• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

In the hope of cheering everyone up:

Men having lunch with an engine.

Today at Leighton Buzzard.

8B6F749C-E453-4184-AF50-C1A6E6DE450C.jpeg

Doesn’t get us away from fishing: the guy in the middle is obviously talking about the one that got away!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

At least they're not sitting on the window ledges with their legs hanging out like they do on Puffing Billy!!

Jim

Yes, it was all fun and games...

Puffing_Billy_Railway.jpg.4772a873ba7fe31405291d4c2c7d8c5a.jpg

Until someone went and spoiled it!

In the words of one correspondent "Political correctness gone mad"

bus.jpg.bd0d8655f9f81970da3f7cbdc9283b5b.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

"And then this Dr Beecham bloke told us that we could keep the Gresley A3 but only if we made it a more economical size" 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yes, it was all fun and games...

Puffing_Billy_Railway.jpg.4772a873ba7fe31405291d4c2c7d8c5a.jpg

Until someone went and spoiled it!

In the words of one correspondent "Political correctness gone mad"

bus.jpg.bd0d8655f9f81970da3f7cbdc9283b5b.jpg

And before you know it you'll have filled in a risk assessment form that concludes you must wear a hi-vis vest and hard hat in order to be filmed next to a static exhibit. 

To be fair, though, the dangerous unwrapping had just occurred.  I think we can all see that, without the hi-vis vest, the plastic sheeting might not have seen the staff member and, therefore, might have unwittingly landed on her head, splitting her skull, hence the very necessary hard hat. 

If only the museum could adequately protect its staff against paper cuts ....  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Cheered ME up, thanks!

Bloke in middle "It was standard gauge, until me missus put it in the wash!"

30 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And before you know it you'll have filled in a risk assessment form that concludes you must wear a hi-vis vest and hard hat in order to be filmed next to a static exhibit. 

Its the curatorial senseless waffle that got me.

• Agree 1

While I'm all for public funding of arts and museums (and our railways), and think we do not do nearly enough, the bureaucratic nature of our museum industry I am sure gives rise to inefficiencies that any organisation paying its way could not tolerate and does so without any perceptible benefit.

I also worry about the third sector dependency culture. I had to walk away from one local initiative that died on its feet because it could not see past its lust for grants to the need to make itself profitable.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Edwardian said:

To be fair, though, the dangerous unwrapping had just occurred.  I think we can all see that, without the hi-vis vest, the plastic sheeting might not have seen the staff member and, therefore, might have unwittingly landed on her head, splitting her skull, hence the very necessary hard hat. 

If only the museum could adequately protect its staff against paper cuts ....  

Just wait till you see how many forms there are to fill in before you're allowed to roll it down the steps..

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, brack said:

Just wait till you see how many forms there are to fill in before you're allowed to roll it down the steps..

When it was at the proper Liverpool Museum, Lion was in a Transport Gallery in the basement, with level access from the back of the building.  There was no need to haul it down the steps, which would have been considerably more difficult than in the fillum!  And then it might roll into the Queensway Tunnel (the first road Mersey Tunnel) and end up half-way to Birkenhead...

514689402_museumstepswilliambrownstreetliverpool.jpg.3e5e3e9261ab8e1865478d8e9b50c0ff.jpg

(One of those ruddy Alamy stock photos)

In the new museum (where the curatatrix is pulling the plastic sheet off Lion), if they got it out through the door, the problem would be ensuring it didn't roll into a. The Mersey, b. the Leeds and Liverpool canal branch into the Albert Dock system or, c. Canning Dock...

A Bigger Splash, eh?  :jester:

Edited by Hroth
clarification
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Curatrix surely? Mediator, mediatrix...

Dominator - dominatrix -   it's notable that the spellcheck queries Mediatrix  and Dominator.  Wasn't Asterix male? Doubtless some Classical scholar (My Dad had a double first in 'Greats' - I think I remember scraping an 'O' level in Latin) will tell me a. that Asterix was fictional and b. that the word comes from a different root. There must be a thread somewhere here that comments on the eccentricities of spellchecks. I guess that a lot of it is down to the American origins of the likes of Google.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Wasn't Asterix male? Doubtless some Classical scholar (My Dad had a double first in 'Greats' - I think I remember scraping an 'O' level in Latin) will tell me a. that Asterix was fictional and b. that the word comes from a different root. 

Indeed a different root, the imagination of René Goscinny and, in other languages, some imaginative translators.  All the Gauls have names ending in "-ix" for men and "-a" for women.  Other nationalities in the books have a similar naming convention, usually either appropriate to the language or some stereotype.  Asterix is derived from *.

Alan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It might attract more people to playing Dominos.

I can imagine a chap saying to his wife " I'm just off to the pub for a game of Dominos"

" You never used to bother untill SHE turned up in that funny outfit"

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Donw said:

It might attract more people to playing Dominos.

I can imagine a chap saying to his wife " I'm just off to the pub for a game of Dominos"

" You never used to bother untill SHE turned up in that funny outfit"

Don

A man goes out for a night of fun and frolics with his mistress (other gender combinations, or none, are available). Before he returns home he is careful to tuck a small stick of chalk behind his ear.

His wife asks him where he has been all night, to which he replies truthfully.

"Don't give me that," says his wife. "You've been down the pub playing darts as usual!".

I thank you.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5