• RMweb Premium

Could be worse Nearholmer, you could have travelled all the way to Scotland behind a train pulled by one. 

All this Hornby steampunk stuff seems to have sparked much debate. I quite like the posh end rather than the Grunge end of steampunk, Overdone embellished mock gothic Victoriana rather than pointless pipework. But that maybe just me. 

Would I ever buy it?  Not  a chance. It is to me an an ideal scratchbuilders medium, the chance to express ones own fantasies not to copy the fantasies of others. 

Then again this was just five miles up the road, and kinda classy... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Dave John said:

I quite like the posh end rather than the Grunge end of steampunk, Overdone embellished mock gothic Victoriana rather than pointless pipework. But that maybe just me. 

It is to me an an ideal scratchbuilders medium, the chance to express ones own fantasies not to copy the fantasies of others. 

Two statements with which I wholeheartedly agree.

I couldn't help thinking what I'd do.  Actually, sometime ago I planned in my mind a multilevel Steampunk layout, the New Kensington Airship Terminal .  It featured some very tall versions of London architecture and lots of spindly metal viaducts.   A couple of nights ago, I dreamt up a good steampunky through station, which I was minded to call 'Maybury'.      

But, they will just join the queue of Never Never projects, right behind Ankh Morpork station!

396629312_MrsBradshawcover.jpg.9e2688663821bf6ed11d3f67d70c4cee.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
grammar
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

For proper Steampunk, try this:

F961289F-691E-41C9-918B-BC7F27294D28.jpeg.5cb3bcbdd85f7346a221f24355dac91a.jpeg

Have they merely glued a gearwheel on the side of that?

I feel that Bulleid was a fan of Steampunk, You only have to look at the "Leader" locomotive, and his Irish peat-burner for evidence!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

When it comes to Hornby's 2020 offerings, I must say that the W1 is incredibly tempting personally.

Sausage or Rebuilt?

I prefer the Soss, and its definitely a temptress.....

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

48408559541_6f65502ca0_b.jpg

Where's Ollie?  :jester:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as there are some knowledgeable people on here can any one either suggest or direct me to a suitable decoder and sound to go in an 0 gauge Railmotor with a mashima motor.  I see Youchoos list a railmotor sound on a Zimo decoder but I have no idea which decoder to choose. There is no DCC socket. I did cut the wires to the motor to fit a temporary decoder in but with no sound .

Thanks

33 minutes ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Rebuilt probably. Really I like either though. 

I could actually fit both into my little thirties LNER collection.  But the Grey Whale was a Darlington product, and you have to love its distinctiveness.  

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Sausage or Rebuilt?

I prefer the Soss, and its definitely a temptress.....

There is a picture of the (original - whatever that means) W1 on exhibition at Durham Elvet station.

It is surprising it was light enough to get there!

I must check and work out a route! 

• Like 1

Seeing that Stanley ‘doodlebug’ makes me think that CA should have one ...... not a railcar, but a ‘road motor’, because Stanley steam cars made a fair inroad in the British market at just the right date.

The Stanley system was exceedingly clever and advanced (500psi+ boiler pressure) and was able to compete effectively with internal combustion engines into the early 1920s. I’m sure that it had a lot of influence on Willans(sp?) who was the lead designer behind the Sentinels - I think Rolt probably talks about this in his autobiography, but I can’t remember.

I once had a good look round and a short ride on a canal narrow boat that had been fitted with Stanley-style boiler, and another one fitted with a gas-fired flash boiler ..... near silent power in both cases, like an electric boat.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Seeing that Stanley ‘doodlebug’ makes me think that CA should have one ...... not a railcar, but a ‘road motor’, because Stanley steam cars made a fair inroad in the British market at just the right date.

The Stanley system was exceedingly clever and advanced (500psi+ boiler pressure) and was able to compete effectively with internal combustion engines into the early 1920s. I’m sure that it had a lot of influence on Willans(sp?) who was the lead designer behind the Sentinels - I think Rolt probably talks about this in his autobiography, but I can’t remember.

I once had a good look round and a short ride on a canal narrow boat that had been fitted with Stanley-style boiler, and another one fitted with a gas-fired flash boiler ..... near silent power in both cases, like an electric boat.

Apropos railcars, 1905 lets me just trial a Dick Kerr internal combustion railcar on the Wolfringham branch.

Steam road transport I had not considered. 

But this could work ....

74460726_StanleySteamCarof1903.jpg.9cd0e553e8b9e3abfa284f4d5432d985.jpg

• Like 6

I don’t know dates exactly, but their slightly later model was better laid-out, with the boiler at the front, and looks at first glance like an i.c, car, without that daft suicide seat. There are a few on the steam rally circuit.

Now, you’ve planted an idea in my head for the Nelliebahn ..... I don’t think the LSWR had any early i.c. though, so they might have to borrow an LBSCR one.

• Like 2

Good question - they victim at the front didn’t have to steer it using foot pedals did they?!

Aha, I can see the steering linkage, and I reckon that piano front hinges open to create a foot-rest and give access to a socket into which the shaft of a steering wheel or tiller would drop.

The little brown ‘briefcase’ under the back of the car is the engine case - it was a seriously smart unit engine, all protected from dirt and weather by the case - and the boiler is in the box at the back.

The wheels aren’t much bigger than on my ‘going not-far slowly’ pushbike, and notice the tubular frame, all really lightweight.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, petethemole said:

So as I was beginning to suspect, one drives with the boot lid open as a footboard, if the front seat is occupied. It still looks like an effective means of ridding oneself of unwanted grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I don’t fancy yours...

Looking at the doodlebug, I was thinking it’s got radiators on top at the front just like the EMD thingys, but then I thought it ought be steam, then I realised they’re condensers, with the boiler water in a closed circuit with cylinder lubricating oil gradually leaking a bit at a time and getting into little nooks and crannies in the boiler, and read up about Stanley’s with the pressure of the boiler and piano wire boiler reinforcement and why weren’t there more you think, and maybe diesels might work better than that and would living in Canada really be a good option.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2