8 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You’re both right, it Is a quote lifted by memory from an article in the RM in the fifties on “Torpoint” by Jim ?? Now noses back to the grindstone, I can promise you only blood, sweat, tears, etc., etc.,

'Torpoint' was by John Harrison, first in 4mm scale then later in 7mm.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northroader said:

You’re both right, it Is a quote lifted by memory from an article in the RM in the fifties on “Torpoint” by Jim ?? Now noses back to the grindstone, I can promise you only blood, sweat, tears, etc., etc.,

3 hours ago, wagonman said:

'Torpoint' was by John Harrison, first in 4mm scale then later in 7mm.

That's right. John Harrison, from Bristol. A contemporary and friend of the perhaps better-known John Charman of Charford fame, he was a regular contributor to the Modeller in the 50s and 60s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Witty, ingenious, but I hope not public-facing.  Nowadays it would certainly be funnier and less crass if de-Nazified.  Imagine if a poor German unwittingly wandered into the exhibition! Even Basil Faulty knew not to mention the war ....! 

I have seen other versions, without the image and sign-off, and with rather better cod-German in Gothic script. Quite funny but I'm not sure whether it was more or less effective than the traditional DANGER - 12,000 MILLIVOLTS.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Basil Faulty

Fawlty.

From real Nazis to a grammar one.

4 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I have seen other versions, without the image and sign-off, and with rather better cod-German in Gothic script. Quite funny but I'm not sure whether it was more or less effective than the traditional DANGER - 12,000 MILLIVOLTS.

:mocking_mini: I've seen plenty. We had one in the printer room when I used to work for at an RSPCA shop. 

Also I'm pretty sure the amperage is the bit you should be worried about. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the phrase was quoted in a letter to the Railway Modeller written in 'West Country' dialect in response to a comment about might there be a progress report on Torpoint. He did wite about Torpoint about the time CJF was editing Model Railways and there was also an article on a narrow gauge 7mm layout Kyle of Morange  or something like that.

REGARDS DON

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Donw said:

I believe the phrase was quoted in a letter to the Railway Modeller written in 'West Country' dialect in response to a comment about might there be a progress report on Torpoint. He did wite about Torpoint about the time CJF was editing Model Railways and there was also an article on a narrow gauge 7mm layout Kyle of Morange  or something like that.

REGARDS DON

"Progress Report" was an article rather than a letter but he was indeed a regular in the letters column.

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

This is a slightly error-prone method, however, because, in my limited experience, people educated in Zimbabwe all seem to speak utterly perfect English, which might lead to false accusations.

Alternatively, if they took a correspondance course in English they address everyone as 'Dear Sir or Madam' or 'To Whom it may concern'.  :jester:

Jim

• Like 2

The way the guys I know describe it, Zimbabwe was c15 years behind the times when white rule started, and simply perpetuated all the old institutions, methods etc under majority rule from 1980, so schools, hospitals, the electricity authority, the railway etc were all c1955 until everything was driven to pot by kleptocracy from c2005, which is when they came over here. So, everybody was taught to speak pretty much like HMQ, Trevor Howard, or Celia Johnson. All swearing and colloquialisms involved use of one or several of the native languages.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

The way the guys I know describe it, Zimbabwe was c15 years behind the times when white rule started, and simply perpetuated all the old institutions, methods etc under majority rule from 1980, so schools, hospitals, the electricity authority, the railway etc were all c1955 until everything was driven to pot by kleptocracy from c2005, which is when they came over here. So, everybody was taught to speak pretty much like HMQ, Trevor Howard, or Celia Johnson. All swearing and colloquialisms involved use of one or several of the native languages.

I knew a girl from Zim who spoke the sort of clipped RP that had otherwise died with much older generations, and she was very upset when everyone she met here though she was posh.

Mind you, she did condemn Manchester as a provincial town with the words "you can always tell when a town's provincial; people dress up to go shopping". 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

"Progress Report" was an article rather than a letter but he was indeed a regular in the letters column.

Ah but it was written in the style of a letter to the editor. I think it was a bit earlier than 67 as I was more interested in motorbikes by then. Also there was a bit about one of the Torpoints in MRJ some years ago.

Don

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Also I'm pretty sure the amperage is the bit you should be worried about. 

The current that will flow through to to earth is determined by your resistance and the potential difference, irrespective of the current flowing through any device. The actual causes of injury are complex; the human body is a non-ohmic conductor.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The current that will flow through to to earth is determined by your resistance and the potential difference, irrespective of the current flowing through any device. The actual causes of injury are complex; the human body is a non-ohmic conductor.

Watt?

I don’t know how to conduct myself, so I’m going ohm...

(Ample more where that came from - a real live wire on this topic. Shocking, isn’t it?)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

The phrase in question (in broad dialect) was printed in a Progress Report on Torpoint Mk IV (not a letter to the Editor) in the December 1963 issue of RM.  I have been scannining all my old issues of RM and MRC.

Mick

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Watt?

I don’t know how to conduct myself, so I’m going ohm...

(Ample more where that came from - a real live wire on this topic. Shocking, isn’t it?)

That's revolting!  Especially when you take my name in vain!  :laugh:

Jim (W)  (Windae picked)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Whilst that is true of the human body that is not true of many tools you may be holding for example a spanner. Should for example a spanner you are holding be connected across battery terminals it will get rather hot and the current capacity of the battery becomes rather pertinent. A spanner across telephone exchange bus bars will very rapidly glow red hot then melt which is not good for the hand holding it. A metal wrist watch strap has amputated someones hand yet holding the terminals by hand will just give you a strong tingle.

Conversely a friend built a relco type device which put a measurable 900v across the rails but any conduction path between the rails would cause the voltage to fall rapidly so it was quite safe. Indeed he found this device useful to educate RAF trainees. He would show the voltage on an oscilloscope warning them to be carefull then seemingly by accident place his hand on the rails. He would then show the surprised trainees that the voltage would drop as soon as there was any connection between the rails. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Donw said:

Ah but it was written in the style of a letter to the editor. I think it was a bit earlier than 67 as I was more interested in motorbikes by then. Also there was a bit about one of the Torpoints in MRJ some years ago.

Don

2 hours ago, petethemole said:

The Torpoint article was in an early '60s RM, probably '61or '62. I have it but can't get to it without moving a lot of heavy stuff.

2 hours ago, MickRalph said:

The phrase in question (in broad dialect) was printed in a Progress Report on Torpoint Mk IV (not a letter to the Editor) in the December 1963 issue of RM.  I have been scannining all my old issues of RM and MRC.

Mick

Thanks all. I was going to check when I'm back home at the weekend but you've saved me the trouble. Actually, I'll check anyway as it provides a good excuse (not that I really need one) to dig out a few old magazines and wallow in nostalgia for a while.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Mind you, she did condemn Manchester as a provincial town with the words "you can always tell when a town's provincial; people dress up to go shopping". 

She was spot on. It takes an outsider to see through all the cultural accretions...

• RMweb Gold

Progress? Was ist der Progress? Manchmal sitzen wir und denken nach, aber meistens sitzen wir nur.

Sorry: can’t do regional German.

Edited by Regularity
Insert missing verb.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Progress? Was ist der Progress? Manchmal sitzen wir und denken nach, aber meistens sitzen wir nur.

Sorry: can’t do regional German.

Pfaelzisch:

Progress? Was ist de Progress? Manchmal sitzen wir und denken, aber meistens sitzen wir nur.

Edited by Andy Hayter
Typo
  • Like 1