11 minutes ago, runs as required said:

Please Sir! Smee aigin.

Son has just rung from Oxford (lucky B's had the virus) complaining that because a few bad  Comp. lads were caught out on the street misbehaving The Whole School has been put in Detention for 3 weeks !

dh

Shades from the distant past.....

J

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I have to confess that "Birmingham" is a bit of a of a fib - it was actually Sutton Coldfield, where sex is what coal was delivered in. 

Apologies to those from the far side of Barr Beacon but I'm afraid I found the Black Country accent ideal for Eeyore when reading Winnie the Pooh out loud to my children, when they were at the age. Appalling cultural stereotyping. 

Aynuk sees Ayli (Enoch sees Eli) fishing in the cut.

"Yow catch anything, our kid?"

"Oi caught a whale"

"A whale? Wur iz it thun?"

"Oi threw it back."

"Wy you do that then?"

"It 'ad no spokes to it."

My poor kids.

I'm not a great hand at accents or impersonations, though of the latter I can do two fairly recognisably. Thus, when reading to the bairns, the Fat Controller was Winston Churchill, while Gandalf, and just about everyone else who needed to sound a bit different (from me), was Alec Guinness. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

We live on the London/Essex border.  Our kids sometimes come out with the oddest combinations.  Castle with a long “a” followed by “wa’er”.  Ive also taught them “fizzog”, “oss” etc so as they know some real words...

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Castle with a long “a” followed by “wa’er”. 

My favourite TV ad ever (featuring the incomparable and splendidly named Sylvestra le Touzel (who was a memorable Fanny Price in my younger days)):

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

On 22/03/2020 at 04:27, drmditch said:

This film has been discussed on this thread before.

Inspired by: Lord Louis Mountbatten

Original 'inspiring speech' material: Lord Louis Mountbatten

The naval officer most likely to place his ship(s) in the wrong place at the wrong time: Lord Louis Mountbatten

(Probably excepting the sinking of the Kelly - on which the film is based.)

Only contributor to the film with an ego greater than that of Noel Coward: Lord Louis Mountbatten.

Comment by a later colleague of Lord Louis : "Dickie, you are so twisted that if you swallowed a nail you would s**t a corkscrew'

Nonetheless, for a morale booting 1942 patriotic epic it's rather fun.

Also noted in the credits , along with the galaxy of contemporary and future British icons, including her father a very young Juliet Mills.

It was said about Lord Louis as the Kelly sank, "There's no-one I would rather be with in a situation like this   ...   and no-one who could get me into such a situation quicker".

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Late to the party again, however I am sure that uax6 will confirm that my Yorkshire accent belies 35+ years residence in Norfolk.

I traditionally use the very short a.

As a chorister I can always remember the choirmaster tearing his hair out at the bass recitative in Blessed be the God and Father by Wesley!

For all flesh is as GRASS and all the ...etc etc. The GRASS withereth etc, etc

Its not GRASS!! Try to sing groawss. It sounds much better!

He was exceedingly unsuccessful in his endeavour. Everytime we sing it now I can always remember his pained look.

Still I was always told that a broad Yorkshire accent gave you an advantage when singing latin, not that anyone agrees with me at the minster.

Ian T

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I will, and although I was born in Norfolk, I am to Liverpudlain parents, so I have the same affliction....

Its the way its supposed to be!

Andy g

• Friendly/supportive 1

Cob is a hard-working word...

10 hours ago, Clearwater said:

A bread roll is of course properly known as a cob.

Evidently a "Midland" usage, according to Google!

9 hours ago, webbcompound said:

Well that is the first three weeks of lockdown sorted as the small baked goods naming discussion begins.

Again....

Its also:

A male swan.

A stocky horse with short legs. (A sort of "Mixed Traffic" horse...)

A rural building material.

To have a cob on/really have a cob on is to be annoyed/very annoyed. (usually with someone)

A contraction of cobnut (Hazlenut)

In East Anglia a colloquial name for a gull, especially the black-backed gull

A spider, a fish, a Herrings head.

And so on....  :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Cob is a hard-working word...

Evidently a "Midland" usage, according to Google!

Midland cobs - at least the two on the left?

1501551204_DY2732HorsesatLondonRoadStablesDerby.jpg.67f2607602415ed24d9a1d570606bfa0.jpg

Derby London Road stables, 16 August 1905. NRM DY 2732, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

A few days into Teacher Training we met with the Head of the Drama Dept.  We were there to discover how to speak with clarity, project our voice and with a manner designed to encourage attention to the topic being taught.  The first session included accents, which were considered fine - with the obvious limit that there must be comprehend by the recipients.  To illustrate, he asked the assembled rabble to introduce themselves without mention of their birthplace, which place he proceeded to identify from the few words spoken.

There were only two, whose birthplace he could not identify.  At this point, it might be of note that within London, he could identify to within 4 streets of the student's origin and did so, with 180 examples to demonstrate the location skill.  For the two he struggled with, he asked them to speak about a couple of more subjects, but still didn't feel he could point to the location.  Once more with answers to disconnected subjects, but no closer to giving a location.  A bit of head scratching and a few moments later, he asked if either had parents who were teachers.  Both of us put our hands up.  178 students birth places identified and two whose teacher parents had denied them their heritage.

Ummm!  I just have wonder how many other similar channeling of ideas, teachers might have led to pupils being fed some strange attitudes to guide them to their future.  :rolleyes:

Julian

Was his name Professor Higgins then?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A male swan.

A rural building material.

In East Anglia a colloquial name for a gull, especially the black-backed gull

These are the ones I know. Seriously, a bread roll being called a cob? What kind of alien planet did you come from?

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I thought Peterborough was fairly close to Norfolk.

I wish. Then I could visit the Nene Valley Railway.

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

These are the ones I know. Seriously, a bread roll being called a cob? What kind of alien planet did you come from?

.....   Oui, gerroff!!!

Julian

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, webbcompound said:

as opposed to "getting off at Clapham"  (or Chalfont and Latimer if you are posh) which is a very different activity

A Strine RAF ‘Guinea Pig’ friend of my old dad was over for their annual East Grinstead get-to-tether and arranged to stay the night with my dad near Sevenoaks. 

The problem started when he (uncle Ray to me) boarded a train ‘on the Brighton side’.

”Change at ‘erne‘ill for Sevenoaks’” the ticket inspector re-assured him.

Down at Brighton he rang my dad to complain:

”We never ever stopped at bl00dy O’Neil”

dh

• Funny 8

At Aspatria in M&CR days, the following differential information was supposedly given to passengers:

• To first class passengers   - "Haspatriah, change hear for Mealsgate"
  • To second class passengers  - "Speattry change 'ere for Mealsyat"
  • To third class  passengers  - "Spatry loup oot !"
Edited by CKPR
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

When travelling on a Scotrail train from Newcastle to Carlisle a few years back the recorded announcement approaching Prudhoe was "The next station is Prood-hoe". Eventually they changed it to "the next station is Prudder" so the locals could understand.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine tried to buy a ticket to Besses o' th' Barn from Manchester Victoria, in the days when it was a railway station. He failed utterly on asking for "Besses of the Barn" - only by putting on an exaggerated Mancunian accent could he make himself understood.

• Like 5

From accent to syntax: a telling Grammatical distinction -the difference between "I was sitting" and "I was sat" ?

The latter was used by the Health Secretary when referring to being next to Nadine Doris on the Commons benches today.  

One time English teacher wife was quick to suggest that the past participle rather than the imperfect tense inferred that Dominic Cummins someone had directed him to sit next to Nadine Doris after she had returned having recovered from the Covid-19 virus. 

:triniti:

dh

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

In Australian terms Peterborough's just down the road from Norfolk 

Don

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

My Wife, born and bred at the southern edge of the Cannock coalfield and from a coal-mining family, in those far-off times did well enough to get a place at a grammar school (previously a fee-paying school), She will tell anyone that the first classes she attended were elocution lessons. In consequence she has a  not-quite-posh accent, which is a stark contrast to my mixed Black Country / Birmingham / Derby intonation, reflecting the places where I have worked, usually in close proximity to the industrial work-shop. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1