14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve really begun to worry terribly about the years ahead; I’m not as confident as I would like to be that I shall leave the country in a safe pair of hands.

52BB0E59-A89D-4B4C-9307-A7434D4E2392.jpeg

Oh, I don't know; I think the Old Girl worried too much...

1707209017_EdwardVII01.jpg.72650a09dd0fd10e51e0c6c2d5fc6936.jpg

Mind you, the phrase "have some Madeira m'dear" also comes to mind

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't every generation worry that those they are handing on to may not be a safe pair of hands? Whatever we do I expect the sun will still rise every day. Life seems to have knack of hanging on whatever conditions it faces and adapting to the changes. I suspect that if they had the capability to handle the thoughts Dinosaurs would have been bewailing the giant asteroid and saying it would be the end of things and dont expect anything to become of those small mammals grubbing around in the undergrowth.

In response the the questions about the track work on the turnouts is in hand there is a temporary hiatus at the moment as there was a demand to find the plastic storage box of family photos which ended up being the very lastbox I opened all the others being railway related. Instructions were also issued that the room should be sorted out so it could be cleaned. Opportunity ws taken to get some household items such as two chairs, a large box of cushions and other items. It is now possible to see the portable layout which had been totally covered, but it is also evident that there are more railway items than there is space to store so I am having to reduce the number of magazines and as much else unecessary stuff. However it will make it easier to complete maing the crossing and blades and finish the trackwork. Following that I shall be doing some kit building on the basis that those where the box is larger than the completed model will get done first.

I wish all of you a happy and fruitful new year and hope you avoid life's calamities. Be kind to each other.

Don 

• Friendly/supportive 5

57 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

2007959868_facethemusicsafetysign.jpeg.30217ee307bad192da1526be60ceef93.jpeg

Its only a Waxing Crescent at present, so we may be humming a different tune....

And keep an eye on those fiddlers!

As for the London Fireworks, they must have bought a cheap batch, judging by the volumes of smoke obscuring them!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Donw said:

A waxing crescent also goes to bed rather early so they won't be dancing for long.

Fiddlers flee

Bill presented

Different tune hummed.

No more dancing.....

Yep, we're in 2020!

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I’ve really begun to worry terribly about the years ahead; I’m not as confident as I would like to be that I shall leave the country in a safe pair of hands.

52BB0E59-A89D-4B4C-9307-A7434D4E2392.jpeg

The Old Vic looks more like Alfred Hitchcock......

• Funny 1

In the still above she is waxing, as in made from wax, at Madame Tussaud’s.

Its quite eerie walking up to an almost entirely lifelike Queen Victoria.

(That is not recommendation to go there. 90% of it is really very odd indeed, because it reflects foreign tourists’ own warped perceptions of Britain/London back to them. It very definitely is not aimed at the knowing domestic audience.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1318D10D-E387-433B-9A36-D2D7149ECEAE.jpeg.8fde759984fea51a999ffc4116525f09.jpeg

The other Tussaud’s waxwork of Queen Victoria was at Windsor GWR Station. Part of the station used by royalty for their comings and goings was done up as a tableau, with a replica of a Dean Single and coach, but sadly mammon prevailed, it being realised that the space could be better (more profitably) used to rook the tourists, and the display was dismantled a few years ago, although the engine was fortunately left tucked in one corner, although it’s tender went.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uhachCt0SYo

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

(That is not recommendation to go there. 90% of it is really very odd indeed, because it reflects foreign tourists’ own warped perceptions of Britain/London back to them. It very definitely is not aimed at the knowing domestic audience.)

I read that first as waking up to an almost entirely lifelike Queen Victoria. Now that would be really eerie.

Don

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Today i had a performance suited to a minor sitcom. A couple of years back the Electricity kindly took the top off an over large Horse Chestnut which had been hacked to keep it away from the electricity supply  but it had grown up higher and over the wires. The intenion being to keep it as a Pollard. So I have been cutting the shoots back to the trunk. However there were some branches lopped off a few feet from the trunk. Fine if you are using an elevating platform but not so good for me. I decided a couple really needed to be cut back but at around 10 to 12 ins diameter rather a pain for a hand saw. I do have an electric chainsaw but am rather wary of using it from a ladder. One danger is being focused on not lopping any of one's on limbs off you can forget the need to stay on the ladder.

So I get the chainsaw out  and the extension cable. Oil and set up the chainsaw before testing it on a piece on the ground. All being well I get the ladder set up and tie the top to the tree. I lift up the chainsaw and rest it in the crook of the branch to be shortened. I tie a roup around my middle rememberiing the boy scout bit about rabbit the hole and tree  then climb the ladder and tie myself to the ladder and the tree. At this point I discover the cable is not quite long enough to position the saw correctly.

I untie myself climb back down  and hang the reel on the end of the cable from halfway up the ladder. Climb back up re-tie myself to the tree and check the saw can be manouvered correctly. However when trying to use the saw it is dead no power obviously. 

I untie myself climb back down the ladder press the plug firmly into the reel as it was not quite home. Climb back up the ladder re-tie myself and try the saw. Still dead

I untie myself climb back down the ladder remove the rop round my waste and go back to check the plug at the far end of the reel has not pulled out nor has the rcd tripped. There is power. I refasten the rop round my chest climb back up the ladder re-tie myself to the tree and try the saw still no response. 

I untie myself climb back down the ladder intending to examine the saw. At this point I notice the shield round the hand hold moves. A light bulb moment when I suddenly rember the safety device, should the saw buck up  the movement will cause the shield to contact your wrist and cut the power before you slice your face in two. I move the shield into the normal position and it works.

I then repeat the process of climbing the ladder tying myself to the tree and the saw still works. So I cut the branches through in less time than it takes to go through the tying  the rope round me then tying it to the tree. 

I may have wasted a lot of time but on the bright side I have lopped limbs off the tree and haven't lopped any off myself. Oh what an exciting afternoon.

Don

• Like 5
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

That reminds me of a day I spent on a BMC Mini with auto trans and my own hand control design.

I transfered into the car, wheelchair folded and pulled, but dead starter when turning key.

I replaced the starter, switch, starter relay, wiring, battery, and sundry other parts and it took over three hours, not aided by being a T5 para with wheelchair and 1.5 hands, my black labrador eventually gave up on a run in the park and went to sleep somewhere.

I was flummoxed, the starter key was dead.

Then I noticed the gear selector had been moved about 1/2 cm out of 'n'.  Nudged the selector back to 'p' or 'n', started and ran normally.

Day wasted....    nothing learned except the ability to accept life's colourful nuances.  :)

pic shows a Jag motor under construction, dog is Jess, I built a lot of engines, and indeed built all the benches etc myself, about 98% independent.  Mini in background, one of many auto versions I rebuilt.

2106334359_rob_c1996_Scan33.jpg.0d995a375716f82103c912400595eb0f.jpg

That ball peen hammer on the engine stand bench was given to me by a retired motor mechanic from Bradford.  I still treasure it!

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 hours ago, Northroader said:

Memo: don’t look up “waxing” on the internet!

Being a Gentelman, I considered mentioning this definition of "waxing" :O but forebore to. 

However, this morning we did our traditional trip to a seaside resort and consumed home-made (Artisanal, I suppose in this day and age) ice cream on the front.  A good time was had by all!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Haven't been for about 50 years. We always made a bee-line for the Chamber of Horrors. The second half of the trip, the Planetarium, was much more to my liking.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Donw said:

I read that first as waking up to an almost entirely lifelike Queen Victoria. Now that would be really eerie.

Don

In my youth I occasionally woke up next to what appeared to be a waxwork...

• Funny 3

Are you 100% certain that it only appeared to be a waxwork?

St Enodoc - my two visits to Mdme T’s were a few months ago, and during some sort of power/coal workers strike in about 1976 (there was a power cut during it), and a lot has changed in that time, in fact nothing hasn’t, and it has gone from very bad to even worse. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1