwall. I confess, losing the house sale just at the point I thought we were on the verge of the end of years of financial troubles has hit me quite hard and the few days off and a change of scene has probably come in the nick of time, allowing me to get the old head piece straightened out.

I, too, was expected to go 'cold turkey' for a trainless week, but compensated by bringing some books along with a view to some SE&CR research.

The Memsahib partly relented, however, and I did snatch a blissful hour in the sunshine yesterday clanking behind a Quarry Hunslet chuffering its little heart out up a hill with 2 tram cars and 2 toast-racks, then coasting back down with her firebox door closed and a satisfied hiss.

Then, there was the book shop … Managed to find a tome on the Memsahib's ancestral railway. I showed it to my Pa in law, who was not entirely successful in concealing his delight at his resemblance to a portrait of his ancestor and the line's progenitor.

I also found a book by the same author on the Caradon-Liskeard-Looe lines, which those elephantine of memory will recall I became interested in last year as a consequence of stomping around the moor in the vicinity of the cheesering.

Today we have rain and something of a blow. Don't worry, though, we have a wet weather plan.

(get wet)

We are in a tent in Cornwall too, near Looe. No on-train activity so far, just some steam and a glimpse of copper as we passed Bodmin. Oh, and the tail of an HST at the level crossing at Lostwithiel

• RMweb Premium

Coo, a tent with WiFi, I never had that when we did it. As we got older, the trips across the field in the middle of the night made us lose interest, so enjoy it while you can. It was raining in Kent yesterday, (trip to the Spa Valley) raining in Wiltshire today, so back to the typical British summer. Enjoy!

• Like 3

Coo, a tent with WiFi, I never had that when we did it. As we got older, the trips across the field in the middle of the night made us lose interest, so enjoy it while you can. It was raining in Kent yesterday, (trip to the Spa Valley) raining in Wiltshire today, so back to the typical British summer. Enjoy!

Tent is in in-laws' garden, so in-laws' WiFi!  

• Like 3

We're in Cornwall too. Currently a rather lovely, largely sunny and pleasantly cool evening which is a pleasant surprise given a fairly soggy journey along the A303 and A30.I'm looking forward to watching the sun disappear over the horizon over the next hour or so! However, it always gives you a lift to think of the relevant named Bulleid creation as your drive west. Given the traffic was heavy, I'm thinking we'll go back around the south side of Dartmouth and will be seeking to persuade the better half that a convenient place for our first journey break will be the South Devon Railway. She doesn't know this yet...

Davidpost-22698-0-69652500-1533928970_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Such a philistine am I, that all I can say is that its not a bad sketch of a Kerr Stuart "Wren'. Spooky style the artist has.

And, as before, Northroader's hint has made me google and find some really interesting images. Thank you both.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Such a philistine am I, that all I can say is that its not a bad sketch of a Kerr Stuart "Wren'. Spooky style the artist has.

Yes, although, perhaps, a little towards the naïve style, it has a certain atmosphere.

With 2 months to go, perhaps I should be reckless and attempt a cakebox?

• RMweb Gold

Just dodged the rain to cycle part of the route of the Devon & Cornwall Railway to Lidford. 

Photographs of these various minor adventures must await my return home.

It is an interesting walk. There is also a footpath at Lidford which passes under the Viaduct

post-8525-0-71671600-1437663809_thumb.jpg

Don
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

And, as before, Northroader's hint has made me google and find some really interesting images. Thank you both.

I rather like Ravilious' style. The Towner has just acquired another of his major works, Beachy Head 1939, which was also on display. Thinking back to earlier musings on the Cuckmere Valley, I think that will appeal to you too.

http://www.townereastbourne.org.uk/press-release-significant-eric-ravilious-painting-beachy-head-joins-permanent-collection-eastbournes-towner-art-gallery/

• RMweb Premium

I looked at the cakebox challenge, and went so far as to design a leaf shaped job, but then I decided it would be a distraction from the main work in hand, and dropped the idea.

I was walking the West Devon way, and heading home after one leg, involved catching a bus from Lydford to Okehampton to start with. At the bus stop I was talking to the lady who runs the tea rooms there, going into town to pick up the Volvo after servicing. Getting on the bus, she discovered she hadn’t got any money, so as we were now mates and I’m a fool for a pretty face, I subbed her.

Off topic, I suppose, you mentioned Lydford and memories come flooding back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I rather like Ravilious' style. The Towner has just acquired another of his major works, Beachy Head 1939, which was also on display. Thinking back to earlier musings on the Cuckmere Valley, I think that will appeal to you too.

http://www.townereastbourne.org.uk/press-release-significant-eric-ravilious-painting-beachy-head-joins-permanent-collection-eastbournes-towner-art-gallery/

Something I notice about Ravillious is that, having seen reproductions, the originals are apt to come as a bit of a disappointment, appearing rather faded. I think there is a tendency to boost the intensity of the colours in reproduction.

• RMweb Gold

It's been a while since we delved into the world of fine art, so here is a link to a picture - the original of which I viewed at the Towner Gallery in Eastbourne earlier today.

http://thepictureparlour.com/images/eBayimages/ravilious/dolly_engine.jpg

You're making me feel bad!!! I have spend my whole life living within 10 miles of the Towner Gallery, and yet have never been!!! Yet you living half way round the world have! I suppose I had best make a trip in the near future!!!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're making me feel bad!!! I have spend my whole life living within 10 miles of the Towner Gallery, and yet have never been!!! Yet you living half way round the world have! I suppose I had best make a trip in the near future!!!!

Gary

When I lived in Eastbourne I visited the Towner in its old home at Gildredge Park quite often. This was the first time I'd been since its move to Devonshire Park.

I wasn't a million miles from your place last Sunday when I drove from Hadlow Down to Bexhill.