• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You need to treat them with the same care and attention as you do your locomotives.  Drive them carefully, don't thrash them, don't overload them, keep them oiled and watered and put decent fuel in them.  That sort of thing....  :whistle:

Watered! - now there's a good idea.  I'll go and put one in the salt marsh along with few dramatic looking skid marks down from the road.

• Funny 5

31 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Greetings to you to but the solstice is tomorrow this year.

At just past  4 in the morning, so I don't see any problem  with  being only 21 hours  early, especially  since we've had "Merry Christmas" all month!

• Like 3

Well I'm on another sodding rail replacement bus! This one is still dishonouring (London &) South Western Railway's name. Mind you, even the rail 'service' does that...

I can't see the number in the window of this one.

Still, at least they're once again using stagecoach drivers who know the route (and don't spare the horses). It was always thus under SWT (which made sense) but SWR started using coaches. All well and good, but they had no route knowledge! Thus on one occasion, rather than being a passenger, the driver was relying on me for directions!!! So SWR's 'service' that morning relied on a volunteer railwayman who can't drive but who still remembers how to get places by road.

Says a lot really.

Also says a lot that when travelling to and from MHR duties I have sometimes, at various busy stations (including Woking, Surbiton, Clapham Junction and Gatwick Airport) been mistaken for proper railway staff by members of the public. I once had to lend my carriage key to a member of SWR staff at Clapham Junction so he could unlock a wheelchair ramp, and the best one of all was reaching Alton and being asked by an SWR cleaner if I was one of their inspectors!!! On another occasion Alton was unstaffed and everything was going wrong so I ended up essentially manning the place for 30 minutes...

Rant over! :P

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Thus on one occasion, rather than being a passenger, the driver was relying on me for directions!!! So SWR's 'service' that morning relied on a volunteer railwayman who can't drive but who still remembers how to get places by road.

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

Also says a lot that when travelling to and from MHR duties I have sometimes, at various busy stations (including Woking, Surbiton, Clapham Junction and Gatwick Airport) been mistaken for proper railway staff by members of the public. I once had to lend my carriage key to a member of SWR staff at Clapham Junction so he could unlock a wheelchair ramp, and the best one of all was reaching Alton and being asked by an SWR cleaner if I was one of their inspectors!!! On another occasion Alton was unstaffed and everything was going wrong so I ended up essentially manning the place for 30 minutes...

Its because when togged up in your railway gear you look official and efficient, compared to the slobs in their hi-vis jackets.  Did you invoice SWT for your services that day at Alton?  :D

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Drat, we’re short of a virgin again?

F635CA88-6360-437D-AD32-117C9E41E04B.jpeg.8aa1a8bf3d8d069909ee2a01c55e545c.jpeg

What a shower!!!

Couldn't organise a sacrifice at a temple!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Speaking of Christmas, I decided to give myself a small Christmas Present this year, to cheer myself up, as it were!

And it arrived this morning!

Anyhow, its not pre-grouping, but Hereford Model Centre has a Dapol N gauge train pack consisting of a BR livery Pannier Tank and a couple of GWR livery B Set coaches as a most reasonable price so, along with a handful of Peco set track components, I'm going to make a little freelance "preserved railway" (to excuse the livery mismatch!) scene based on Andrews House Station on the Tanfield Railway.  A passing loop, tightly sandwiched between two bridges* is ideal!

Being N gauge, it won't take up too much space either...

* One bridge is a footbridge, the other has never had a bus service over it, so I think I'm safe.  :jester:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

At just past  4 in the morning, so I don't see any problem  with  being only 21 hours  early, especially  since we've had "Merry Christmas" all month!

which means the sunset furthest away is on the 21st, and the sunrise furthest away is on the 22nd, so either seems fine to me.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

which means the sunset furthest away is on the 21st, and the sunrise furthest away is on the 22nd, so either seems fine to me.

The earliest sunset and the latest sunrise occur  a few days apart I believe with the minimum time between the two occuring on the night of the 21st/22nd

ah just found this

To be more precise, the earliest sunsets (to the nearest minute) in London will occur at 15:51 between 8-16 December. Meanwhile, the latest sunrises will occur at 08:06 between 28 December and 2 January.

So if it is the dark evenings you hate be reasured sunsets are getting later. If it is the dark mornings you hate I am afraid you have to be patient.

As it is my job to put food out for the birds first thing I was aware the sunrises were later for a few days after the solstice but hadn't realised the sunsets were that far ahead

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Speaking of Christmas, I decided to give myself a small Christmas Present this year, to cheer myself up, as it were!

And it arrived this morning!

Anyhow, its not pre-grouping, but Hereford Model Centre has a Dapol N gauge train pack consisting of a BR livery Pannier Tank and a couple of GWR livery B Set coaches as a most reasonable price so, along with a handful of Peco set track components, I'm going to make a little freelance "preserved railway" (to excuse the livery mismatch!) scene based on Andrews House Station on the Tanfield Railway.  A passing loop, tightly sandwiched between two bridges* is ideal!

Being N gauge, it won't take up too much space either...

* One bridge is a footbridge, the other has never had a bus service over it, so I think I'm safe.  :jester:

What do we want?? We want a thread!!! When do we want it?? Durrh, after Christmas???

• Funny 3

53 minutes ago, Northroader said:

What do we want?? We want a thread!!! When do we want it?? Durrh, after Christmas???

Definitely probably not worth it!

A blog with an occasional entry might occur, but generally I'd feel embarassed whenever anyone took a look at it.....

• Friendly/supportive 3

6 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Greetings from the Land of the Black Dog.

A while ago on here the attached picture was posted. I wanted to go back and re-read about it but cannot now find the page. Is anyone able to help me out with a link to the location please?

80348068_1467645910050338_4005989595538784256_o.jpg.5e23d85cdeccbbe041c19540f5f9bdb3.jpg

Ah, the pre-grouping equivalent of today's Christmas shopping in Morrisons - less chance of two plastic bags splitting and a bottle of Old Peculier exploding I'll warrant !

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/12/2019 at 13:41, Nearholmer said:

The Highworth LR wasn't steep or twisty, though, was it? Did it have very 'jinky' pointwork or something, being a LR? Or, was it just a convenient temporary billet for the loco after chopping, until the L&L was finished (which took three years of digging)?

The Highworth line had the steepest gradient in Wiltshire at 1 in 44, a grade which commenced soon after leaving Hannington station and ended at Highworth terminus making it extremely tricky for the crews. The grade was called Butts Bank and a pair of reverse curves at its base were of 10 chains radius which I think was also the tightest non-industrial curved standard gauge track in Wiltshire as well. It was lightly built with limited headroom caused by several timber overline bridges. Locomotive use was heavily restricted. Usually only 4-coupled locos were permitted along the line but two classes of 0-6-0 tank were allowed on it. Metros, 517s, 850 STs, 4-4-0 No.13 and in later years 48xx and 1361 class PTs were used. The last train in 1953 was hauled by BR Class 03 D2182. BR Class 08s were permitted on the lower sections of the line up to the Kingsdown Road junction which gave access to the Vickers aircraft assembly works at South Marsden. The line had a six and later 4-coach 4-wheel set which lasted until 1935 when a specially built B set pair were provided with the roof ventilators moved down the curve of the roof to allow clearance under the low bridges.

No.13 was probably well suited in terms of wheel base but with only 140psi boiler pressure and a tractive effort of 13,328 lbs may have lacked power for the final uphill climb. In early workings 2 of the 6 4-wheel coaches were left in the loop at Hannington and only 4 coaches were taken to the terminus, the pair being collected on the return trip. Now there's a bit of railway operation it would be nice to see modelled.

I'm in very slow discussions with a friend regarding a 3D print of No.13 in 4-4-0 form but it is a very slow discussion :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 14/12/2019 at 15:18, Nearholmer said:

Stolen from the Chacewater Railway Society website.

CFD9B6EA-EAE5-42DF-8393-4CC3E8507818.jpeg

Curious. That's a well known photo of a 517 tackling the lowest part of Butts Bank on the Highworth line. Hannington station is about a quarter mile behind the tail of the train around a right hand curve. The image is in the Wild Swan title "Highworth Branch", page 14. The caption claims the second vehicle is an all third with a centre perishables compartment but no diagram number is given. It could be a mis-identification.

EDIT: "The Highworth Branch" book caption claims a date of "early 1900s".

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1