4 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

They did indeed! Besides sneering remarks about Battersea, which aren't really political, the only overtly political comments I can think of are in Twenty Tons of TNTMisalliance and a comment about Mr Flanders' Local council being "Strictly non-political - they're all conservative!". I know there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Clearly you are a connoisseur, Sir!

As you are clearly Made of the Right Stuff, you may also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Clearly you are a connoisseur, Sir!

This past year I have managed to listen to their entire (recorded) repertoire and may very much consider myself a rather large fan of their work!

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

As you are clearly Made of the Right Stuff, you may also enjoy Tom Lehrer.

I must investigate this in the near future...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

As it was, IIRC, constantly dark and raining in that film, I had always assumed that Ridley Scott was referencing Manchester.

"There's a walk from Redcar into Hartlepool ... I'd cross a bridge at night, and walk above the steel works. So that's probably where the opening of Blade Runner comes from. It always seemed to be rather gloomy and raining, and I'd just think "God, this is beautiful." You can find beauty in everything, and so I think I found the beauty in that darkness."

Ridley Scott

13_53_49_web.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

This past year I have managed to listen to their entire (recorded) repertoire and may very much consider myself a rather large fan of their work!

I must investigate this in the near future...

Tom Lehrer was a Harvard Maths Professor.  Then, in the mid-Sixties, he had this alternative career as a satirical singer-songwriter.  He came over and performed at Oxford and Cambridge.  

Then he went back to being a Harvard Maths Professor. 

This was time when WW2 was a fresh memory, civil rights and nuclear proliferation were the cause of constant tension. Some of his repertoire was directly related to current affairs (though seem topical enough today), while others were whimsical.

He ranged from the inappropriately joyful Poisoning Pigeons in the Park, to the lightness of the Periodic Table set to the tune of I am the Very Model of a Modern Major General, to topical satire with National Brotherhood Week and the darkly macabre Delilah-genre with I hold Your Hand in Mine.  All great stuff.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Wilton Chemical works - formerly ICI Wilton before everything was sold off to the highest bidder.  The 4 chimneys of one of the Gas fired power station units can be seen coming together in a pyramid in the centre and the second unit is rather less clear to the left.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Tom Lehrer was a Harvard Maths Professor.  Then, in the mid-Sixties, he had this alternative career as a satirical singer-songwriter.  He came over and performed at Oxford and Cambridge.  

Then he went back to being a Harvard Maths Professor. 

Its always handy to have an alternative career if showbiz doesn't pan out... :jester:

Perhaps we should have a "Castle Aching Desert Island Discs" weekend when the nights start to draw in?  Each member of the Parish Council to provide a list of say 5 tracks that they would like to accompany them to their desolate sojourn.  It might be quite revealing!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

"As an elapsed (?) member of the Parish Council (assuming I haven't been kicked off it for some unearthly reason! :P) I wholeheartedly agree with Mr Hroth's suggestion."

Missenden returned to his seat.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Argo Transacord.

Discuss.

Noisily?

The first I got was "The Dukedogs and the City". I've several more, in both ep and lp format. Lots of hissing and clanking...

6 hours ago, Donw said:

One of my favourite songs is 'Who knows where the time goes'  the title seems very appropriate for railway modelling.

Don

So long as we don't have to meet on the ledge....

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Discuss.

We’ve had some strange leaps of subject matter on this thread, but field athletics is a new one!

• Funny 5

13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Thirty five years in the future, I know, but worrying nevertheless.

D4DB80E4-0AB6-45E7-8A9F-E33463BB5502.jpeg

Worrying indeed. A random 'fact'* I always remember is that Southwold is only 80 miles from Belgium......

* happy to be corrected if this is absolute twaddle!!

58 minutes ago, Regularity said:

We’ve had some strange leaps of subject matter on this thread, but field athletics is a new one!

I always preferred the javelin.  Pointy!!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I always preferred the javelin.  Pointy!!!

I suspect that the male history examiner was more interested in using his javelin, too...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

That reminds me of the lonely hearts ad:

Male History A Level Examiner would like to meet female History A Level Examiner. Discuss.

Must have at least two good points to pass.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

I suspect that the male history examiner was more interested in using his javelin, too...

That was a cheap shot Simon (sorry to hammer the point).

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks to Ruston of this parish, some of J H Ahern's Edwardian photographs of Castle Aching are beginning to surface......

Amazingly realistic, I raise my hat to you sir!

5 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Please excuse me, gentlemen, whilst I pick my jaw up from off of the floor...

Wondered what made the ruddy noise...

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 4