• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, runs as required said:

'Morning rolls' I can remember as a legit excuse for being late in the CCE's office at Kings Cross early in the permissive 1960s

Happy Days !

dh

Yeah right. If you can remember the 60s, you weren't there, etc.

• Funny 1

36 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yeah right. If you can remember the 60s, you weren't there, etc.

You speak for yourself!  I was too busy learning how to hit the centre of a snap target with a .303", without smashing my cheekbone into a thousand pieces.

Julian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Well, as a native of Leicestershire, I can certainly claim "cob" as pukka local usage.

As a young barrister on the Northern Circuit, I genuinely had no idea what a barm, or barm cake, was, until I encountered sandwich shops in Manchester; just like sandwich shops elsewhere, except with barms.

I have to say, having grown up with sensibly-sized "crusty cobs", I found barms something of an affront; too large white and and soft (or am I thinking of baps?) for my taste. I miss crusty cobs. 

As a fellow Leicestershirean, I would agree with our esteemed fellow. 

Rolls were known as cobs in our household, be they soft or crusty. 

My OH, who is from Nottingham, is again different. In his family, they call soft cobs baps, rolls were the long thin ones (finger rolls I think is the correct terminology?), and cobs were crusty. 

When I moved to Derby for university, the correct term here was baps. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, teaky said:

Anyone else familiar with "cob" in the non bread context?  For example: " 'ees got a cob on "  or  " 'ees got a bit of a cob on ".

16 minutes ago, TT-Pete said:

Have we had "cob nuts" yet? Either the fruit or coal variety...

I refer my esteemed colleagues to the partial list on page 980, posted Tuesday at 07:39.  :whistle:

I've not heard of coal cobs.

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

How about "sweating cobs"?

Forgot that one!

Edited by Hroth
  • Thanks 1

Filbert,  as in Leicester City's old ground.

You got morning rolls in London?!  I never tracked them down in 30 years of living there. You could get them in Corby though, which is pretty much part of Scotland. 

I first encountered having a cob on in Liverpool. 

Alan 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I found barms something of an affront; too large white and and soft (or am I thinking of baps?) for my taste. I miss crusty cobs. 

The 'crusty cob' is quite frankly useless for a chip butty, unlike the aforementioned barm...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Have we had "cob nuts" yet? Either the fruit or coal variety...

In the coal industry I remember 'cobbles', 'nuts' (and 'peas', 'grains', and yes even 'lumps'!) but I don't remember 'cobnuts'.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

My OH, who is from Nottingham, is again different. In his family, they call soft cobs baps, rolls were the long thin ones (finger rolls I think is the correct terminology?), and cobs were crusty. 

Three counties separated by a common language.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Just a note for the Wireless Listeners Circle. Todays "In Our Time" mulled over George and Robert Stephenson.

"In a programme first broadcast on April 12 2018, Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the contribution of George Stephenson (1781-1848) and his son Robert (1803-59) to the development of the railways in the 19th Century. George became known as The Father of Railways and yet arguably Robert's contribution was even greater, with his engineering work going far beyond their collaboration. Robert is credited with the main role in the design of their locomotives. George had worked on stationary colliery steam engines and, with Robert, developed the moving steam engine Locomotion No1 for the Stockton and Darlington Railway in 1825. They produced the Rocket for the Rainhill Trials on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1829. From there, the success of their designs and engineering led to the expansion of railways across Britain and around the world. with Dr Michael Bailey Railway historian and editor of the most recent biography of Robert Stephenson Julia Elton Past President of the Newcomen Society for the History of Engineering and Technology and Colin Divall Professor Emeritus of Railway Studies at the University of York Producer: Simon Tillotson This programme is a repeat."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p087jtj6

Edited by Hroth
Link to webpage
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, wagonman said:

In the coal industry I remember 'cobbles', 'nuts' (and 'peas', 'grains', and yes even 'lumps'!) but I don't remember 'cobnuts'.

I remember that's what my Dad called the uniform rounded (processed?) coal delivered by the sack load by the coalman off the back of a flat bed lorry and tipped into the coal bunker outside the back door, possibly an Americanism?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cob coal

11 hours ago, wagonman said:

Wimbledon ... Very prosaic

Sometimes it requires judicious editing to extract the underlying truth of prose.

10 hours ago, runs as required said:

'Morning rolls' I can remember

I can't, far too many years ago. 

9 hours ago, NeilHB said:

Thinking about it, our family preference was for crusty cobs.  I daresay all bun-shaped bread rolls were cobs, otherwise "crusty" would have been an unnecessary qualification.

Interesting.  We lived not that far from the Notts border, so some overlap in usage possible.  Nottingham girls were renowned as great beauties in our locality.

Having seen the centre of Derby on a Saturday night, I can but agree.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, NeilHB said:

And upon this, the British Empire was built.....

• Funny 3

6 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I remember that's what my Dad called the uniform rounded (processed?) coal delivered by the sack load by the coalman off the back of a flat bed lorry and tipped into the coal bunker outside the back door, possibly an Americanism?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cob coal

I think the trade name for that stuff was Phurnacite _ an early 'smokeless' fuel. About the size of a cobble though.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, runs as required said:

I agree cob is used now and again for a small inedibly hard bread roll in a posher restaurant*.

But never for the more common Stottie which was being spread throughout the nation by Greggs of Gosforth till the Plague hit.

There was also a Scouse word which I now forget that small boys in serge uniforms would fetch for you into Corpy offices at dinner time

An old friend from Liverpool Corpy days rang today to check whether we were still alive.

So I asked him what the word was we used for buns

"Baps"  he said

I am ashamed to admit I'd been trying to remember "tottie" which in Liverpudlian is wanting something quite different

dh

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2