5 hours ago, Regularity said:

My personal favourite is "The Password is Courage", which was obviously filmed in England.

I like it mostly because they wrecked English stock in the railway scenes, and there are no models: real stuff was wrecked and you get some wonderful views of how things were made.

I like The Train for proper wrecking of things...

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, brack said:

I like The Train for proper wrecking of things...

Also black and white.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Amuse yourselves, as I have done, by looking up Edwardian election posters.

One of the big issues was "Tariff Reform" aka protectionism v. Free Trade.  The Liberal Party were straight Free Traders, of course, but the Conservatives were split, with its liberal wing supporting free trade.

Both sides indulged in a lot of gloom about what would happen if the other side won.   The Tariff reform side suggested that cheap foreign imports would cause mass unemployment, whereas free traders suggested that tariffs would push up the price of goods and impoverish the working man.

To illustrate, I reproduce one sally from each side.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_11/307626540_FreetradePosterstop_thief.png.e30ff35b230e0d5702915a749045a5c4.png

She's screaming "NO NO take the child, the bacon costs a fortune!!!"

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Es ist in der Halle, am Ende der Treppe!

I thought it was in Sam's piano the whole time

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I thought it was in Sam's piano the whole time

"Do you know where my watch is?"

"You hum it, son, and I'll play".

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

BLINKENLICHTEN. THAT IS ALL.

d88ba8a847305bf26642172f6cba4786_preview

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Today's "goose bumps" moment, courtesy of R3, the Nocturne from Holst's Moorside Suite, a piece of which I had hitherto ignorant.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Today's "goose bumps" moment, courtesy of R3, the Nocturne from Holst's Moorside Suite, a piece of which I had hitherto ignorant.

I shall look out for that. Holst and a brass band - not much could beat that.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I shall look out for that. Holst and a brass band - not much could beat that.

I gather the Nocturne is also available in strings.

I loved the music and was fascinated by the circumstances of it's creation; a BBC commission for an annual brass band competition.  Won that year (1928), Wiki said, by the Black Dyke Mills Band, which was still very much a name to conjure with when I was a lad, and probably still is. 

The band, started by a mill owning French hornist in the Nineteenth Century, was obviously a big noise (ahem) in the brass band fraternity long before 1928 and I was delighted to learn that it made one of the first brass band recordings, in 1904!

Should CA have a band? it's a bit small and bucolic perhaps for that.  Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

And an association football team. An early association football team was that organised by workers at the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway's Newton Heath carriage & wagon works, called Newton Heath LYR Football Club. After some initial success, it struggled financially until, with new investment in 1902, it changed its name to Manchester United. Similar, if not quite such illustrious, tales could be told of numerous other railway works AFCs.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

I gather the Nocturne is also available in strings.

I loved the music and was fascinated by the circumstances of it's creation; a BBC commission for an annual brass band competition.  Won that year (1928), Wiki said, by the Black Dyke Mills Band, which was still very much a name to conjure with when I was a lad, and probably still is. 

The band, started by a mill owning French hornist in the Nineteenth Century, was obviously a big noise (ahem) in the brass band fraternity long before 1928 and I was delighted to learn that it made one of the first brass band recordings, in 1904!

Should CA have a band? it's a bit small and bucolic perhaps for that.  Perhaps the Aching Constable Works could have a band? 

Fakenham has a band though their numbers are somewhat depleted...

http://www.fakenhamtownband.com

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

And Stalham on the M&GN

http://stalhambrassband.com/

the MSWJR ceratinly had a Brass band at their small works..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Another suggestion, as it’s that time of year..

Is mid-November a particularly noteworthy season for Salvation Army-ists?

• Funny 3

48 minutes ago, wagonman said:

Fakenham has a band though their numbers are somewhat depleted...

http://www.fakenhamtownband.com

Well, as we know, Achingham is Fakenham's alter ego, so if Fakenham sustained a band, it seems only fair to allow Achingham to do so.

The clincher, however, was when I read the following via the link you kindly supplied:

"Formed in 1881 by 6 men in a pub" 

Obviously we need a WNR band too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

The clincher, however, was when I read the following via the link you kindly supplied:

"Formed in 1881 by 6 men in a pub" 

Obviously we need a WNR band too!

6 men in a pub who can play instruments, or just think they can?

So long as it doesn't end up like one of those American Kazoo Bands....

• Funny 3

Nearholmer once provided a link to a wonderful wintery narrative film of an outdoor course scale railway, complete, IRRC, with Sally Army band playing on the platform.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Strictly speaking, there's another couple of weeks before its that time of year, unless you're in Retail, where its been "That time of year" since late August.

But as you seem "Heaven-bent" to get us into the mood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwbwsy5vNZk

• Agree 1

Oh well, thats put me in the mood for a good hot cup mug of tea and a mince pie!

Slurppppp.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

‘Duck End’ is the name of the team that make the vintage outdoor G1 railway films - google or YouTube should find them.

You might be able to conjure-up a church band for one of the more remote villages that hasn’t yet invested in an organ for its small place of worship. By 1905 there were probably very few left, because in the 1860/70s small mass-produced organs became available, and hymn singing was being dragooned by standard hymn books, but the English Church Band was quite different from what we now think of as a ‘village band’, probably with strings, woodwind, maybe only one ‘brass’ horn, and, if you were lucky, some ancient non-brass horn (I guess that actually counts as woodwind).

Maybe they are playing outside for some reason, otherwise they might be invisible and inaudible in a 4mm/ft church.

PS: have we discussed this before? I vaguely recall that we have.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You might be able to conjure-up a church band for one of the more remote villages that hasn’t yet invested in an organ for its small place of worship. By 1905 there were probably very few left, because in the 1860/70s small mass-produced organs became available, but the English Church Band was quite different from what we now think of as a ‘village band’, probably with strings, maybe only one ‘brass’ horn, and, if you were lucky, some ancient non-brass horn.

Maybe they are playing outside for some reason, otherwise they might be invisible and inaudible in a 4mm/ft church.

PS: have we discussed this before? I vaguely recall that we have.

There was some discussion of a rustic mechanicals band. I had thought Modelu had produced some figures, but cannot find them now.

14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

‘Duck End’ is the name of the team that make the vintage outdoor G1 railway films - google or YouTube should find them.

Ah yes, thank you ....

• Like 4

James - a long time back on this thread you posted photographs of rural people and asked the parish council to guess the dates. I recall that most thought they were pre-WWI when in fact they were the 1930s. I think there is a link to the post on the first page but its broken (for me at least). Do you know which page it was on? I wanted to link to it show someone who is asking about 1930s model figures for a railway project. Thanks and sorry for the effort this may put you to.