On 13/02/2019 at 13:24, Edwardian said:

Indeed it does. This said to be a loan engine, the E&M/MGN being short of locomotives even for working East of Lynn.  Interestingly it is said to have lingered on the MGN until 1904; the influx of new Johnson-designed in MGN ownership locos did not happen overnight! 

To illustrate the continued presence of MR locomotives working over the Western Section, again, despite the progressive introduction of new MGN motive power, below is a MR 2-4-0, pictured sometime between 1903 and 1907 at Lynn.

Such services were often extended as far as the WN lines, with MR locomotives often remaining in charge!

887510745_DSC_0108-Copy.JPG.a21d2d5a6aa0d656778107310bfd2d42.JPG

On 13/02/2019 at 20:49, Compound2632 said:

No 69A at South Lynn has got me scouring Summerson. She's a member of the 890 Class, ordered by Kirtley but seen to completion by Johnson. She entered traffic in May 1874, received a Johnson boiler in June 1878, was given new 18" x 24" cylinders in June 1890, went on the duplicate list in July 1899, renumbered 107 in December 1907, and wasn't withdrawn until 1930. Originally a Saltley engine, she was at Leicester from at latest 1892 until at least 1921. There are several features that are particularly interesting. One is the use of seven clips to help seal the Johnson smokebox door, in place of the "clock hands" securing the central dart. This type of fixing was standard under Deeley but with his style of door with its seating ring. I can find no mention in Summerson of the use of these clips (referred to as "dogs") with Johnson smokebox doors.

Next is the smokebox door numberplate. Again according to Summerson, the last ten Belpaires, Nos. 860-869, entered traffic in July-September 1905 in the new livery style with the number in 18" numerals on the tender but no identification on the engine itself. This oversight was "quickly remedied" by the introduction of cast iron numberplates on the smokebox door. Finally, No. 69A carries her number on the trailing splasher in the traditional way but on the leading splasher, she sports the "new" coat of arms - generally considered to be rather more elegant than the fussily Victorian diamond-shaped design. According to Midland Style, this was brought into general use in the "latter part" of 1906.

So, we can infer that No. 69A received an overhaul at Derby that was sufficiently extensive to warrant a full repaint in the simplified Deeley style and with the new coat of arms some time no earlier than late 1906. At this overhaul, some experimentation in securing the smokebox door took place, though not as drastic as the full new Deeley smokebox and chimney she would have got if she'd been in the works a year or two later. The photo was taken before she was renumbered at the end of 1907. My guess would be, sometime in the summer of 1907, when there would likely be more need for Midland engines to work through with the extra traffic of the holiday season.

Apropos Midland 2-4-0s, can this locomotive be derived from the Ratio 2-4-0, assuming one had one lying around?

887510745_DSC_0108-Copy.JPG.a21d2d5a6aa0d656778107310bfd2d42.jpeg.791838c836704f2ade1aaa2a68d24c1f.jpeg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 08:48, Donw said:

I am no great fan of Diseasels myself.

Don

Neither was Lord Craig!

Malcolm

PS. Sorry for being a couple of days late with this post but could you all slow down a bit as my old arthritic body and dementia friendly brain are finding it difficult coping with the numerous changes of thread direction and the speed of posting! ;)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 05/01/2020 at 13:13, sem34090 said:

Perversely, I find the sight and sound of a Bulleid pacific battling a gradient far more nostalgic than anything modern, despite being only just approaching my 18th birthday.

I spent far more time on the MHR then than on the big railway, indeed at the moment this is also the case.

I have a friend at the other end of the age spectrum, 88.  He has decreed that at his funeral a recording of a Stainier pacific will be played.  The recording apparently starts with just the sound of birds before the train can be heard in the distance, then battling up Shap before fading away into the distance leaving just the sound of the birds again.  A very apt reflection on life.  I am looking forward to his funeral but the old devil shows every sign of living long enough to get a telegram (is it an email these days?) from HMQ (or her son or possibly grandson.)

Malcolm

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, dunwurken said:

I have a friend at the other end of the age spectrum, 88.  He has decreed that at his funeral a recording of a Stainier pacific will be played.  The recording apparently starts with just the sound of birds before the train can be heard in the distance, then battling up Shap before fading away into the distance leaving just the sound of the birds again.  A very apt reflection on life.  I am looking forward to his funeral but the old devil shows every sign of living long enough to get a telegram (is it an email these days?) from HMQ (or her son or possibly grandson.)

Malcolm

At a friend's cremation some dozen or so years ago, the committal began to the sounds of an A4 starting, which was a pleasant distraction from the coffin starting to move.

It was a fitting end to a fan of Gresley Pacifics.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I heard of one chap who insisted that the minister give the right away at his funeral, presumably immediately prior to the coffin being moved. I think I also heard of someone, possibly the same person, who insisted his coffin have a tail lamp on the back.

I think he/they was an ex-guard.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you achieve a diamond wedding her Maj now sends a card (providing you inform the palace she doesn't keep a list) rather than a telegram. I presume it is the same for a century.

Don 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Apropos Midland 2-4-0s, can this locomotive be derived from the Ratio 2-4-0, assuming one had one lying around?

Yes. By the time Johnson had had two goes at them, the 890 and 1070 Classes were distinguishable from the 1400 Class only by very minor details of the outside frame.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes. By the time Johnson had had two goes at them, the 890 and 1070 Classes were distinguishable from the 1400 Class only by very minor details of the outside frame.

Excellent news. Thank you. So, as it's apparently a good fit for the CA c.1905 period, that will be the visiting Midland locomotive. Hurrah!

So, at some point, we may see No.69A heading the West Norfolk's portion of "the Leicester" into Castle Aching!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Excellent news. Thank you. So, as it's apparently a good fit for the CA c.1905 period, that will be the visiting Midland locomotive. Hurrah!

So, at some point, we may see No.69A heading the West Norfolk's portion of "the Leicester" into Castle Aching!

To nitpick, the condition it's in is not appropriate for CA. The photo is probably summer 1907. In the summer of 1905 No 69A would have been in the condition she was in before the postulated 1906 overhaul, i.e. no dogs, no smokebox numberplate, diamond-shaped armorial device on the leading splasher, and almost certainly full Johnson livery.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

To nitpick, the condition it's in is not appropriate for CA. The photo is probably summer 1907. In the summer of 1905 No 69A would have been in the condition she was in before the postulated 1906 overhaul, i.e. no dogs, no smokebox numberplate, diamond-shaped armorial device on the leading splasher, and almost certainly full Johnson livery.

Thanks, but that's surely even better news, because I avoid the smokebox door fasteners, which to my mind add nothing to the elegance of the loco, and have her in the slightly older livery.  The key thing is that she's a Leicester engine and if she's on a South Lynn service in summer '07, she's a reasonable choice for working through to the WN in 1905.

With the lamp iron change, I suppose I'm going for a 1903-1906 condition for this loco?

I can discern the brass 69A on the rear splasher, so I'd keep that but ditch the smokebox plate?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If I were looking for a place to start, I'd probably start with the paintings of Vadim Voitekhovitch, one of which Annie posted, and more of which are posted here.  Clearly, airships are his 'thing', but lots of trains, too. 

Not surprisingly I dream of living in such a world.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks, but that's surely even better news, because I avoid the smokebox door fasteners, which to my mind add nothing to the elegance of the loco, and have her in the slightly older livery.  The key thing is that she's a Leicester engine and if she's on a South Lynn service in summer '07, she's a reasonable choice for working through to the WN in 1905.

No. 69A was the only class member consistently at Leicester over this period.

With the lamp iron change, I suppose I'm going for a 1903-1906 condition for this loco?

Naturally.

I can discern the brass 69A on the rear splasher, so I'd keep that but ditch the smokebox plate?

Just so. You know that Slaters do an etch of the brass numerals? (Also suitable for M&GN engines.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You know that Slaters do an etch of the brass numerals? (Also suitable for M&GN engines.)

I didn't, but do now. Excellent news, thank you. 

I assume a London Road dished smokebox door and a Johnson chimney should be fitted to de-Deeleyfy the Ratio model?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I assume a London Road dished smokebox door and a Johnson chimney should be fitted to de-Deeleyfy the Ratio model?

Yes, along with removing the smokebox wrapper rivets. Are the LRM components available separately? I have a small number of the Craftsman doors.

I need to investigate which height of Johnson chimney is correct.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes, along with removing the smokebox wrapper rivets. Are the LRM components available separately? I have a small number of the Craftsman doors.

I need to investigate which height of Johnson chimney is correct.

Thanks.

I have them.

I spoke to John at the York show, oh, April 2018, and asked him if he would kindly provide the castings.  He agreed, but explained that he was waiting on his supplier, so it could be a while. Well, some months later, good as his word, they arrived.

The intention is to do a MR 2-4-0 and a MGN C Class 4-4-0.  The castings come from the London Road slim-boiler MR 4-4-0 of course.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Thanks.

I have them.

I spoke to John at the York show, oh, April 2018, and asked him if he would kindly provide the castings.  He agreed, but explained that he was waiting on his supplier, so it could be a while. Well, some months later, good as his word, they arrived.

The intention is to do a MR 2-4-0 and a MGN C Class 4-4-0.  The castings come from the London Road slim-boiler MR 4-4-0 of course.  

But the M&GN Class C is the LRM 1808 Class kit?

37 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But the M&GN Class C is the LRM 1808 Class kit?

Yes, but I think we agreed that a re-styled valance and a de-Deeleyfied smokebox would get a C from a Ratio 4-4-0.

When I'm able to build an etched brass loco kit, I'll let you know!!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

When I'm able to build an etched brass loco kit, I'll let you know!!!!

Please give us all enough notice so that we can make arrangements for therapy well in advance... ;)

• Funny 1

Getting back to steam-punkery for a second, this has to be a winner: a bright blue, streamlined, fireless 0-8-0T, built by Heisler.

It so entirely excellent that I want a tinplate 0 gauge model of it, now! It actually looks as if it was designed by Lionel.

Only in the USA could anyone streamline an industrial shunting engine (I standby, ready to be proven wrong).

firerless.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Only in the USA could anyone streamline an industrial shunting engine (I standby, ready to be proven wrong).

and so we present the British Streamlined Sentinel. More Steampuppy than Steampunk I feel. Photo is on Mr Thompson's RT Models site where you can buy a 4mm scale kit of this creature.

sent.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

and so we present the British Streamlined Sentinel. More Steampuppy than Steampunk I feel. Photo is on Mr Thompson's RT Models site where you can buy a 4mm scale kit of this creature.

sent.jpg

Sweet!

A bit of plasticard and a Triang Dock Authority shunter mechanism, and Bobs your uncle*!

* Or Bjorn Stronginthearm...

• Funny 1