It even happens in quite large museum/archive collections - I found a run of mislocated images of the construction of the Met first station at Paddington, in the LT Museum collection. The archivist was ever so slightly embarrassed, but with thousands of images without date or location, minor cataloging errors must be almost inevitable.

K

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ratio Coaches:  gwr.org has the composite build date as 1891, and the other two as '?'.  However, the bake third is a T47, and the T49 was built in 1893 so you would think it was first built before that.  Russell says they are all 'turn of the century' so it is likely that they are all 1890s stock.  Whatever the exact date they are too modern to be sold second hand.

Gentleman's Light Sporting locomotive!

The duke of Sutherland had his own locomotive and saloon, both in the National Collection.  The saloon is currently on display at the Scottish Railway Museum at Bo'ness (or at least was the last time I was there last summer).

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not quite right there Jim. The big saloon is in the national collection, but Dunrobin and the Dukes small saloon are the property of Beamish museum, and Dunrobin is at the Severn Valley railway for restoration (new cylinders) and the small saloon is nearing the finish of its restoration by the Beamish staff.

I'm lucky enough to have the works drawings for the large saloon, with the intention of making the coach in 4mm. Its the interior that frightens me!

Andy G

• Like 1

there is only one engine a gentleman should consider

kings_lynn.jpg

https://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/locomotives/gazelle

I have the good fortune to lock her safely up a few days a year

Nick

Volunteer attendent  Colonel Stephens Museum

Just saw from the website that the picture above was taken in Kings Lynn. 

Built by Alfred Dodman who also quote "had considerable experience with

road traction engines and occasionally repaired shunting engines for local

companies such as the West Norfolk Farmers' Manure & Chemical Co. Ltd"

Sounds like one of the WNRs customers!

Just saw from the website that the picture above was taken in Kings Lynn. 

Built by Alfred Dodman who also quote "had considerable experience with

road traction engines and occasionally repaired shunting engines for local

companies such as the West Norfolk Farmers' Manure & Chemical Co. Ltd"

Sounds like one of the WNRs customers!

Yes, this has been mentioned, but I forgot!

Do we feel another Private Owner wagon coming on?

They could have a nice corrugated shed in Castle Aching goods yard, presumably near to Israel Turner's office.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If we go just a bit quicker, we will catch our own tail (tale?) in this thread.

i'm intrigued by the single telegraph pole in that set - presumably the circumference of the circle of track is less than the scale distance between poles. If you wanted telegraph wires, presumably you'd have to find some way of hanging circular loops of wire out sideways from the pole. Everything's downsized a bit from the picture on the box, including the signal!  

• Like 1

If we go just a bit quicker, we will catch our own tail (tale?) in this thread.

Well, that was post number 1304, on page 53, dated 26th July 2016. We've been some many places with WNR since then that I can't keep track.  ;)

• Like 2

Compound,

Something I've come to understand is that the 'olden-days' toy train makers were all pathological liars, when it came to box art.

Some of the German boxes would have you believe that you were actually being given for Christmas the whole of Bavaria, including the entire KBayStB, several mountains, a number of girls who looked a bit like Heidi, a goat, numerous chaps in lederhosen, Neuschwanstein Castle, and Mad King Ludwig himself ...... which must have caused great disappointment to any number of three year olds, when they discovered what was really inside.

Imagine the deep mental scars that this might Leave in a small boy, growing up in the 1890s ........ leaving him with a deep yearning to posses lands that train-set-boxes had promised would be his, but which were snatched away .........

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Well, that was post number 1304, on page 53, dated 26th July 2016. We've been some many places with WNR since then that I can't keep track.  ;)

That's probably because, despite nearing its first anniversary, the WNR hasn't got any track.

Edited by Edwardian

Do we feel another Private Owner wagon coming on?

For me it's a 'no brainer'.  Up there with Glasgow Corporation's 'Sewage Disposal' wagons.

post-25077-0-50728500-1484939707.jpg

Apologies for the quality, cropped from a postcard sized image of a CR boiler wagon.

The three wagons to the right were Glasgow Police Commissioners manure wagons.  The Police Commisioners were responsible for street cleansing before that was taken over by the Corporation.  They never carried any lettering.

Jim

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

keep track what track ? :jester:

me I have trouble somedays remember what I wanted to say when I open my mouth  :senile:

Nick

• Like 1

For me it's a 'no brainer'.  Up there with Glasgow Corporation's 'Sewage Disposal' wagons.

attachicon.gifGlasgow Corpn. Sewage wagons.jpg

Apologies for the quality, cropped from a postcard sized image of a CR boiler wagon.

The three wagons to the right were Glasgow Police Commissioners manure wagons.  The Police Commisioners were responsible for street cleansing before that was taken over by the Corporation.  They never carried any lettering.

Jim

They are a delightful series of wagons, thanks, but, my goodness me, they did exactly what they said on the tin!  At least Kevin stopped short at fossilised ordure!

Police manure wagons is a concept just too pregnant with irony, but do I detect on the second wagon from the right the fabled "Scotch Brake"?

As it is, I realise that I have to invent not merely fictional swathes of an 'expanded Norfolk', but a rocky offshore island to provide a guano supply, unless the Norfolk Guano & Fish Oil Co had negotiated the Heligoland Concession with the Kaiser?

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Ratio Coaches:  gwr.org has the composite build date as 1891, and the other two as '?'.  However, the bake third is a T47, and the T49 was built in 1893 so you would think it was first built before that.  Russell says they are all 'turn of the century' so it is likely that they are all 1890s stock.  Whatever the exact date they are too modern to be sold second hand.

GWR T47 were even newer than T49 being built in 1900/2. http://www.penrhos.me.uk/Tdiags.shtml#T47

If you can get the old K's kit for a GWR 5 compartment all third that is more like what you might want. The earliest examples were built in 1872, wooden underframes and were condemned after 30 or so years.

• RMweb Gold

I quite like a continuous run it give locos a chance to stretch their legs. However going round in circles is perhaps not what Edwardian had in mind for the railway or the thread not that it matters. Life repeats itself often enough.

Don

• Like 2

I quite like a continuous run it give locos a chance to stretch their legs. However going round in circles is perhaps not what Edwardian had in mind for the railway or the thread not that it matters. Life repeats itself often enough.

Don

It is Friday.

I have wine.

I really don't mind.

Please feel free to talk amongst yourselves on anything that takes your fancy.

After all, tradition must be maintained.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

About the time of your modelling era for the WNR, Heligoland was ours, not theirs. (We pinched it off the Danes sometime earlier, but gave it away to kaiser bill a few years before WW1. Talking of affairs German, could the WNR use some latrine wagons, rather than manure wagons? Used to ferry contents of sewer outlets from the cities to some convenient discharge point well away.post-26540-0-57140300-1484941798.jpg

Whoops, splash!

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

GWR T47 were even newer than T49 being built in 1900/2. http://www.penrhos.me.uk/Tdiags.shtml#T47

If you can get the old K's kit for a GWR 5 compartment all third that is more like what you might want. The earliest examples were built in 1872, wooden underframes and were condemned after 30 or so years.

Thank you.  I do have your sire bookmarked but did not think of looking at it when I was looking for information about the Ratio coaches, :banghead: .  It did not appear to come up in a Google search though.  (Sorry for cross posting)

• RMweb Gold

It is Friday.

I have wine.

I really don't mind.

Please feel free to talk amongst yourselves on anything that takes your fancy.

After all, tradition must be maintained.

I think we do feel free and if I had the wine I would drink a toast to your good self.

Don

• Like 1

Police manure wagons is a concept just too pregnant with irony, but do I detect on the second wagon from the right the fabled "Scotch Brake"?

The PC's wagons all had the single brake block which was standard on CR and NBR wagons up to the late 1880's.  Note the brake handle on the CR 7T mineral 'bogie' at the extreme left.  I  can't make out whether the sewage wagons have one or two shoes.   NBR wagons tended to have the pivot nearer the centre of the vehicle with a push rod to the brake shoe.   I have further details of them in an old HMRS journal somewhere.

Jim