Norfolk is on the 'dry' side of the country – not that we haven't had several drenchings. The riverside meadows are mostly under water, something not missed by the local swan population who have moved in en masse. Apart from a couple of dislodged pantiles we are unaffected: it's the northerlies that do for us!

No problem with t'internet since BT laid the underground fibre connection...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Good half term?

OK, thanks, and you?  Well I worked, as best I could with rubbish internet. 

Weather not really of the going out variety.

Though the dogs like both, I prefer snow to mud!

259242663_IMG_7090-Copy.JPG.921764d56c1ef2bf669b7a91345e6c1d.JPG

848687925_IMG_7100-Copy.JPG.017c553e90bb0d783c2bba58d2a84472.JPG

• Like 9
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

February half-term is easily my least favourite, because it is almost always unpleasant outdoors, so becomes a bit of a challenge to avoid the children watching too much TV etc. It’s a particular issue with my son, whose life tends to revolve around maths (at school) and football (at home) - his matches have been cancelled three weeks in a row doe to flooded pitches, and he has lost about 4/6 training sessions, so he is like a caged tiger!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

February half-term is easily my least favourite, because it is almost always unpleasant outdoors, so becomes a bit of a challenge to avoid the children watching too much TV etc. It’s a particular issue with my son, whose life tends to revolve around maths (at school) and football (at home) - his matches have been cancelled three weeks in a row doe to flooded pitches, and he has lost about 4/6 training sessions, so he is like a caged tiger!

He needs a good indoor hobby...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

He’s sick of me banging on about how I used to use wet half-terms to build Airfix kits, so I’ve tuned that one down.

The neatest I can find to a solution is badminton, but he smashes me into humiliated defeat every time, so that has limited appeal from my perspective!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

22 hours ago, Annie said:

Just checking in to see how all our parishioners are managing with the the visitation of storm Dennis.  Things have been very quiet in the parish lately so I'm hoping all is well.

I see that January 2020 was the warmest January since proper weather records started to be kept circa 150 years ago which I think does not bode well for our little planet.

We lost phone and internet connection for 8 days due to storm Ciaira dumping water into local BT underground connection chambers.  compounded by storm Dennis a week later .

Have to say that Talktalk were unhelpful and didn't seem to know what was going on, ( "could be 3 weeks") and BT shrugged shoulders ..... "speak to your internet provider" . At least 3 other sufferers in our street are contacting Virgin ( Fibre cables already installed).... costs a little more but faster and more reliable .... we are supposed to get 27Mbps .. actually  normally about 15Mbps often down to 5 to7 

Edited by DonB
additional text.
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DonB said:

We lost phone and internet connection for 8 days due to storm Ciaira dumping water into local BT underground connection chambers.  compounded by storm Dennis a week later .

Have to say that Talktalk were unhelpful and didn't seem to know what was going on, ( "could be 3 weeks") and BT shrugged shoulders ..... "speak to your internet provider" . At least 3 other sufferers in our street are contacting Virgin ( Fibre cables already installed).... costs a little more but faster and more reliable .... we are supposed to get 27Mbps .. actually  normally about 15Mbps often down to 5 to7 

Because there is supposed to be a separation between BT and Open Reach. BT cannot take up issues with Open Reach on behalf of other suppliers. It doesn't help that the fault reporting goes via your supplier so you have no contact point with Open Reach. 

The ducts which carry the cables from chamber to chamber provide a route for storm water. We were working nights on a big cable when there was snow deeper than in James' picture on the ground. However a thaw started and the manhole we were in was at the bottom of the hill. Water started gushing out of the ducts coming downhill.

We needed to put a pump on the next one up to cut off the flow. So we had two engineers out going up the pavement  with an iron bar trying to hear the different sound of tapping on a chamber lid to locate the box. One irate resident woken by us came to the door and started a torrent of abuse which sort of dwindled as he realise it was workmen out in sleety snow and not kids mucking about. He turned and presumably went back to bed, which is where I would have prefered to be.

Don

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see those dogs at play looking rather proud of themselves covered in mud! I miss ours a lot and she loved nothing more than lying in the muddiest puddle or bog she could find! I trust Mrs Edwardian made you hose them down before allowing them on the carpet/sofa!!!!

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, my son's major interest in physical geography is glaciation, so he's rapidly becoming an expert on the effects of meltwater. I'm sure he'd be happy to come out from Durham, take some samples, and theorise.

And I'd be happy to greet him with a mop and bucket so he can master practice as well as theory.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

I'd just like to notify the members of the Parish Council that I've consulted my Medical Advisor this afternoon and have been prescribed a 7 day course of Amoxicillin for a belligerent chest infection.  It's NOT the Chinese Lurgy but you might like to lay in some facemasks and hand sanitiser for whenever I drop in. I'm feeling pretty rotten.

Its the reason I've been more or less absent from pleasurable discourse for the past week or so.

Anyhow, I'll spend the next week coughing, choking and spitting, consuming quantities of fluids and paracetamol at the regulated dosages, plus the Amox (3 times a day, equally spaced), whilst reading detective novels (all priced at 99p when downloaded) on the Kindle app on my Tablet.

Yep, the best bet is to Keep Taking The Tablet!!! :jester:

• Friendly/supportive 13

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Well, my son's major interest in physical geography is glaciation, so he's rapidly becoming an expert on the effects of meltwater. I'm sure he'd be happy to come out from Durham, take some samples, and theorise.

He'd better hurry up and graduate while there are still some glaciers left to study...

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Must be frustrating when the answers just get further and further away. 

Field trips to more and more remote locations... He's talking Noway or Iceland now. He taught himself Norwegian for a Scout exchange camp there a few years ago.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1